Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moonroof option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not seen any talk whatsoever about a moonroof as an option, and not much talk/complaining about the lack of a moonroof. Anybody know what the deal is? Wasn't a moonroof confirmed as an option for the Model 3 during the first reveal (metal roof, glass roof, glass moonroof)? Did something change or will moonroof be an option at a later point? I live in Florida, so having a moonroof is kind of a big deal for me.

One of the Tesla engineers driving a Model 3 at the March 2016 event said that there would be a sunroof option.

Roof option video

But the lack of any mention of a sunroof option by Tesla in the press kit stuff has me very worried that they ditched it for one reason or another. That was one option I REALLY wanted.

Anti-selling? Or maybe structural/engineering/safety reason?

This is probably getting out way ahead of myself, but I wonder if an aftermarket moonroof could be installed on the metal roof?

I'm sure it will eventually become a factory option. I figured at the start they would just either do a full metal roof or a full glass one. I guess they still are doing that is only the premium package ones are being made first.

Reactions: Canuck
What is the difference between the all glass roof we have seen in the reaveal vs a "moon roof"

Isnt that the same thing?????

Now a "sun roof" typically is a operable roof and i never heard of that being an option.
I believe the OPs definition of a moon roof is one that opens. This would be like the panoramic roof on the S. This most likely will be an option down the road, unless they have decided not to along the way.

What is the difference between the all glass roof we have seen in the reaveal vs a "moon roof"

Isnt that the same thing?????

Now a "sun roof" typically is a operable roof and i never heard of that being an option.

I believe the OPs definition of a moon roof is one that opens. This would be like the panoramic roof on the S. This most likely will be an option down the road, unless they have decided not to along the way.
I've always seen these definitions:
Sun roof - metal roof that opens.
Moon roof - Glass roof that opens (generally with a cover inside the car).

Tesla seems to use the term "panoramic roof" as a glass roof that opens, while "glass roof" does not. I've never seen a Tesla roof with an inside cover.

Last edited: