Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most efficient tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a lot of dimensions. Some a little strange (not wide but large diameter).

The ePrimacy is not a sports tyre. It often comes in the middle of the tested tires.
But the rolling resistance is very low.

In EU we have an classification of energy, where eprimacy was the first A tyre.
“A” means that the rolling resistance can be at max 6.5 kg/ton.

The tests show that ePrimacy hit around 5.6-5.8 kg/ton.
A regular “C” tyre is ~ 8.5-9 or so.

This means, for a two ton car, that the difference between C and A in rolling resistance is ~ 3kg x 2 ton x 9.81 = 59N less with the ePrimacy.
For driving 1km thats 59 x 1000 = 59.000Nm (ws), so 59000/3600 = 16.4 Wh/km.
16.4 Wh/km = 26.4 Wh/mi.

This is not far from 10% for the most people.
Hankook iON EVO AS tires I believe hit low 5s in rolling resistance. Pretty spectacular for their price.

Reactions: DrChaos
We have a lot of dimensions. Some a little strange (not wide but large diameter).

The ePrimacy is not a sports tyre. It often comes in the middle of the tested tires.
But the rolling resistance is very low.

Yes it looks excellent and achives its goals.

I wish USA had objective required tire ratings like EU, particularly for numerical rolling resistance (the number is more informative than 5 letters).

6.21 kg/ton according to themself after a test:

Link

There’s another tyre that has low rolling resistance according to at least one test
Falken e.ziex, it did even beat e-Primacy slightly.

The link is about the summer version. I haven't seen quantitative results on the North American all-season version, which is no doubt tuned more to efficiency and less to performance.

The link is about the summer version. I haven't seen quantitative results on the North American all-season version, which is no doubt tuned more to efficiency and less to performance.
I would guess a winter version would have a higher rolling resistance.

In generellt it is shallow thread in the A tyres. I saw test where they tested regular tires with reduced thread depth, and they came much closer to the A tires just from that.

Hard rubber also reduces the rolling resistane and winter tyres in general have soft rubber to get the wibter grip.

6.21 kg/ton according to themself after a test:

Link

There’s another tyre that has low rolling resistance according to at least one test
Falken e.ziex, it did even beat e-Primacy slightly.
That’s for Europe. I don’t think the “AS” version exists over there or at least it didn’t when they wrote that. I believe that is the spec for the summer version which is great but the AS version we get in the states is supposed to be even more efficient.

Reactions: AAKEE
I would guess a winter version would have a higher rolling resistance.
Yes, but USA all-season aren't really winter tires as you would know them.

They're harder than USA-summer tires (which are soft for performance at higher temperatures) to last longer, but have more grooves and sipes for slight winter grip. I believe they use more synthetic compounds for efficiency and cold weather performance vs natural rubber for grip.

Looks like low rolling resistance needs high silica.

And yes many Americans drive on substandard all-seasons when they should be driving winters.

But there are many populated areas (like almost all of California where people like me live) which have little to no need for winter tires. In fact I could easily (and might prefer) to drive a EU summer-but-touring-tire but this is an unavailable unicorn, even though Southern California has more people than Sweden + Norway + Finland. :)

Hard rubber also reduces the rolling resistane and winter tyres in general have soft rubber to get the wibter grip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jejunjm and AAKEE
All season winter tires gives me shivers ;)

They're harder than USA-summer tires (which are soft for performance at higher temperatures) to last longer, but have more grooves and sipes for slight winter grip.
This is winter grip for me:

Winter wheels here are softer than summer tyres to be able to grip in cold.
IMG_8186.jpeg

And yes many Americans drive on substandard all-seasons when they should be driving winters.
Yes, I se most parts of the world do not have the same need as we.
We did get ~ 20-30cm snow the last week, and it is snowing right now. Plan is, to get ~ 5cm powder this night and do a eastwr drive with my snowmobiles tomorrow :)
But there are many populated areas (like almost all of California where people like me live) which have little to no need for winter tires. In fact I could easily (and might prefer) to drive a EU summer-but-touring-tire but this is an unavailable unicorn, even though Southern California has more people than Sweden + Norway + Finland. :)

For me, all season tires feels very wrong.
I know Volvo ships some EV’s with these, (made for our climate). Still not a good idea, they will be second best all year.

For California, it even feels worse. You guys have summer most of the year ( Would be nice to have that. -40C/F is rather cold :rolleyes:.

Reactions: BigNick

They're harder than USA-summer tires (which are soft for performance at higher temperatures) to last longer, but have more grooves and sipes for slight winter grip. I believe they use more synthetic compounds for efficiency and cold weather performance vs natural rubber for grip.

We officially got 0.0 inches of snow in Raleigh NC this year. However, we get down into the 20s during January and February so summer tires aren’t the best choice year round.

The Hankook iON EVO AS tires are pretty much perfect for our climate. I can drag race with them on the weekends and get ridiculously good efficiency for my commute pretty much year round.

Reactions: AAKEE