Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 Model 3 Performance that was manufactured on 11/02/2021. I think it was one of the first 2022 Model 3 cars made. It is identical to the last 2021 Model 3 performance cars that were made. This was before they started using the lighter secondary battery and the new chip. I was able to get an 11.43 @ 117.67 mph 1/4 mile with the 20" UberHeavy wheels. My 0-60 mph was 3.23 without rollout subtracted and 3.04 with 1 foot rollout subtracted. I checked and mine has the 3D1 rear motor.

On Dragy someone has a European 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance with the 3D6 rear motor. They were able to get an 11.36 @ 118.60 1/4 mile with a 3.23(without rollout) and 3.03(with rollout) 0-60 mph time. Almost all of the difference between the 3D1 and 3D6 motors comes above ~90+ mph. The 3D6 motor pulls harder up top.
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Some interesting discussion on the 5L vs. 3L batteries over on tff-forum.de

3L vs. 5L conclusions.png

And some graphs showing the maximum discharge power vs. SoC at different temperatures.

At 50C
3L vs. 5L @50C.png

At 30C
3L vs. 5L @30C.png

At 15C
3L vs. 5L @15C.png

I don't use SMC so I have no idea what temperature my battery is when cold, after pre-conditioning, when driving continuously or after DC charging. With my butt-dyno I can feel that the car feels very lively after a 250kW Supercharge to >70% SoC!

@eivissa it would be good to understand what 'normal' steady-state battery temperatures are? If 30C is 'normal', there isn't a huge difference between the 3L and 5L. Then the 78-79kWh capacity of the 5L is appealing over the mid-70s of the 3L. My 3L is around 77kWh after 5,000km, down from an indicated 80kWh new.

Last edited:
Some interesting discussion on the 5L vs. 3L batteries over on tff-forum.de

View attachment 812080

And some graphs showing the maximum discharge power vs. SoC at different temperatures.

At 50C
View attachment 812081

At 30C
View attachment 812082

At 15C
View attachment 812083

I don't use SMC so I have no idea what temperature my battery is when cold, after pre-conditioning, when driving continuously or after DC charging. With my butt-dyno I can feel that the car feels very lively after a 250kW Supercharge to >70% SoC!

@eivissa it would be good to understand what 'normal' steady-state battery temperatures are? If 30C is 'normal' then there isn't a huge difference between the 3L and 5L. Then the 78-79kWh capacity of the 5L is appealing over the mid-70s of the 3L. My 3L is hovering just above 77kWh after 5,000km.
They need to understand how it copes with heat to know how it may be different on a track. However so far it doesn’t seem like a bad change at all. The fact we haven’t seen 0-60 change then this battery is still giving enough performance to achieve this figure.

@eivissa it would be good to understand what 'normal' steady-state battery temperatures are? If 30C is 'normal', there isn't a huge difference between the 3L and 5L. Then the 78-79kWh capacity of the 5L is appealing over the mid-70s of the 3L. My 3L is around 77kWh after 5,000km, down from an indicated 80kWh new.
When I reviewed my normal highway journeys with the kids at 130-150kph max and no pre-conditioning I've found two relevant answers in Teslalogger.
  • The Delta between outside temperature and cell temperature is between 10-20°C.
  • Even at cold temperatures, you see the battery pack stabilizing at around 20°C after around 30 minutes of driving.
This should give you an idea were you stand in the charts, without using a tool to read-out your cell temperatures.

In general: the faster you drive, the more heat is transferred from the drive unit into the battery pack.

They need to understand how it copes with heat to know how it may be different on a track. However so far it doesn’t seem like a bad change at all. The fact we haven’t seen 0-60 change then this battery is still giving enough performance to achieve this figure.
My 2022 Model 3 Performance is slightly slower than previous year Model 3 Performance cars. However, I think that is because of the new UberHeavy wheels. They are even heavier than previous 20" wheels on the Model 3 Performance cars. I have both Dragy results and Dragslips for my Model 3 Performance with the 20" Uberheavies. I am getting some fairly lightweight 18" wheels with PS4S tires next week. I expect to see some measurable improvements for 0-60 mph all the way through the 1/4 mile. I am not sure if it will improve efficiency. That has been really good for me even with the 20" wheels and tires.

Reactions: tm1v2 and delta0
My 2022 Model 3 Performance is slightly slower than previous year Model 3 Performance cars. However, I think that is because of the new UberHeavy wheels. They are even heavier than previous 20" wheels on the Model 3 Performance cars. I have both Dragy results and Dragslips for my Model 3 Performance with the 20" Uberheavies. I am getting some fairly lightweight 18" wheels with PS4S tires next week. I expect to see some measurable improvements for 0-60 mph all the way through the 1/4 mile. I am not sure if it will improve efficiency. That has been really good for me even with the 20" wheels and tires.
I have a Model 3 Performance that is to be delivered in two weeks. What wheels are getting and what size PS4S?

I have a Model 3 Performance that is to be delivered in two weeks. What wheels are getting and what size PS4S?
I am getting the T Sportline TS5 18" 8.5" wide wheels and 18/45/235 PS4S tires. Here is a link to the package. Their wheels look expensive but this package includes the UberExpensive TPMS sensors. They are supposed to be plug and play as well. Some wheels require modifications to fit on a Model 3 Performance.

Reactions: Shay Glass
Please let us know your results.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
3L. There are no known 5L M3P cars that have been reported in customers hands yet. Do also bear in mind 5L is a newer battery and Tesla take a while before they get it fully optimised. If the newer battery reduced the performance they would not be able to advertise it with the current acceleration numbers as it would be false advertising.
What is the best way to check what battery my 2022 Model 3 Performance has?

However so far it doesn’t seem like a bad change at all.
The thing that I've learned is that, apart from at less than 20% SoC, the 5L always has less available power than the 3L. Both exhibit a rapid reduction of power below 20% SoC, which will significantly reduce the performance. The 5L is the least worst in this regard. I thought that the 5L might have more available power than the 3L at lower temperatures. This, I thought, would provide better performance without needing to actively warm the battery pack or in cooler climates (like the UK). The available power of the 5L is closest to the 3L when warm (30C) and worse when colder.

The performance of the M3P is entirely dependent on the available battery power. In this regard over 80% of the usual SoC range and temperature the 3L will provide better performance. I wouldn't categorise it as a good change. It is probably motivated by cost saving and/or holding the current price of the M3P, whilst the still meeting the published homogeneous performance stats, across a number of battery and motor sub-systems.

There's always a trade-off though and it could be that the 5L will have lower degradation than the 3L. Looking at some charts from Teslalogger.de the 3L has typically degraded by 7.3% at 50,000km vs. 6.4% for the 5L.

M3 LR P 2021
Degradation M3 LR P 2021.png

M3 LR
Degradation M3 LR.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
What is the best way to check what battery my 2022 Model 3 Performance has?
Probably the battery sticker that you can see by sticking your phone in the front right wheel arch and taking a photo (better tutorials can be found here in TMC), but then what is the point...as a US citizen you can be about 99% sure that your 2022 performance has the Panasonic 2170L 82kWh pack and most likely the latest revision W. LG battery packs are only found in cars outside of the US market (or countries supplied by US Gigafactories these days).
There's always a trade-off though and it could be that the 5L will have lower degradation than the 3L. Looking at some charts from Teslalogger.de the 3L has typically degraded by 7.3% at 50,000km vs. 6.4% for the 5L.
The second chart "M3 LR" is showing the Model 3 Long Range 2019/2020 with the Panasonic 3L 77,8kWh pack, not the LG 5L.

Since the Refresh 2021 has so many different battery packs it is hard to separate them in these charts.

Either select the M3 LR 2021 chart and only look at cars that are reporting more than 554km from the start, which still also includes EU Q2/2021 Panasonic 3L Long Range and all US Panasonic 3 and 3L packs.

The only certain LG 5L chart is the Model Y LR 2022 MIC, which doesnt show cars with high mileage...obviously.

Anything else only shows a blend of P3C, P3 (US), P3L, LG5C and LG5L cars.

Reactions: Lindenwood
The thing that I've learned is that, apart from at less than 20% SoC, the 5L always has less available power than the 3L. Both exhibit a rapid reduction of power below 20% SoC, which will significantly reduce the performance. The 5L is the least worst in this regard. I thought that the 5L might have more available power than the 3L at lower temperatures. This, I thought, would provide better performance without needing to actively warm the battery pack or in cooler climates (like the UK). The available power of the 5L is closest to the 3L when warm (30C) and worse when colder.

The performance of the M3P is entirely dependent on the available battery power. In this regard over 80% of the usual SoC range and temperature the 3L will provide better performance. I wouldn't categorise it as a good change. It is probably motivated by cost saving and/or holding the current price of the M3P, whilst the still meeting the published homogeneous performance stats, across a number of battery and motor sub-systems.

M3 LR P 2021
View attachment 812509

M3 LR
View attachment 812510
The pairing with the new more powerful motor should be looked into a bit more. Potentially more efficient or has a different power curve and therefore providing more power across the rpm range. Otherwise we would be seeing loss of performance which we are not. Looking at the battery in isolation is only one half of the story. Also the data so far has been the less powerful LR. How will it be configured in a P? If they had been holding backing using the 5L to keep using the 3L whilst the LR had the 5L they must have changed something to suddenly be able to use it in the P as well.

Last edited:
Maybe but not one M3P has come with the LG battery yet but it is expected the next round of vehicles arriving into Europe this month will do. I’m looking forward to some updated data from this specific vehicle.
So is this confirmed by Tesla or how do I need to see this? Since from what I see is that the Panasonic is better and has better performance.

So is this confirmed by Tesla or how do I need to see this? Since from what I see is that the Panasonic is better and has better performance.
What we see is data from an LR 5L battery. Tesla have added a more powerful motor with the Performance 5L config which can’t be used with the 3L config and have not changed the 0-60 time suggesting performance has not changed.

The pairing with the new more powerful motor should be looked into a bit more. Potentially more efficient or has a different power curve and therefore providing more power across the rpm range. Otherwise we would be seeing loss of performance which we are not. Looking at the battery in isolation is only one half of the story. Also the data so far has been the less powerful LR. How will it be configured in a P? If they had been holding backing using the 5L to keep using the 3L whilst the LR had the 5L they must have changed something to suddenly be able to use it in the P as well.
  • We know the new 3D6 rear motor since Q3/2021, when it was first installed in the MIC M3P 2021. I've also gathered my measured data and published performance specs of this motor here. In the Performance you will see that the motors will go to their absolute maximum technical limits, if the battery provides the power (M3P Bat Power Limit 430 kW / 1300'ish Amps)
  • We have data from the German Model Y Performance which has the same battery pack (5L), motors (3D3/3D6 and drive unit (CAT3). The numbers have been below the M3P 2019 - 2022 with Panasonic battery packs and also below the US Model Y Performance with Panasonic battery pack. It is only safe to say, that the Model 3 Performance with LG battery pack will perform as the German Model Y Performance in regards to its power vs speed curve.
  • The battery pack is always "held back" in a Long Range, since without boost it will never go above 970A, where the Performance is in the region of 1200-1300A. Acceleration boosted Long Range can also go above 1200A on short bursts.