Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More than one additional user/driver can now be added via the website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

arnolddeleon

Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2012
SF Bay Area
Referral Code
I don't know when Tesla updated it but you can now easily add additional drivers to car via the website.

Go to "Tesla Account", click "Manage" for the car you want add/remove drivers to and then you should see "Car Access" section. When you click you will get to a page like the attached image.

At first you had to contact support to do it. Then they made it easier to add just one user. Now you can easily add a third (haven't tried it beyond three).

This potentially makes it easier to loan out a car.

I also recommend that every regular driver has their own key card and keep a spare one at home. They're inexpensive. If you have more more than one 3 or Y you can use the same cards.

Caveats:
  • All users can see where the car is
  • The additional users cannot schedule service or roadside assistance (I think they should change latter)
  • The additional user *cannot* add their phone as key without access to key card.
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 11.08.58 AM.jpg

Last edited:
So, if I understand this correctly, I can now have my wife create how own Tesla account and sign into her app on her phone via that login, right? No more having to sign in using my account on both of our phones? I see that I can take it one step further and manage which of us can access which car but I'm not as concerned about that right now. Maybe if I ever wanted to loan one out or something.

So what does this do? I've added my wife but see no other change. Does she have to create a Tesla account? Download the app?

Yes, if the email is not associated with a Tesla account she will need to add one. Then once she has the app she can login. She can use the app to do a remote start (under controls) if her phone as not been added as a "phone key" yet.

So, if I understand this correctly, I can now have my wife create how own Tesla account and sign into her app on her phone via that login, right? No more having to sign in using my account on both of our phones? I see that I can take it one step further and manage which of us can access which car but I'm not as concerned about that right now. Maybe if I ever wanted to loan one out or something.

Correct. I'm not a fan of shared passwords and this makes is one fewer place where you need to.

We have a 3 and Y and my account is "owner" in both cases. We both have access to both cars. You select with car is active in your app so no need to limit that unnecessarily.

Yesterday I used this to grant a friend access to our Y to try it out.

Can confirm; created a new Tesla account for my wife. I then logged into my Tesla account and added her (first name, last name & email) to all three of our Model S cars as a user. I then had her log out of her app on her phone (was previously logged in via my Tesla account credentials) and then back in via her new Tesla account credentials. All three cars with all of the same features and options now exist. In my account it shows her as someone I've given access to. Works exactly as described and a much welcomed update to something fairly simple but important from Tesla.

Hopefully next they can add more granular permissions in a limited sharing mode.

For example, allow somebody to unlock the doors but not drive the car. Or allow someone to drive the car but not have access to the car's position 24/7.

Reactions: MrBadger
Hopefully next they can add more granular permissions in a limited sharing mode.

For example, allow somebody to unlock the doors but not drive the car. Or allow someone to drive the car but not have access to the car's position 24/7.
Yes, this is what I’m looking for. Have someone have access to the car w/o all the location info that comes with it.

if someone just has an additional key card, I think they can see everything once in, yes?

You've actually been able to do that for more than a year via the Secondary Contact fields. We used that option when selling cars as it would allow the buyer to immediately have access to the car but not to the Tesla account.

It looks like the recent changes removed the Secondary Contact fields and added the Car Access section which allows you to now add up to 5 additional drivers. There was a problem in the past where the Secondary Contact temporarily had access to the Upgrades section in the app. We reported this as a bug and Tesla eventually locked it down so that the Secondary Contact (now Car Access) users can't purchase Upgrades.

Last edited:
Can confirm; created a new Tesla account for my wife. I then logged into my Tesla account and added her (first name, last name & email) to all three of our Model S cars as a user. I then had her log out of her app on her phone (was previously logged in via my Tesla account credentials) and then back in via her new Tesla account credentials. All three cars with all of the same features and options now exist. In my account it shows her as someone I've given access to. Works exactly as described and a much welcomed update to something fairly simple but important from Tesla.

One big problem I see with this setup (wife with separate login, which mine has already) is that they can not request roadside assistance. Thats a huge big miss in my book.

At least, roadside assistance doesnt show up in the app for them. Take a look and see if it does for you, if you have it setup that way. I went back to sharing my password in my wifes app because the few times she took my car, I would want her to be able to request roadside assistance through the app.

Being on my 4th (yes 4th) 20 inch rim that I have had to replace since I have had the car (dec 18), I have had to use roadside assistance 3 times already for flat tires. Twice hitting potholes, and the third time a huge bolt (in my new referral rim no less).

At least, roadside assistance doesnt show up in the app for them. Take a look and see if it does for you, if you have it setup that way. I went back to sharing my password in my wifes app because the few times she took my car, I would want her to be able to request roadside assistance through the app.

Being on my 4th (yes 4th) 20 inch rim that I have had to replace since I have had the car (dec 18), I have had to use roadside assistance 3 times already for flat tires. Twice hitting potholes, and the third time a huge bolt (in my new referral rim no less).
You're right. Tesla needs to address this. As of right now though, my wife's app does not show the "roadside" option at the bottom. This means that, in the case of an emergency, my wife will have to call the 800 # or get me involved to use my app to call for roadside assistance. This is a step that shouldn't be required and Tesla needs to add this sooner than later.

Reactions: jjrandorin