Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moisture condensation in taillights, fog lights, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We noticed this after the rain last week that inside the driver side taillight cover, there was a lot of water on plastic cover (body part, not trunk). At the same time we started getting a message saying the blind-spot detection was limited for the same side. I made an appointment with the new Service Center in San Diego (Kearny Mesa, not the original one on Trade Pl which we liked). The service rep get back to us this morning claiming "We anticipate theses lights to get moisture in them as they are vented. The moisture should dissipate when the car/headlight is parked in the sun for several hours- So this may be normal – That light will have no impact on Blinds pot detection. " What?? Normal??!! We have two Tesla cars and never saw this, for that matter never saw this in any cars we have driven in past 30 years. I cancelled the appointment and will go back to the original service center

A few of us have had this issue and asked Tesla about it. The taillight is a double skinned construction so if some water does collect in the outer skin it can evaporate off. If the water is in the internal 'skin' then yes - they need to replace that. I believe many BMWs use the same double skinned construction.
Like you, I have not owned a car with kind of setup before.

A few of us have had this issue and asked Tesla about it. The taillight is a double skinned construction so if some water does collect in the outer skin it can evaporate off. If the water is in the internal 'skin' then yes - they need to replace that. I believe many BMWs use the same double skinned construction.
Like you, I have not owned a car with kind of setup before.
Thanks. That makes sense. Looks to me it is the internal skin. Here is the pic.
Taillight2.jpg

I saw a thread, some time ago, with the same issue you describe. I get light condensation after washing, don't notice anything after driving in the rain yet, it is troubling. Your issue seems worse than most pics I've seen.

Last edited:
Parked under the sun. Inside temp reached 90+ in last few days and the condensation did not go away. Why it didn't happen to the other taillight? Our Model S never had this. Someone mentioned BMW uses the same construction, well, we had a 535d for 4 years before switching to Model S and never saw this either.