Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mom likes it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I took my 86 year old mother for a drive along scenic Grizzly Blvd in Oakland, CA in my new Model 3 Performance. I didn't go crazy but a few spurts of speed here and there in the straightaways and she giggled like a little girl. She never stopped talking about how her bum was nice and warm with these seats that "heat up". (This from a woman who grew up in poor rural Ireland and the highlight of the year was getting an orange for Christmas). It was a real treat to see her enjoy herself like this. No idea how long Mom will be around but this is a memory I'll cherish forever. Go have your own Tesla Moment asap.

Great story!

Next time she rides with you, call up the fireplace with the burning logs. She'll love the heat coming from the fireplace and again from those seats that "heat up."

I'm taking my 4 year old grandson in my new Model 3 later this week in "Grandpa's Spaceship Car." We'll do the whole 10-second launch countdown and all! Yes, we're all making these precious Tesla Moments! Cherish them!

That's really sweet! I wish I could do that! When I was a kid our friend had a Cadillac with huge cone-like red tail lights. He told us they were "rockets" and today we might get a chance to "launch" them. He pointed to the cigarette lighter button and said "If I push that...." and made a face like "whoa" .... Of course we screamed for him to do it. He always had an excuse as to why he couldn't (I forgot to load them this morning, there's a policeman nearby etc.... Sure miss you Ed. You were such a fun guy. RIP.

Lovely story. My tale of getting my Model 3 Performance is the sort-of opposite. My mother died last year and I bought the car a few weeks after to take my mind off things, as... petty as it sounds. That wasn’t the only reason, but it helped distract me.

Ever since I got the car I kept/keep thinking about how much my mum would have loved it.

Sorry for being a downer.

Lovely story. My tale of getting my Model 3 Performance is the sort-of opposite. My mother died last year and I bought the car a few weeks after to take my mind off things, as... petty as it sounds. That wasn’t the only reason, but it helped distract me.

Ever since I got the car I kept/keep thinking about how much my mum would have loved it.

Don't beat yourself up over that. My Dad passed just before Thanksgiving. He was 95 and a total car addict. I got it from him. We found on his iPad the start of an email to Tesla Motors. I think he was trying to find the website, as he was fascinated by the car, as he knew I was. I ordered mine the day after Thanksgiving. I named it after his old Navy call-sign (we were both Naval Aviators), "Bashful Bill".

You are not the only one.

My mother passed less than a month ago. I have a 2020 LR AWD to be picked up today. Grief shopping is real and it has kept me distracted.

Donkey.

When my dad’s mom passed away many years ago she left my brother and I a small amount of cash each. I wanted to use it to do something special that I would always remember her by as making it possible. I took scuba lessons and still remember her for opening that experience up to me. BTW It was going to be scuba or sky-diving classes. Think my parents were happier with my decision. ;) I think it’s nice to remember those important to us at special times in our lives.

My dad worked decades at a GM plant. He loved to work on his car (helped hand him tools sometimes as a kid) and I think he would have loved to ride/drive my car and tour the Fremont plant with us. He passed away a few years ago now on 9/23. My Model 3 was delivered on 9/23. Remember going to pick up my car and thinking of that and of him. Decided it was a good thing and he was there in spirit when I picked it up. He would have loved the electric motor in it. He was an electrician for a number of years before becoming a machinist and tool and die guy.

@upkerry14 loved reading how your mom reacted to the ride. A memory I am sure you both will recall with smiles down the road. Hopefully when life goes back to some normal the two of you can do a few road trips. Your post gave me a morning smile :).

Last edited:
Reactions: jpfive
Nice! That's a great road, great for cycling too. I know my 91yr old mom would freak out if I took her on a windy road like that. She still loves riding in the Tesla, and seeing the car pull up with SmartSummon when I push her wheelchair to the curb at hospital appts, etc.