Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moisture condensation in taillights, fog lights, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, had the same problem with condensation in my fogs after driving 168 miles in the rai. Tesla says it's normal and when I pushed them about possible corrosion, they wrote me this text. Does this seem like plausible explanation to you guys?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190722-220817_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20190722-220817_Messages.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 247
I’ve owned a number of cars and I’ve never seen that in any car that wasn’t a $2K junk box from over 10 years ago.

I don’t care what their excuse is but headlights with water condensation in it means a poor design. Show me another brand new car with this sort of problem happening so frequently, let alone an expensive luxury car.

Think he means fixed at the same time as the paint repairs.

Interestingly I now have my very own ‘fog light’ - was like it at yesterday’s delivery - have dried it by warming it with a heat gun but it has returned a few hours later :) The other side is not affected, so I guess some of these lights units aren’t sufficiently sealed. Will take it up with service next month after the ‘Q3 push’ is over.

-Alex

Attachments

• 46C2DEB8-9F06-42AC-90B2-D131DA1684EC.jpeg
    46C2DEB8-9F06-42AC-90B2-D131DA1684EC.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 155
Has anyone else experienced condensation on the inside of heir third brake light? The temperature has dropped into the 40s here over the past week or so and I just noticed this tonight. It is definitely on the inside. Is there a way to fix this? Any thoughts? (sorry for the reflection)

IMG_0249.jpg
IMG_0250.jpg

What is it with Tesla and moisture issues in their tail lights, headlights and now third brake light? I've never experienced this with any other vehicle except my Tesla. Luckily I've not had this happen with my third brake light yet. And even though it's not sealed, after the moisture evaporates it will leave marks on the glass. Then the only way to get into that area to clean it, is by removing the entire rear glass. You'd think Tesla would have made it a bit easier to access that area.

What is it with Tesla and moisture issues in their tail lights, headlights and now third brake light? I've never experienced this with any other vehicle except my Tesla. Luckily I've not had this happen with my third brake light yet. And even though it's not sealed, after the moisture evaporates it will leave marks on the glass. Then the only way to get into that area to clean it, is by removing the entire rear glass. You'd think Tesla would have made it a bit easier to access that area.

You can actually clean it out to some degree. Using a plastic pry tool and a thin cloth wrapped around it, you can slide it into that area from the back seat. My tint place had to to get some streaks out from the tint liquid they use. That’s how they did it.