Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model3 pvb laminated glass retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this report from the AAA about those vehicle escape tools that cut seat belts and smash the glass in case you drive your car off a bridge. I think the need for such a tool, at least in my case, is highly unlikely. However the interesting part of the report is the appendix where it lists all the cars where laminated glass has been used in the side and rear windows. Some date back to the 1980s!

http://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Research-Report-Vehicle-Escape-Tools.pdf

According to them, the Model S uses laminated glass in the rear window. I wouldn't mind eventually doing a laminated side glass retrofit in my Model 3.

1ED9D7B2-A476-468F-8010-AF81A7484B30.jpeg
Could you please show where these wires go, on both ends (plug and mirror), as it is not clear at all. Thanks in advance. :)
goes there

Any info on how we can order the glass?
+1

I’d like to know the answer to this. OP makes it sound easy, two wires into a connector and boom retrofit dimming mirrors. No mention of whether the car identifies them and controls them in the usual way etc.

Regards the laminated glass - you’d just order it from the SC in the usual way, and then fit it? Or pay Tesla to fit it. As I understand it the glass is the only thing changed between the two cars, according to the parts catalog, so should fit without issue.
tesla contols dimming via sunrise sunset time,regardless which model you have ,oem contols plug is there ,all you need is two wire and oem parts。

Last edited:
Thanks. I understand where the dimming connector is on the mirror glass, but I don’t know what type of connector goes into it on there (2pin? What make connector?)

Also where do the wires go into the blue connector?

Some more photos would be really helpful please.

Unfortunately, I feel like every time I post a comment (on certain forums) there's a better chance than not that some angry person will purposely distort the meaning and look at it in the worst light possible.

(not in this thread!, but in general..)
You must be a Forum.Tesla.com refugee like me. I got so tired of that crap that I left in August and never went back. This group is WAY better.

Reactions: comraddan
I guess it can help, but they are ultimately still frameless windows and there is a lot of adjustment available in them (inward and outward, as well as left, right, up and down). It is conceivable if they were poorly fitted from the factory then they could be just as ineffective at sound suppression as the OEM windows, or indeed worse.

When I had my door handle refitted by a mobile ranger he needed two attempts to get it to touch the seal properly around the leading edge of the glass. It is definitely one of those things that is within the scope of human error.

Reactions: KenC