Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mood of an Unstoppable Transformation - CSM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the goal of "accelerating sustainable transport", are we (Tesla included) winning? I think we are.

This article from the Christian Science Monitor I think is one of the better yet that sums up the very recent announcements by GM, Ford, MB, BMW, VW Group, and other majors to "electrify" or make lots of different all-electric models:

Quicker than expected, auto industry revs up for an electric-car future

My favorite quotes:
"the global auto industry is being pushed toward a vision of rapid and radical change."
"formulating a timetable to stop production and sales of traditional energy vehicles"
"personalized transit is on track to be massively reshaped"
"the mood of an unstoppable transformation is building among corporations"

It sure sounds to me like acceleration is finally happening. It's like the incumbents have, for the first time, reached consensus that the next era of the industry will use electrical power to move cars. They've finally acknowledged that is simply a given.

It's like we're entering the final stage of Ghandi's famous quote.

I know Tesla is accelerating because they are doing not talking. The others I don't know, yet. Certainly awareness is growing and as all things Elon continue to push the boundaries, that awareness will continue to grow. When I see an actual line up of BEVs (like real ones that I'd want to buy and drive, ones without gas/diesel range extenders) and the discontinuation of fossil fuel line ups is the day I'll know we're good to go.

If nothing else, these are exciting times.

Reactions: dauger and EinSV
I just rewatched Tony Seba's presentation from 2016. Every bit as inspiring as when I watched it for the first time (back then). More importantly, the predictions on EV (battery technology, range, price) still seem to be spot on.

What I love about Seba's presentation is that these transitions to more sustainable energy and transportation will not happen from some expectation that people will sacrifice today's comforts for the benefit of future generations, but instead from a purely short term economic/business motive to become cost competitive in that present. What is obvious is the supply chain for future demand in BEV's is moving way too slow. When cost parity between ICE and BEVs is reached (not including ownership costs) in around 2025 or earlier the overwhelming demand verses supply gap because of battery shortages will be staggering. Then add to that fire the possibility that Seba is right about car sharing becoming the norm and only electric power trains being able to handle the wear and tear the increased mileage this model of transportation service creates and WOW; we are headed for a rocky transition where only Tesla is even close to moving quickly enough.

Reactions: arcus