Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model3 just delivered Need Advise ASAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, my model 3 was delivered Thursday close to midnight. The delivery person said during the daylight he notice 3 scuffs and showed me pictures and said would be in the app(which I can't find in the app took my own pictures) I also noticed the wood strip on the dash has a crack in it. Then I lifted the trunk inside the trunk and it was full of water. Had about 6-8" of standing water that I have no clue where it came from . I've messaged my delivery manager but he is slow at responding. The autopilot has a hard time reconizing my hands are on the wheel so I constantly get the nag and sometimes despites me moving hands squeezing etc it will turn off and you can't reenable until next drive. Suggestions on what to do? Thursday is last day to return it .

The steering wheel detects torque and not squeeze. You need to rest a hand on one side and that gives enough weight to let the car know you are there. You are used to holding the top or the bottom of the wheel or just touching it lightly you will have to adjust your habit.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Also squeezing the wheel doesn't help. It's sensing torque (resistance to turning) not you actually "gripping" the wheel.

That said with the other issues I'd absolutely return it and get a better built one.

The Autopilot experience sounds normal. The wheel doesn't sense squeezing or holding, it only knows if you turn the wheel or resist the wheel turning.

These days, any of the steering wheel buttons reset the clock too, but I eventually got in the habit of putting a hand on the wheel about forty five degrees from the bottom and resting the weight of the arm on it. That's enough torque for my car to accept it, but not enough to make me worried where the car will dart to before I can react if the AP cuts out.

The water in the trunk, though, that's worrying. I don't think there's much in the way of electronics back there, but wet carpets and mold are a mess you shouldn't have to worry about on a new car.

I would take it back and ask for another one. Let them worry the one with problems.

Why? Because if you decide to keep the current one you might be setting yourself for weeks or months of frustration even if they fix it eventually. So, get another one now before your rejection period is gone aka while it's easy. It's probably something simple like a misinstalled trunk seal, but it shouldn't be your problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: duanra