TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Moonroof option?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by MiamiNole, Jul 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MiamiNole

MiamiNole Member

I have not seen any talk whatsoever about a moonroof as an option, and not much talk/complaining about the lack of a moonroof. Anybody know what the deal is? Wasn't a moonroof confirmed as an option for the Model 3 during the first reveal (metal roof, glass roof, glass moonroof)? Did something change or will moonroof be an option at a later point? I live in Florida, so having a moonroof is kind of a big deal for me.

2. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

That's the "glass roof" that's part of the Premium Package. The rear glass roof is standard on all Model 3.

• Disagree x 1
  3. Tiger

Tiger Member

I'm so dissapointed ...

• Like x 1
  4. robt_sf

robt_sf Member

Moving from a convertible to the 3. The glass roof is stunning, but if there is no moon roof I'm cancelling.

• Funny x 3
  5. montreid

montreid Member

So standard....glass roof. ?tinted or not

Premium ...sliding tinted roof.

I couldn't tell during the reveal if there were any no premium cars there or bse wheels either

6. Runt8

Runt8 Member

The glass roof does not open. Tesla calls the one that opens a panoramic roof. If I remember correctly it's been confirmed in the past, but no recent news about.

• Helpful x 1
  7. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

One of the Tesla engineers driving a Model 3 at the March 2016 event said that there would be a sunroof option.

Roof option video

But the lack of any mention of a sunroof option by Tesla in the press kit stuff has me very worried that they ditched it for one reason or another. That was one option I REALLY wanted.

Anti-selling? Or maybe structural/engineering/safety reason?

8. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

This is probably getting out way ahead of myself, but I wonder if an aftermarket moonroof could be installed on the metal roof?

9. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

You know, at one point Elon stated that not every option for the 3 was going to be released in the early cars to simplify production. I suspect sunroof and other interior colors might fall in that bucket.

• Like x 2
  10. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

I'm sure it will eventually become a factory option. I figured at the start they would just either do a full metal roof or a full glass one. I guess they still are doing that is only the premium package ones are being made first.

• Like x 1
  11. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

If I had to place a guess, I think the pano roof will be an option in about a year.

12. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

What is the difference between the all glass roof we have seen in the reaveal vs a "moon roof"

Isnt that the same thing?????

Now a "sun roof" typically is a operable roof and i never heard of that being an option.

• Like x 1
  13. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

I believe the OPs definition of a moon roof is one that opens. This would be like the panoramic roof on the S. This most likely will be an option down the road, unless they have decided not to along the way.

14. Runt8

Runt8 Member

#14 Runt8, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    I've always seen these definitions:
    Sun roof - metal roof that opens.
    Moon roof - Glass roof that opens (generally with a cover inside the car).

Tesla seems to use the term "panoramic roof" as a glass roof that opens, while "glass roof" does not. I've never seen a Tesla roof with an inside cover.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1