Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mother in law's Benz has been in the shop for 4 weeks, she is lined up to replace with M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We hear so many "horror" stories here. And yet my sample size of about 100 colleagues (NorCal, lots of Teslas in our company lot) have had only a few minor issues amongst them.

Anyway, just spoke to my mother in law who was already keen on a M3, but her decision has been accelerated by her leased Benz being in the shop for nearly a month. Her electronics went nuts, with a ton of warning messages. She limped home, still waiting a month later. Her lease ends in 6 months, M3 will replace the Benz.

Only the horror stories make it to online forums of any sort. There are thousands of happy owners out there without any issues.
True. I had a 2006 Mercedes E500 4matic wagon that had 190K miles when I sold it. Besides maintenance it was completely reliable and driven daily hard plus 2 road rallies and a trip from Detroit>Vegas>Grand Canyon>Detroit. The only reason I parted with it was because it need a rear airmatic shock. ~$2500 repair - car worth (and sold for) $5K.

Had a Co-worker who had a M3 in the 90s and it always broke down and frequently did not show up to work due to car. However, if you knew the guy it could have been the owner that caused all the problems, never changed oil, never checked coolent etc.

• Funny
Reactions: IdaX
We hear so many "horror" stories here. And yet my sample size of about 100 colleagues (NorCal, lots of Teslas in our company lot) have had only a few minor issues amongst them.

Anyway, just spoke to my mother in law who was already keen on a M3, but her decision has been accelerated by her leased Benz being in the shop for nearly a month. Her electronics went nuts, with a ton of warning messages. She limped home, still waiting a month later. Her lease ends in 6 months, M3 will replace the Benz.

So your MIL is going to switch to a BMW M3?

Uncle inlaw also had a M3 in the late 90's/early 00's, nothing but problems and bought a Lexus. Was happy with the switch. I would advise against a BMW purchase if reliability it primary concern. However I might tempted by the right bike. Huge fan of the Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Pretty sure he meant the Tesla M3.

Noticed comments afterwards about BMW and don’t think it was ever corrected or clarified. On this forum you’d think it would be Model 3 but too many posts where people feel the need to discuss other manufacturers even in Tesla specific forum areas. If the MIL is in the SFBay area on the Peninsula BMW has a huge showroom/service center in Mt.View we just passed the last night. Lots of M3s driving around this area too.

Last edited:
Even though it's obviously a Tesla Model 3 being discussed, I am personally respectful of heritage and legacy so I choose to refrain from using M3 shorthand. :)

@eustachio - not saying it will but it's certainly possible for a Model 3 to be in the shop for 4 weeks as well.

In any case, it's worth the risk. :D The whole hot vs crazy matrix thingy.