Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most over the top feature suggestion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the most over the top feature you could imagine Tesla adding to the car in the next 10-20 years? it should be something physically possible (or probable at least. given realistic technology enhancements over time), so, no anti-gravity or teleportation... though I guess helicopter blades would be fair...

Afterwards, I bet that at least a few of someones far fetched ideas will end up in a Tesla within the next 10 years. 10 years ago, I would have said something like auto-steering, (what AP1 was supposed to be) full autonomous mode would never have even occurred to me!

To start it off, here are some thoughts:
  • optional steering controls (wheel and pedals)
  • optional roof, with some kind of generated "shield" for rain (like an Air door - Wikipedia).
  • no wheels, using mag-lev technology to "hover" over metal embedded in the roads. (not "anti-gravity")
  • submarine car mode (actual).
  • unlimited range via transmitted power on major highways.
Some not so far fetched ones:
  • included wireless charging
  • biometric identification / authorization of drivers
  • inter car-communications with nearby cars (for AP use)

Hmm.

Replaceable/reconfigurable body shells - they sell you one power skateboard that you can use as a sleek sports coupe one day, a luxury convertible the next, and a hardworking pickup the day after, by switching the relatively inexpensive body attached. Might include loaner or rental bodies. (Or, as reconfigurable, you can replace pieces of the body one by one like Mr Potatohead - thus Frunk with that front cab and the other rear cabin or bed.)

All seats turn into single beds for sleeping whole the car drives.

Car trains - your car hooks up with the others nearby going down the same highway and you move as one unit. In the extreme version, you have front/rear doors and can go visiting your neighbors...

Pod cars - your family car is made up of two or more separate pieces that can drive together as one big car or separately to different destinations when needed.

In the recent Twitter conversations following the all glass roof EM responded that a deployable solar panel like a convertible top was feasible. It would expand to give more surface area than just the roof.

Variable paint color, selectable on the touch screen.

This tech exists today, but it's crazy expensive and difficult to implement. I'm sure Elon could figure out how to make it more feasible.

Just imagine, you're speeding down the highway and a cop spots a bright red Tesla. You round the bend hit a button, and now you're driving a dark blue (and obviously slower) Tesla :D

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Variable paint color, selectable on the touch screen.

This tech exists today, but it's crazy expensive and difficult to implement. I'm sure Elon could figure out how to make it more feasible.

Just imagine, you're speeding down the highway and a cop spots a bright red Tesla. You round the bend hit a button, and now you're driving a dark blue (and obviously slower) Tesla :D

This would be a nightmare... my wife would insist that the car's color always matched her shoes!
(BTW, do you have links for the tech today? that sounds kind of cool!)

Reactions: JediNinjaLady
Using the battery power to produce a force field just before a collision essentially bouncing the other car safely clear.

Self healing body parts so the car can pretend it didn't screw up and crash on the way to picking you up.

Sucking energy directly from the power poles, and any nearby source. Hey, it works in a video game. :)

Reactions: JediNinjaLady
Hmm.

Replaceable/reconfigurable body shells - they sell you one power skateboard that you can use as a sleek sports coupe one day, a luxury convertible the next, and a hardworking pickup the day after, by switching the relatively inexpensive body attached. Might include loaner or rental bodies. (Or, as reconfigurable, you can replace pieces of the body one by one like Mr Potatohead - thus Frunk with that front cab and the other rear cabin or bed.)

Nissan tried something like this with the Pulsar NX(EXA) - the notchback could become a quasi-wagon by changing the trunklid. Neat idea, poorly planned, poorly executed and in the end I don't think they sold too well.

Nissan EXA - Wikipedia

I could see Tesla doing something with next generation tires/wheels. Most other EVs use narrow tires for efficiency, sacrificing performance. Tesla goes the other way right now. If they were able to develop a dynamic tire/wheel of some sort, you could basically be running on bicycle tires on the straight highway stretches, and have nice fat tires through the corners. You'd need fast response for emergency maneuvers, but it could really give you the best of both worlds.

Hankook had a video with something similar a while ago (the "Hybrid Tire")