Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My apologies if this has been asked and answered already, but will the Model 3 be getting the 4680s concurrently with the Y? I'm about to pull the trigger on a M3P or MYP order and this is one of the deciding factors.
@RVAC and @civicdrivr are both correct. There's been no indication at all that the Model 3 will get 4680 cells anytime soon, and I think it's exceedingly unlikely to happen in 2022, all things considered. That said anything could happen. ;)

Tesla has publicly stated the following vehicles are slated for 4680 cells:
  • Model Y (as part of introduction of front megacasting and structural battery pack)
  • Semi
  • Cybertruck (if I recall correctly)
Cybertruck seems a ways out from production regardless of battery cell availability, but both the updated Model Y and the Semi seem like they're pretty much ready to go, and will need massive production of 4680 cells to match build demand. So I think it's extremely unlikely that Model 3 will switch to 4680 cells in the near future, there's too many vehicles ahead in the queue for them, and the Model 3 is already Tesla's most efficient vehicle (if I recall correctly - that or the latest Model S is).

Reactions: blinkme323
Tesla clearly showed the M3P lower than the LR when you selected it when ordering. Here is a snippet I captured from when I ordered mine in January.

I have concerns that I too ordered a vehicle with lowered suspension and will not receive what I paid for. I will wait and see what Tesla delivers. While others may accept such changes without concern, I do not believe I will be inclined to take such an approach.
My M3P is due for delivery on the 10th March and after reading all the speculation I’m a bit worried about mine looking like a truck 🤣

Although if you go onto Tesla on the mobile site and go to the model 3 and scroll down to wheels the lowered suspension is still listed but still strange why this has been removed from the other part??

When’s yours due?

Attachments

• 5D1C1B45-E134-40D7-B748-4241DCC33608.png
    5D1C1B45-E134-40D7-B748-4241DCC33608.png
    510 KB · Views: 245
Easiest way is to ask for the WLTP range. This is one stat that Tesla do have to hand and will share.

567km is Panasonic 3L. 547km is LG 5L.
I'll try and ask the SA again tomorrow (Monday) but I won't hold my breath, it's like getting blood from a stone!

As far as WLTP goes, during my order I was asked if I wanted to continue due to an adjusted lower range with the new infotainment system (I assume the AMD Ryzen). Does this mean I get the lower WLTP and LG 5L? On the Tesla Australia website the current stated WLTP for the M3P is 547km.

This is the only definite information I have -
VIN LRW3F7EL4NC485xxx - (L at space 8 meaning hairpin winding motors)
Engine numbers Front:TG321338002V2T Rear:TG322009002M20

Delivery is on Wednesday, is there anything on the screen that could tell me which battery I have?

It probably doesn't make a big enough difference in the end but I'm just curious and like to know the technical details.

If I order a P3 now in the U.S. will it come with the new ryzen, double laminated read side windows, and updated hairpin motor? If oil prices explode, then I think the tesla;s prices will be going up. Was going to wait until summer.

If I order a P3 now in the U.S. will it come with the new ryzen, double laminated read side windows, and updated hairpin motor? If oil prices explode, then I think the tesla;s prices will be going up. Was going to wait until summer.
I haven't seen any reports of rear laminated windows from Fremont. And I think only China is making hairpin motors right now.

Reactions: ay221 and Sporty
If I order a P3 now in the U.S. will it come with the new ryzen, double laminated rear side windows, and updated hairpin motor? If oil prices explode, then I think the tesla;s prices will be going up. Was going to wait until summer.
From what I've seen online no double laminated rear side windows have made it to Australia yet, it does look like the Ryzen is out in the current deliveries.

It seems there is a bit of a delay between a planned feature release and a delivered feature, varying between factory and destination.
Who knows if you order now what you'll receive? You could ask your local Tesla SA what the local MP3s are being delivered with today?

Last edited:
Reactions: ay221
My M3P is due for delivery on the 10th March and after reading all the speculation I’m a bit worried about mine looking like a truck 🤣

Although if you go onto Tesla on the mobile site and go to the model 3 and scroll down to wheels the lowered suspension is still listed but still strange why this has been removed from the other part??

When’s yours due?

The "lowered" suspension on the Performance is barely lower than the SR or LR. I took delivery of a 2022 Performance last Thursday and it's got quite a bit of wheel gap, but I believe it's partly due to the wheels having a relatively tame offset and the stretched tires.

Point Blur_Feb252022_210830.jpeg

The "lowered" suspension on the Performance is barely lower than the SR or LR. I took delivery of a 2022 Performance last Thursday and it's got quite a bit of wheel gap, but I believe it's partly due to the wheels having a relatively tame offset and the stretched tires.

View attachment 774834
I spoke to Tesla yesterday and they said that they have no clarity on whether it has been removed or not but that they were only lowered by 10mm - good point about the tyres/wheels..

there is a bit of a gap on yours but doesn’t detract from how great it looks!

Congrats on the car, looks stunning!

Only 10 days till mine arrives now 😃

Reading here It looks like the Ryzen chips reduce the range on the M3 LR and not the SR RWD (makes no sense). Loosing 3-4% due to ryzen, 3-4% increased degradation in first 3 years, and 10% reserve charge, it looks like capacity will be the same?
@Chupapi Munyay I wouldn't worry about any range difference from MCU3. Some of those WLTP range changes that Tesla attributed to MCU3 went up instead of down! Clearly there's other factors at play, or just variance in the test results, and I think it would be extremely difficult to isolate a measurable real-world change to MCU3 vs MCU2.

Other changes to these cars have had far greater real-world impact to range. Like the heat pump, and different battery packs.

I would bet very large money almost nobody will see 3-4% drop in their real-world driving range from MCU3 vs MCU2.

here is a photo of the pzero on my 2022 model 3p:
Pzeo on 2022 m3p.jpg

and here is a photo of a ps4 on the same car. i swapped tires because i much prefer the ps4s because my old 2020 m3p had ps4s.
ps4 on 2022 m3p.jpg

and for reference here is a shot of my old 2020 m3p with ps4's

ps4 on 2020 m3p.jpg

not scientific -- just a cat who used a measure tape and took some potato shots :)

i think the pzeros are the culprit. once i put ps4s back on the height is near the same as the 2020 m3p.

for reference, here is an old shot of my 2020 m3p. see if you can compare it to @civicdrivr 's photo...

2020m3p.jpg

here is a photo of the pzero on my 2022 model 3p:
View attachment 775074

and here is a photo of a ps4 on the same car. i swapped tires because i much prefer the ps4s because my old 2020 m3p had ps4s.
View attachment 775076

and for reference here is a shot of my old 2020 m3p with ps4's

View attachment 775077

not scientific -- just a cat who used a measure tape and took some potato shots :)

i think the pzeros are the culprit. once i put ps4s back on the height is near the same as the 2020 m3p.

for reference, here is an old shot of my 2020 m3p. see if you can compare it to @civicdrivr 's photo...

View attachment 775078
@lUtriaNt What size PS4S did you put on? They look a little less stretched on the 9" wide Uberturbines than the PZ4 as best I can tell from that angle.

It makes sense that the Uberturbine stretched tire setup accentuates the wheel gap vs the previous 8.5" wide M3P wheels. The stretch effectively makes the sidewall even shorter. And if the PZ4 are narrower than the PS4S in the same OE 235/35R20 size it's all the worse...

From what I've seen online no double laminated rear side windows have made it to Australia yet, it does look like the Ryzen is out in the current deliveries.

It seems there is a bit of a delay between a planned feature release and a delivered feature, varying between factory and destination.
Who knows if you order now what you'll receive? You could ask your local Tesla SA what the local MP3s are being delivered with today?
I just spoke with my SA regarding my M3P that's ready for pickup tomorrow and he confirmed no dual pane on the rear windows, only single pane as expected.

Reactions: Lindenwood
@lUtriaNt What size PS4S did you put on? They look a little less stretched on the 9" wide Uberturbines than the PZ4 as best I can tell from that angle.

It makes sense that the Uberturbine stretched tire setup accentuates the wheel gap vs the previous 8.5" wide M3P wheels. The stretch effectively makes the sidewall even shorter. And if the PZ4 are narrower than the PS4S in the same OE 235/35R20 size it's all the worse...
same size. 20s. thats the same uber wheel. 235 35 20. agree the stretched look of the pzers make the gap look more pronounced.

Regarding range decrease - I took delivery of my M3P last week and in the official papers (COC) the WLTP range is 559km down from 567km with the new (Ryzen) processor and the old (Panasonic 3L) battery. 547km is likely only for units that have both the LG 5L battery and Ryzen.

• Informative
Reactions: milesr3
Regarding range decrease - I took delivery of my M3P last week and in the official papers (COC) the WLTP range is 559km down from 567km with the new (Ryzen) processor and the old (Panasonic 3L) battery. 547km is likely only for units that have both the LG 5L battery and Ryzen.
Does your COC show the actual battery type?
I'm just trying to work out how to identify the battery on my M3P in Australia since we don't get a COC here.