Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2024 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked
Last year cars in early Dec or maybe even late Nov had 2023 VIN in the US. That's definitely not happening this year. Wonder what's going on.
tjey have over produced in the USA for the tax credit seekers and Tesla is banking on this alot of cars would be sold. They won’t release the updated models if the older model is in their inventory. It’s just common sense since Tesla does not go by model year like the ICE variants.

Picked

tjey have over produced in the USA for the tax credit seekers and Tesla is banking on this alot of cars would be sold. They won’t release the updated models if the older model is in their inventory. It’s just common sense since Tesla does not go by model year like the ICE variants.
I ordered last week and have a 2023 VIN, pickup tomorrow, located in USA and yes the tax credit was a factor in my timing.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
I can't say for other countries, but I'm fairly certain that in the U.S. car makers must have both NHTSA safety ratings and EPA fuel economy ratings before they can sell any vehicle. I can't find the sources for this at the moment; if I'm wrong, someone will correct me. This might be buried in the requirements for the Monroney sticker or within the fueleconomy.gov and nhtsa.gov websites if anyone wants to hunt it down.

Right now, the 2024 Tesla Model Y has the required NHTSA safety ratings. It does not have the EPA fuel economy ratings. In fact, Tesla does not have EPA fuel economy ratings for any 2024 models, whereas many other car makers already have theirs.

Keep an eye on these two ratings if you're really anxious to see how soon any "next year's" model will be available from any manufacturer in the U.S..

Incidentally, the IIHS safety ratings are also not yet available for the 2024 Tesla Model Y. But, I don't believe that is legally required for a car to be sold in the U.S..

I called twice once to a service center and one to corporate sales, took a while to get a human.

Corporate told me all Model Ys in inventory and on in transit are 2023 vins in the US. I was hoping for the ambient light maybe, but can't risk losing any of the tax incentive.

I called twice once to a service center and one to corporate sales, took a while to get a human.

Corporate told me all Model Ys in inventory and on in transit are 2023 vins in the US. I was hoping for the ambient light maybe, but can't risk losing any of the tax incentive.
Ambient light option is there in 2023 but not the light they show in the 2024 time ambient light for door and dash.

Not following. What is the difference between the two?
2024 has ventilated seats, video monitor for 2nd row, more aerodynamic front end. Thats all I can think of at the moment, they are still using 2170 batteries since they qualify for the federal rebate. If they switch to 4680 batteries then it would be reduced or no rebate at all. The current situation is if you need a car, get it now with the incentives. If can wait til 3rd quarter of 2024, then wait. Why risk federal rebate if you qualify why miss out. You will not get more range due to new battery (4680) Elon said himself less batteries for same range since the supercharger network is in place.

• Funny
Reactions: KJD