Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moisture condensation in taillights, fog lights, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Respected members, this the first time I am posting here. I am the 2019 model 3 long-range RW owner. I own this vehicle almost a year now. I am going through nightmare dealing with tesla Calgary. I got so many cosmetic as well as condensation problems. Uneven Windshield crooked seal all around the door., Paint just name it. I believe, Tesla Calgary not capable to keep there stendared for overwhelmed issues and compl. Anyone else have sane experiences with Calgary Tesla. There not capable to do the warranty service in timely manner. As I understand from the post that maximum time tesla owners needed to at least twice for the same problem. They said as long as not safety issue they can take there time. I am very disappointed and frustrated over there service!?! Please, give me some advice.

Hello Respected members, this the first time I am posting here. I am the 2019 model 3 long-range RW owner. I own this vehicle almost a year now. I am going through nightmare dealing with tesla Calgary. I got so many cosmetic as well as condensation problems. Uneven Windshield crooked seal all around the door., Paint just name it. I believe, Tesla Calgary not capable to keep there stendared for overwhelmed issues and compl. Anyone else have sane experiences with Calgary Tesla. There not capable to do the warranty service in timely manner. As I understand from the post that maximum time tesla owners needed to at least twice for the same problem. They said as long as not safety issue they can take there time. I am very disappointed and frustrated over there service!?! Please, give me some advice.
Trust me, Calgary's SC is 10x better than Vancouver, you have it good believe it or not.

I guess you're working for them. Tesla is a very big company now. There not going to call bankruptcy. Actually there one of the bigest car company by far. There making big profit to sell there car and not able to service them in time. There selling more and more vehicles but not upgrading there service center. Do you think this is the right business practices? This not even good for the people who work for them in the service dipertment. There overwhelmed with work. People should know about this. I don't ask them any fever. Last one year of owning the tesla model 3 they keep fixing one out of atheist 10 more to go. I have another 3 year for my warranty. What do you think will happen afterwards?

I guess you're working for them. Tesla is a very big company now. There not going to call bankruptcy. Actually there one of the bigest car company by far. There making big profit to sell there car and not able to service them in time. There selling more and more vehicles but not upgrading there service center. Do you think this is the right business practices? This not even good for the people who work for them in the service dipertment. There overwhelmed with work. People should know about this. I don't ask them any fever. Last one year of owning the tesla model 3 they keep fixing one out of atheist 10 more to go. I have another 3 year for my warranty. What do you think will happen afterwards?

Hi,

I know you are new here (joined yesterday), but I would highly suggest some spacing in what you are typing as what you typed is hard to read. Also, I am not trying to be the grammar police at all, but "there" is not "they are". Pretty much every place in both posts you made where you put "there" you likely mean "they are".

That, and the lack of spacing, makes your posts hard to read. Again, I am not trying to lecture, because I fully realize that many people post here who do not have english as a primary language. I am just noting its hard to read, in its current form.

Uhhh, your guess couldn't be more incorrect. How would I live in Victoria, BC and work in Calgary, AB? That would be a massive commute of 2,000+ KM a day. Even commuting to Vancouver is a 2 hour ferry ride each way. This is one of the big downsides of being a Tesla owner on the island, you better hope mobile service can cover your problem. Of course I knew this would be a problem going in, and I accepted it. I was simply letting you know how much better the Calgary SC is, in my opinion. I asked Vancouver several times to sell me brake parts and they ignored me or refused. At least Calgary sold me the parts after a few months of back and forth.

As jjrandorin said, your message is quite hard to understand, but I get the gist is you are unhappy about the level of "service" you are receiving with Tesla. Not to be unhelpful, but you should have done some research before you bought the car, and if you had, you would have seen that since production ramped up with the 3/Y, the quality of service plummeted. I agree it has gotten really awful, but they are hitting PMF and some growing pains are to be expected. If you want great service, buy a Mercedes or BMW. You'll probably get a subpar car (unless you get an M or AMG), but the service will be great.

Yuppppp we have a winner... I’m just curious to why the side cameras get moisture in them as well. Possibly not fully sealed.
To be fair to TLLMRRJ, he probably diagnosed it first but this is the only video I've seen so far which explains the problem in detail and shows exactly how to solve it and people these days seem to need a video to understand anything!
The B-pillar misting is also quite a big problem in the UK, but having seen that service bulletin it seems the Gore vents weren't ever going to be the answer, so pre-heating the cabin and using hot air directed to that area inside would appear to be the only solution for now. Those b-pillar appliques aren't sealed anywhere near as well as a tail light.

The tail light moisture collection is demonstrated well in that video and I was able to correct it by sealing the top of the tail light with black vinyl wrap over the seals. It no longer gets moisture in the tail lights. The B Pillar is proving to be more difficult. Mine had the gore patch removed by Tesla and it still fogs up. The need a much better seal, maybe glass treated not to fog or a built in heating element. Do not think this is something we can fix ourself. It is a Tesla flaw.

I had a ranger over to look at condensation in my B pillar cameras (typically it has disappeared on the morning of his arrival) and he took one of them off to check for the Gore patch (wasn’t there). In the end we agreed he’d take another look if needed in spring.

The whole glass panel with the camera comes off by pulling on it, after you take off the plastic piece below it. On that basis I can imagine the seal could be a problem.

I wonder if it would be possible somehow to tap off power somewhere, even possibly to the camera itself, to provide for a “ring” heating element or something in that area?

I've had moisture in various headlight/tail light lenses on my Teslas, and I always just figured that the plastic wouldn't rust nor would the moisture affect the amount or direction of the beam. Therefore, I never give it a thought. And they work just fine that way. It seems silly to have to have the Tesla Rangers come out to replace a headlight just because there's a little condensation in it. Doesn't hurt a thing.
This isn’t true. I had significant condensation inside the headlight that froze. It was very unsafe driving to work in the dark. Terrible headlight performance.

Attached are two photos I sent the service center of unfrozen condensation. To say that a solid sheet of water droplets doesn’t hurt the headlights performance makes no sense.

4F37B1EA-355E-41F1-B1D7-6ABE20E46727.png

E1A2F50A-67D9-4BDD-A73A-58712D861878.png

If we are honest, comparing the teslas to other new cars, the QC is pretty bad. I don’t get the die hard apologists. The cars are what they are…cheap materials surrounding the best motors, batteries and software currently on the market at the price point.

I’m a car guy. I own 8 vehicles. They closest comparison for year manufactured and dollar amount spent would be my wife’s 2021 Venza limited. It’s superior in every way with one exception…fun factor for a commuter. My dual motor Model 3 the most fun reasonably priced commuter I’ve owned, but the fit and finish is among the worst.

I still like driving it though and charging for free at work is a good bonus.