Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moose detection confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A substantially big moose was walking across the road yesterday. I started slowing down from 80 kph (70mph). 15 meters (50 ft) from the moose my M3 thought that I am not doing enough and we all are going to die and put heavy pressure on the brakes with alert sound. Nobody was behind me, so no harm done. Nice to know that AI is alert and ready to act. I have had one similar incident with a small human being trying to kill himself running erratically on the sidewalk.

Attachments

• moose.png
    moose.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 181
Mine does the same thing with cars, to the point that I've learned to turn off AP quickly if I see someone in an opposite turn lane with their signal on. Whenever they turn across my lane of travel, my Model 3 freaks and slams on the brakes even if the car is 150 feet away and has plenty of space to make the turn. I understand why it does it: it won't assume the vehicle will keep turning and there's an off chance it could slam on brakes mid turn in my lane. But I do think it needs a little "adjusting".

Mike

Reactions: Carolina Karl
Mine does the same thing with cars, to the point that I've learned to turn off AP quickly if I see someone in an opposite turn lane with their signal on. Whenever they turn across my lane of travel, my Model 3 freaks and slams on the brakes even if the car is 150 feet away and has plenty of space to make the turn. I understand why it does it: it won't assume the vehicle will keep turning and there's an off chance it could slam on brakes mid turn in my lane. But I do think it needs a little "adjusting".

Mike
Have you tried just applying a little throttle to counter the car's braking? Wouldn't that override the braking while still maintaining your lane?

Have you tried just applying a little throttle to counter the car's braking? Wouldn't that override the braking while still maintaining your lane?

Yes. I've done that while it is braking in one of those situations but I had to press the throttle almost to the floor to completely counter the braking. You really have to show it you are "serious" before it'll override it.

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: KenC