Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moisture/water in my trunk bottom (or whatever it's called)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you know that cavity hidden under the removable board in the model 3? Well it's got moisture/water under the carpet. I assume this has something to do with the same kind of physics that causes rain to fall, but whatever the cause, has anyone encountered this, and what did you do about it?

So you know that cavity hidden under the removable board in the model 3? Well it's got moisture/water under the carpet. I assume this has something to do with the same kind of physics that causes rain to fall, but whatever the cause, has anyone encountered this, and what did you do about it?
try to find the "drain" and make sure it is cleared
All trunks have drains - next time at Service Center ask them to double check - sometimes a "tube" that "sucks" any water out of the trunk.

warning: just generic info from 40- year car owner - look for specifics from actual Model 3 owners

IF you talk with Tesla Service, let us know what if any insights they pass along.

Mine carpet in the well was damp when I picked it up. I put a fan in and dried it out.

Have not debugged yet.

I did put in a trunk mat... figure will see water on that if it’s coming from the top.

It’s on my due bill list, but I want to spend some time debugging first.

I recall a video that shows how the bottom of the rear glass doesn’t reroute heavy water too well, so it can flow right over the middle of the glass lip and into the trunk. When we took delivery, the car next to me got rejected as it had water/dirt in the trunk.

• Disagree
Reactions: untilcomplete
Make sure the trunk latches when you close it, especially when the car is brand new and the seals haven't broken in yet. Otherwise, I suspect water can seep in.
I think this is what happened (probably at the factory/service center). I have the trunk liner and even under heavy rain,only had a few drops on the trunk liner. Nothing like the videos others have been posting.

After a drive through torrential rainfall in the smokey mountains, my sub trunk has maintained moisture for the last 3 days. Initial thought was rain coming in from the top. but after trying to soak with a towel with no success, I got down and checked the plastic liner under the car to hear water has collected and is not draining. I have yet to find a drain plug and will do further research. Hopefully just a backed up drain plug. Regardless, I have scheduled a service call for final remedy. Will update my post when resolved.