Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most efficient tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need new tires. Is the Primacy MXM4 still the most efficient all season tire? The two most important criteria for me are efficiency and noise? Also are all the Primacy's the same or do I have to ask for a Tesla spec to get the foam liner?

No not all Primacy's are the same. I don't know if the foam liner is on non-Tesla versions but tire manufacturers often make specialized versions for manufacturers, like the Tesla T1 spec.

Until recently, the MXM4 was the most efficient Tesla 3 tire. It's now possible that the Pirelli Elect EV specific tire and the Hankook iON EV specific tire might be as efficient, and with better handling or road feel, Tesla drivers seem to really like them. (Goodyear ElectricDrive doesn't have as good reviews). I have been looking for a head to head test but there hasn't been one yet. When I need to replace my tires, I will likely buy either of those, unless there is a Michelin EV Sport tire available in the Tesla 3 18" size by then.

One thing that's definitely true is that they have a thicker tread, 10/32" vs 8/32" on the factory MXM4 tire. The factory MXM has a lower tread to improve efficiency ratings, at the cost of longevity of course.

If the newer tires get the same rolling resistance as the MXM4, with a higher tread when new, that's a technological improvement.

No not all Primacy's are the same. I don't know if the foam liner is on non-Tesla versions but tire manufacturers often make specialized versions for manufacturers, like the Tesla T1 spec.

Until recently, the MXM4 was the most efficient Tesla 3 tire. It's now possible that the Pirelli Elect EV specific tire and the Hankook iON EV specific tire might be as efficient, and with better handling or road feel, Tesla drivers seem to really like them. (Goodyear ElectricDrive doesn't have as good reviews). I have been looking for a head to head test but there hasn't been one yet. When I need to replace my tires, I will likely buy either of those, unless there is a Michelin EV Sport tire available in the Tesla 3 18" size by then.

One thing that's definitely true is that they have a thicker tread, 10/32" vs 8/32" on the factory MXM4 tire. The factory MXM has a lower tread to improve efficiency ratings, at the cost of longevity of course.

If the newer tires get the same rolling resistance as the MXM4, with a higher tread when new, that's a technological improvement.
I haven't been able to find any data on the efficiency of the P Zero All Season vs the Michelin

Although the majority of users here seems to agree that anything that is not a premium brand tire can't be any good I can recommend the Landsail LS588. It has a very low rolling resistance. Handling on streets is flawless dry and wet, no idea how it would perform on a track. I can't say how it is on ice and snow either since it's a summer tire and I would never use a summer tire in the winter, at least not where I live.
Feel free to go ahead and tell me how I'm endangering everyone around me but since @bjrosen is asking for a highly efficient tire I thought I'd just throw it out there.

Although the majority of users here seems to agree that anything that is not a premium brand tire can't be any good I can recommend the Landsail LS588. It has a very low rolling resistance. Handling on streets is flawless dry and wet, no idea how it would perform on a track. I can't say how it is on ice and snow either since it's a summer tire and I would never use a summer tire in the winter, at least not where I live.
Feel free to go ahead and tell me how I'm endangering everyone around me but since @bjrosen is asking for a highly efficient tire I thought I'd just throw it out there.

Seem like a cheap and low rolling resistance tire that's terrible for grip and hydroplaning. IMO a $40-70k car owner shouldn't hesitate spending $300-500 per 30,000 miles for safer tires. But that's just me. Do as you wish.

Reactions: Gasaraki and Nessal
Need new tires. Is the Primacy MXM4 still the most efficient all season tire? The two most important criteria for me are efficiency and noise? Also are all the Primacy's the same or do I have to ask for a Tesla spec to get the foam liner?
There have been no public test results of efficiency comparing the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 and Hankook Kinergy GT with other tires like the Pirelli PZero ELECT and Hankook iON.

Both the Michelin Primacy MXM4 and Hankook Kinergy GT come in more than one version in the size 235/45/18, one version of each of which is the Tesla version. Some of the other versions appear to be OEM tires for different cars.

Reactions: XPsionic

Seem like a cheap and low rolling resistance tire that's terrible for grip and hydroplaning. IMO a $40-70k car owner shouldn't hesitate spending $300-500 per 30,000 miles for safer tires. But that's just me. Do as you wish.
More like $1,280 installed for the Hankook Ion EVO AS at Discount Tire for my SR+ with 19” wheels. Or $1,450 installed for the O.E. Continental ProContacts.

I don’t think I’ve ever paid more than $130 per tire in my 27 years of driving. I guess there’s a first for everything 🤪

More like $1,280 installed for the Hankook Ion EVO AS at Discount Tire for my SR+ with 19” wheels. Or $1,450 installed for the O.E. Continental ProContacts.

I don’t think I’ve ever paid more than $130 per tire in my 27 years of driving. I guess there’s a first for everything 🤪
I meant $300-500 more per set of tires vs buying the cheapest crap. The difference is well worth it in case of emergencies, especially during bad weather.

BLUF: What is the best wet weather EV tire?

I thought I had more time until I needed new tires. But yesterday in the rain and this morning, I had 3 slides that I felt I shouldn't have had.

Maybe I need to factor in the heavy weight of the M3, but for 2 of the slides I had the wife/kid with me. I was not trying to be silly.

My tires are original MXM4s with 18500 miles (made in 2019). The inner shoulders are getting worn, overall it was 5/10ths but I need to check again. I bought the car with 11600 miles and did an alignment probably 3000 miles ago.

Goodyear Electricdrive vs Hankook Ion?

Sailun might be the dark horse...

BLUF: What is the best wet weather EV tire?

I thought I had more time until I needed new tires. But yesterday in the rain and this morning, I had 3 slides that I felt I shouldn't have had.

Maybe I need to factor in the heavy weight of the M3, but for 2 of the slides I had the wife/kid with me. I was not trying to be silly.

My tires are original MXM4s with 18500 miles (made in 2019). The inner shoulders are getting worn, overall it was 5/10ths but I need to check again. I bought the car with 11600 miles and did an alignment probably 3000 miles ago.

Goodyear Electricdrive vs Hankook Ion?

Sailun might be the dark horse...
The Hankook iON, at least the summer S version you can get in Europe, passed with an outstanding A/A/A rating in the European tests, which are rolling resistance, wet braking, and noise. It's very hard to do well at all of them simultaneously.

I would not get the Sailun. It's a Chinese brand, and I think made in Cambodia. Usually there is a significant engineering tension between high efficiency and wet braking performance. The Sailun ERange is highly optimized for range, and Sailun not being a known technical leader, probably hasn't found the best ability to get around usual trade-offs.

...there is a significant engineering tension between...

Thank you Doctor. I like the above statement, a very elegant way of saying a compromise/trade-off. I'm going to steal it!

As a side track, I wonder about the performance on an F1 full wet tire with a hard compound vice a soft compound. How much lap time comes from the design vice the compound?

In my mind, an EV tire with a rain focus that has marginally worse rolling resistance than the MXM4 would be nice. Everyone seems to focus on dry braking but you nominally have better visibility when it's not raining, and more performance potential to work with.

I can get a discount on the Goodyears but will hold out for more data.

Reactions: XPsionic
Thank you Doctor. I like the above statement, a very elegant way of saying a compromise/trade-off. I'm going to steal it!

As a side track, I wonder about the performance on an F1 full wet tire with a hard compound vice a soft compound. How much lap time comes from the design vice the compound?

In my mind, an EV tire with a rain focus that has marginally worse rolling resistance than the MXM4 would be nice. Everyone seems to focus on dry braking but you nominally have better visibility when it's not raining, and more performance potential to work with.

I'm looking at the www.disccounttire.com website. For wet braking on MXM4 it says 148 ft new, 184 feet worn. Dry braking 128 ft. UTQG Traction A

Pilot Sport AS4 (not an EV tire, but very popular) wet: 130ft new, 148 ft worn. Dry braking 113. That's a performance tire (still all season), so its better. UTQG Traction AA.

Pirelli PZero Elect: wet: 149ft new 192 ft worn (Even worse than MXM4). Dry braking 126 ft. UTQG Traction AA.

Michelin Cross Climate 2: specs not listed.

Good Year Assurance Maxlife (a lifetime optimized tire): New 158ft wet, 194ft worn. dry: 129 ft. So even worse than MXM4. That's what you get for a long life tire.

Michelin Defender (another life and efficiency tire): New 156ft wet, 201 ft worn. Dry 129 ft. UTQG B.

Hankook Ion EVO AS: specs not listed, but it's rated AA for traction UTQG, which is that for a very high performance tire.

If wet braking is important to you, I would consider a non-EV performance tire like the PSA4, or try the Hankook iON which is likely to still be pretty good.

I can get a discount on the Goodyears but will hold out for more data.

One more data point. This is a review of European summer specs. In summary the iON is an exceptionally good tire, outperforming the Michelin Pilot Sport 5 (the latest Michelin high performance summer tire, not EV specific!) in wet braking, and especially in rolling resistance.

Test was Tesla Model S with 19" wheels. This will be the tire I use to replace my MXM4 when the time comes, if I can. Being in USA it's more likely only the all-season is available which will lower performance a bit in everything (except of course cold & ice) but I hope much of the technology will carry over, as it usually does. The fact that Hankook can beat the usual technology champion, Michelin, is very impressive and it means their R&D is top level now.

I'm looking at the www.disccounttire.com website. For wet braking on MXM4 it says 148 ft new, 184 feet worn. Dry braking 128 ft. UTQG Traction A

Pilot Sport AS4 (not an EV tire, but very popular) wet: 130ft new, 148 ft worn. Dry braking 113. That's a performance tire (still all season), so its better. UTQG Traction AA.

Pirelli PZero Elect: wet: 149ft new 192 ft worn (Even worse than MXM4). Dry braking 126 ft. UTQG Traction AA.

Michelin Cross Climate 2: specs not listed.

Good Year Assurance Maxlife (a lifetime optimized tire): New 158ft wet, 194ft worn. dry: 129 ft. So even worse than MXM4. That's what you get for a long life tire.

Michelin Defender (another life and efficiency tire): New 156ft wet, 201 ft worn. Dry 129 ft. UTQG B.

Hankook Ion EVO AS: specs not listed, but it's rated AA for traction UTQG, which is that for a very high performance tire.

If wet braking is important to you, I would consider a non-EV performance tire like the PSA4, or try the Hankook iON which is likely to still be pretty good.
You probably mean Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person or Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person .

Anyway, here is a table that it gives for the "EV" tires in the 235/45/18 size. But there is no information on rolling resistance / economy, and no information on the Goodyear ElectricDrive GT or Hankook iON Evo AS.
Michelin Primacy MXM4 ACPirelli P Zero AS ELECTGoodyear ElectricDrive GTHankook iON Evo AS
Wet braking new / worn148 / 184 / 3.5149 / 192 / 3NANA
Dry braking128 / 3.5126 / 3.5NANA
Winter rating33NANA
Noise3.53.5NANA
Handling33.5NANA
Comfort34NANA

• Helpful
Reactions: DrChaos
I get a kick out of everyone knocking "cheap" tires because they might not perform as well when you need them, but the reality is any tire makes that tradeoff. Why is it OK to trade range and tire wear for braking performance, but not money? Tire wear and range is just money.

If the "you might need maximum braking performance one day" argument was consistent, we'd all be driving 200TW tires and replacing them every 8K miles (yes, they are better in the rain too), and "all season" tires would be illegal in snow.

It's a Chinese brand, and I think made in Cambodia.
Hankook makes tires in China and Indonesia. Michelin makes tires in Thailand. Continental makes them in Ecuador, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, and China.

I get a kick out of everyone knocking "cheap" tires because they might not perform as well when you need them, but the reality is any tire makes that tradeoff. Why is it OK to trade range and tire wear for braking performance, but not money? Tire wear and range is just money.

If the "you might need maximum braking performance one day" argument was consistent, we'd all be driving 200TW tires and replacing them every 8K miles (yes, they are better in the rain too), and "all season" tires would be illegal in snow.

Hankook makes tires in China and Indonesia. Michelin makes tires in Thailand. Continental makes them in Ecuador, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, and China.

I also find it quite humorous. The Model 3 and Y are built in China for many markets, SR+ batteries come from China. And many of the the aftermarket wheels/aero covers, body kits, pedals, spoilers, brake pad covers, steering wheels, suspension mods, power frunk kits and interior knick knacks that everyone here loves to show off come from China. Basically, just about everything aftermarket for the Model 3.

Yet, somehow, cheap Chinese tires are where we draw the line 🤣

I also find it quite humorous. The Model 3 and Y are built in China for many markets, SR+ batteries come from China. And many of the the aftermarket wheels/aero covers, body kits, pedals, spoilers, brake pad covers, steering wheels, suspension mods, power frunk kits and interior knick knacks that everyone here loves to show off come from China. Basically, just about everything aftermarket for the Model 3.

Yet, somehow, cheap Chinese tires are where we draw the line 🤣
exactly, granted Chinese tries are not tire 1 brands, but the thing is they cost way less, give Chinese couple more years to develop some good EV tires given the largely domestic market.