Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motley Fool story - Tesla Replacement Part Delays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1

@hybridbear -- you may or may not consider yourself a hypermiler (I'm personally am not one either), but your driving technique and achieving such a low average wH/mile rating indicates you drive in a manner which is unusual. Not saying it is bad or good, just unusual. The smooth, slow acceleration that achieves very low energy utilization is typically one that is MUCH slower than an average car acceleration path (electric or ICE) for common traffic (I'm not talking about teenagers flooring a car). By the same token, the very slow deceleration path you describe implies starting to decelerate MUCH farther away from the traffic light, stopped traffic than is normal and what most traffic does. Yes, this results in very low energy utilization with very shallow acceleration/deceleration curves, but it also is one that (to some extent) impedes other traffic because it is so different than what the majority of traffic is doing. Again, I'm not judging you or saying that is a bad thing, but I would certainly describe your driving technique as one which is (a) not normal and (b) tending towards the hypermiling/extremely efficient (from a fuel/energy savings perspective) end of the spectrum. Bottom line (getting back to the point about brake light application) is that your driving technique is most certainly an edge case and not what the current brake light implementation is set up for. To be effective given your technique, the brake lights would have to come on basically whenever regen activated and you'd have brake lights coming on all of the time which would really cause traffic behind you to accordion...

In automatic transmission cars you can't slow down at these rates without engaging the brake lights. Since most drivers on the road don't know anything other than automatics, they don't realize that Teslas can slow down very aggressively without activating any brake lights.
This is not true, too. If you slow down aggresively with normal regen braking (as in removing your foot from the go pedal), the brake lights DO come on. If you have regen set to LOW, then brakes lights don't come on, but you're not aggressively braking.

Look at the toy car in the display. You can see when the brake lights come on in the graphic (if it's not too bright out).

This is not true, too. If you slow down aggresively with normal regen braking (as in removing your foot from the go pedal), the brake lights DO come on. If you have regen set to LOW, then brakes lights don't come on, but you're not aggressively braking.

Look at the toy car in the display. You can see when the brake lights come on in the graphic (if it's not too bright out).
But it takes a long time for the brake lights to come on. You have to be braking very hard before they come on. And at lower speeds they will turn off.

Perhaps we should move this discussion on braking and brake lights to a separate thread..??..

Ironically, almost 3 years ago, we were debating here on TMC why Tesla implemented algorithm / sensor settings that caused the brake lights to come on too often. Several owners shared stories of irate drivers (from behind) angry at the Tesla driver for what they thought was intentional (antagonistic) braking. Perhaps Tesla changed the settings since then, but FWIW that has not been my impression.

Reactions: LoL Rick
Hi All,
Wanted to share my current experience with you all and you will agree why almost all of us owners swear by Tesla !

After the accident almost a month back the Tesla had been stuck at the body shop which Tesla outsources to at each locale - here a company called Caliber - and I am at my wits end !
Guess what though - here's the difference with Tesla and why we swear by it . I just shot an email to Jon McNeil the VP 10 minutes back complaining and got up to take a leak . In that time the Head of Global repairs had already called me from Milwaukee and assured that he will directly take care of the matter . Jon also replied directly via email .Soon as I put the phone down another lady from Tesla HQ called to get more details and assure she would be taking care of it first thing in the morning ! It's simply brilliant and a classic management case study on how to handle a customer with a problem and convert him into an even more ardent advocate !

An MBA and CEO of a company myself , I swear I have never come across a team as responsive to customers needs as much as the Tesla team is !

This is why I love Tesla and will continue to do so :)

Cheers
Thomas
Ps . Thanks jonm

Jon,

Thanks for handling this very well. It is indeed a huge concern and could possibly be something that pulls Tesla down in the months and years ahead if its not well thought through.

I am one of the early Model S owners having reserved mine in 2012 ( ( P11040) and probably the only one with 4 accidents to date and last one being last Tuesday.

It is exactly as you say - Every time the folks at TSC ( especially here at Raleigh TSC - Trevor, Gwenen and the team are family to us ! ) have been so so so quick in their turn around it is unbelievable - it is always the body shop and the delay in the parts ordering processes where it gets delayed. Let me detail my various experiences reverse chronologically FYI :

1. Accident 7 Mar 2017 : ( BTW both my wife's and my life's saved only because it was a Tesla - we opened the doors and walked away even though there were 10 ways we could have died that day ! But that another story )
  1. 7 Mar : Car towed to Body Shop ( Caliber Collision )
  2. 9 Mar : initial inspection done only then because they have 14 Tesla's in line and 1 trained person to handle them ! Insurance agent visits but they decide it needs to be taken to TSC to check suspension and wheel damage as well as possible impact on motor.
  3. 13 Mar : I call and push and prod
  4. 14 Mar : Again call push and prod and car finally towed to TSC
  5. 15 Mar : TSC inspects it, finds damage to suspension and one wheel and fix it immediately
  6. 16 Mar : they have the car driving again to test alignment and end of day it will be ready to go back to Body shop ( TSC turnaround in 24 hours )
  7. However the body shop will be able to strip it down for final estimate only next week as they have 14 Teslas ahead of me
  8. So somewhere toward the mid or end of next week alone will they be able to order the parts - i.e 2 weeks + already gone by !
  9. Then comes the parts ordering nightmare which in my past experiences have taken anywhere between 3 weeks to 3 months !
2. Accident on 19 Aug 2015 - side swiped - could drive car - however ordering and body shop work took 1 month + to fix . Parts Ordered 31 Aug - arrived Sep 10 - Car fixed Oct 1 week.
3. Accident 0n 10 Mar 2015 - Rear ended - couldn't drive car - took 1 month + got it on 16 April just to replace bumper and rear incidentals . TSC Service Manager Trevor was very helpful in calling up Tesla CA to get a last remaining part in time for us to got the MD Tesla meetup :)
4. Accident on 6 Dec 2016 - Rear ended - got it back after almost 3 Months ! - 26 Feb - At that time there were huge delays in getting parts and at the end of 2 months of waiting TSC Raleigh was good enough to acknowledge Tesla delay and give me a loaner.

So bottom line Jon, things have come a long way from those days. Tesla Service Centers are awesome ! However as long as Tesla doesn't have control over the entire process Tesla will not be able to deliver the same impeccably outstanding level of service that we owners are so used to and even spoilt with now ! :)

So hope with the Model 3 coming out ( 2 of which I am waiting for as well ) the stress will be all the more ( or less with autonomous driving ) but either way thing these body shop work also needs to be brought in house to ensure that level of quality and customer experience !

On a personal note hope yu will have someone assigned to the case for my P11040 and deal directly with Caliber Collision ( Raleigh, NC ) so that the parts are delivered in time and someone from Tesla is at the very least managing the process and not making me have to call them every day !

Thanks
Thomas
Sorry to hear that your car has been in so many accidents - mine was written off recently and now waiting for a replacement to be built. CDN$88,000 was the initial estimate to repair, and probably months to repair which was a bit of a mercy call.

I'm beginning to think that there's got to be some kind of invisible target on Teslas - one invisible to the owners, but blinking-neon-sign-like to other drivers. It's that, or there's slew of people that need to pay greater attention,to calm down and take less risk while driving and go back to driving school, and just perhaps, fail to pass. I'd prefer the latter.

Hi All,
Wanted to share my current experience with you all and you will agree why almost all of us owners swear by Tesla !

After the accident almost a month back the Tesla had been stuck at the body shop which Tesla outsources to at each locale - here a company called Caliber - and I am at my wits end !
Guess what though - here's the difference with Tesla and why we swear by it . I just shot an email to Jon McNeil the VP 10 minutes back complaining and got up to take a leak . In that time the Head of Global repairs had already called me from Milwaukee and assured that he will directly take care of the matter . Jon also replied directly via email .Soon as I put the phone down another lady from Tesla HQ called to get more details and assure she would be taking care of it first thing in the morning ! It's simply brilliant and a classic management case study on how to handle a customer with a problem and convert him into an even more ardent advocate !

An MBA and CEO of a company myself , I swear I have never come across a team as responsive to customers needs as much as the Tesla team is !

Cheers
Thomas
Ps . Thanks jonm

So you have the part?

Hi All,

Cheers
Thomas
Ps . Thanks jonm

That's awesome, but the fact you had to call a VP to get your issue taken care of is pretty ridiculous.
And when the waves of Model 3s start hitting the road...and eventually the service centers, I don't think Tesla has enough VPs to take care of each owner emailing them about service issues.

That's awesome, but the fact you had to call a VP to get your issue taken care of is pretty ridiculous.
And when the waves of Model 3s start hitting the road...and eventually the service centers, I don't think Tesla has enough VPs to take care of each owner emailing them about service issues.

1. Are you a Tesla owner?
2. If so, do you have a different experience with repairs?

1. Are you a Tesla owner?
2. If so, do you have a different experience with repairs?

No I am not. But I have had several cars I've owned in the body shop over the years....and never did I have to contact C-suite personnel to get an issue taken care of.

Currently, my Bolt is actually at my dealer's body shop since it suffered some rear body damage recently. Dropped it off last Tuesday, and it is expected to be ready either today or tomorrow. Would have been ready a couple of days ago, but the bodyshop broke some taillight while removing the bumper, which required an extra special order for a part shipped from Michigan. I haven't been 100% satisfied with the experience, but only people I've emailed is my insurance adjuster.

My car just came out of a 30 day shop visit for a small tear in the right rear quarter panel and a crack in the bumper. Initially scheduled before parts, I was luck to have a drivable car so I scheduled repair after the parts arrived. Once the cars was torn down one other part had to be ordered but it didn't take too long. Tesla called and asked how the repair was coming along and also called the shop while I was on the line to make sure things were moving along.

I picked up the car yesterday (about 9 days earlier than promised so it really wasn't a 30 day shop visit). During the inspection/ walk-around with the shop rep. we talked about parts and Tesla. He said that their shop has had parts delays with all manufacturers. They had waited 30 days for an aluminum hood for a Honda. So, while Tesla may seem to be the worst, the problem apparently isn't limited to our brand exclusively.

FWIW

No I am not. But I have had several cars I've owned in the body shop over the years....and never did I have to contact C-suite personnel to get an issue taken care of.

Currently, my Bolt is actually at my dealer's body shop since it suffered some rear body damage recently. Dropped it off last Tuesday, and it is expected to be ready either today or tomorrow. Would have been ready a couple of days ago, but the bodyshop broke some taillight while removing the bumper, which required an extra special order for a part shipped from Michigan. I haven't been 100% satisfied with the experience, but only people I've emailed is my insurance adjuster.

OK, I thought that might be the case given your signature and blog promotion.

FTR, I hope the Bolt sells like crazy. I'm in this for the EV revolution and feel the more the better. (I give thumbs up to LEAF drivers all the time) I also realize there would be no Bolt without Tesla. And of course, GM has the infrastructure in place via dealerships to handle repairs at scale. (most dealerships also own these collision shops) Tesla has no dealerships. (which is good)

While I'm sure many folks appreciate your opinions, as a non-owner these are not personal experiences - just opinions and conjecture. To be completely honest, it feels a bit as if you would prefer to promote GM here. I'm not being contrary, just being honest. And again - I hope GM sells EV's like crazy.

Personally, I've just had a 24 hour turnaround with bumper repairs at a certified body shop - an excellent experience with no emails required. My wife on the other hand, as I posted earlier, had a horrific experience with the local MB dealership's collision shop getting a door replaced. There is no black and white here - lots of gray.

But commenting in a critical fashion about something you have no first hand experience with might lead some folks to feel you have other motives. (heck we have lots of posts around here that feel like the person is short on TSLA...)

Just my 2 cents, for what it is worth.

OK, I thought that might be the case given your signature and blog promotion.

But commenting in a critical fashion about something you have no first hand experience with might lead some folks to feel you have other motives. (heck we have lots of posts around here that feel like the person is short on TSLA...)

Just my 2 cents, for what it is worth.

So you think everyone should have to call a VP to get action? It doesn't take a personal Tesla experience to recognize that as problematic. (I'm long TSLA)

Last edited:
So you think everyone should have to call a VP to get action? It doesn't take a personal Tesla experience to recognize that as problematic. (I'm long TSLA)

I do not, nor did I assert that. My experience required no call at all. Others had issues as posted here that are challenging. Most are as the result of poor execution between the certified shop and Fremont. Needs to be fixed for sure.

The way I look at it as that the VP fixed it immediately. The speaks volumes about those in upper offices. Good luck getting that response from one of the bigs - and I speak from experience with my wife's former R350. ( in shop 6 weeks out of first 9 we had it...)

My experience with collision was as an owner of the car, which the poster to whom I replied to is not.

Lots of folks here are non owners with opinions. I tend to pay more attention to other owners and theirs.

Reactions: voltaren
True, but what matters is not that things go wrong. Always happens and with the BMWs et al my experience has been way worse ! Its how you handle it. I think they are on track and are implementing processes to handle the additional volumes with the 3. on the other hand with the semi or full autonomous features accidents might reduce drastically too !

Reactions: shonline
True, but what matters is not that things go wrong. Always happens and with the BMWs et al my experience has been way worse ! Its how you handle it. I think they are on track and are implementing processes to handle the additional volumes with the 3. on the other hand with the semi or full autonomous features accidents might reduce drastically too !
also how many such CEOs or VPs are accessible like at Tesla? Ever tried to reach one of them with the biggies ;)

Reactions: shonline