Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mountain Pass Coilover 6 Month Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great, thank you for such a quick reply! Now how would I go about getting the car lowered to a certain height? Would my installer first measure the ground to fender height with my current setup and then after installing your coils, then lower to my specs afterwards?

Another question that I have is regarding alignment. If I get my car aligned at a certain height and then let’s say during the winter, I raise my car up do I need another alignment at that point? or if I raise my car up temporarily for a winter trip and then lower back to the height before, would that not matter?
Installation is really no different than your previous M3, there is a recommended drop we'll use that most people are happy with - but can go higher or lower as depending on your particular taste.

Changing the height will affect alignment. You can always mark the perch to get the adjusters in the right position.

Reactions: jpy1980
Great, thank you for such a quick reply! Now how would I go about getting the car lowered to a certain height? Would my installer first measure the ground to fender height with my current setup and then after installing your coils, then lower to my specs afterwards?

Another question that I have is regarding alignment. If I get my car aligned at a certain height and then let’s say during the winter, I raise my car up do I need another alignment at that point? or if I raise my car up temporarily for a winter trip and then lower back to the height before, would that not matter?
No problem at all!

Our instructions include initial height settings, so your installer can use those for a quick and easy install if you like the drop they provide.

MPP Coilover Installation Instructions

If you were to follow these settings, your hub-to-fender measurement would be 395mm. You can grab a measuring tape and check on your own car to get a good idea of what that will look like! The installer (or you) can lower or raise the car beyond those settings, but I'd say a lot of people like to keep them as-is.

Great question. Yes, you need to realign the car if you raise or lower it by more than 10mm. The camber and toe angles will all change with ride height adjustments and you risk ruining your tires pretty quickly!

Got it! Not to detract from the thread too much but what do guys with air Suspension do in regards to alignment? They are changing heights quite frequently. Now I know the “stance” guys don’t really care about their tires and/or alignment, but I was considering air suspension for a good cruising height that has the ability to avoid steep driveways and obstacles, etc?

Thanks for all the info!

Got it! Not to detract from the thread too much but what do guys with air Suspension do in regards to alignment? They are changing heights quite frequently. Now I know the “stance” guys don’t really care about their tires and/or alignment, but I was considering air suspension for a good cruising height that has the ability to avoid steep driveways and obstacles, etc?

Thanks for all the info!
Ideally, you would have a car that was designed for air suspension (very little geometry change with raising or lowering). In the case of these cars, if you align it at X ride height, the alignment will only be within those specs at X ride height. You'd have to choose the height you plan to drive at and only drive at that height unless tire wear is not a concern for you.

Unfortunately yes if you raise or lower your ride height significantly you're going to change toe on both front and rear suspension so you will need to realign.

Reactions: jpy1980
Ideally, you would have a car that was designed for air suspension (very little geometry change with raising or lowering). In the case of these cars, if you align it at X ride height, the alignment will only be within those specs at X ride height. You'd have to choose the height you plan to drive at and only drive at that height unless tire wear is not a concern for you.
Since you guys seem to know a lot about this I'm wondering what your estimate is of toe change from an inch of raising or lowering a Model 3 or Model Y and also does lowering increased toe in or increase toe out?

Thanks for all the info!
@jpy1980 Our Model S has the factory air suspension. It has a feature to automatically lower above a configurable speed, i.e. at highway speeds, for aerodynamic efficiency. Sounds useful right? WRONG. Terrible feature. When aligned within Tesla's specs at "Standard" height, if you let the car auto-lower into "Low" height for all your highway driving then it'll eat up your tires in no time. Maybe an in-between alignment could've balanced Standard and Low well for us, but after chewing through expensive Michelin PS2's way too quick, we didn't want to risk it.

(It also has a feature to auto-raise at set locations, which is super useful. For sure that messes up alignment too but it doesn't matter because it's so few miles, not like auto-lowering on the highway.)

MPP is right that air suspension does nothing to prevent alignment changes.

If you only go extra high to clear obstacles, or extra low while parked to look cool, then it doesn't matter because you're hardly doing any miles in those settings. Get it aligned at your normal ride height, and put almost all your miles on at that height, and your tires will be fine.

However if you want to drive higher all the time in winter, then lower all the time in summer, you'll have the same need to realign no matter if your springs are coiled metal or air bags.

• Love
Reactions: jpy1980 and miracj
No problem at all!

Our instructions include initial height settings, so your installer can use those for a quick and easy install if you like the drop they provide.

MPP Coilover Installation Instructions

If you were to follow these settings, your hub-to-fender measurement would be 395mm. You can grab a measuring tape and check on your own car to get a good idea of what that will look like! The installer (or you) can lower or raise the car beyond those settings, but I'd say a lot of people like to keep them as-is.

Great question. Yes, you need to realign the car if you raise or lower it by more than 10mm. The camber and toe angles will all change with ride height adjustments and you risk ruining your tires pretty quickly!
Where can I see some pictures of an MYP on the MPP coil overs? Also, I am in North County San Diego is there a place around here I can get them installed that you know? Also, I was looking at UPP coil overs, and they suggested getting some bars in the back to avoid excessive tire wear. Do you suggest the same or different, and if so, what parts do I need to get for your setup? 🙏 for the response.

Where can I see some pictures of an MYP on the MPP coil overs? Also, I am in North County San Diego is there a place around here I can get them installed that you know? Also, I was looking at UPP coil overs, and they suggested getting some bars in the back to avoid excessive tire wear. Do you suggest the same or different, and if so, what parts do I need to get for your setup? 🙏 for the response.
We have a ton of photos in a couple of our threads, we always have MPP kits in stock and are located in Anaheim.

We have a ton of photos in a couple of our threads, we always have MPP kits in stock and are located in Anaheim.

Perfect. Im in Oceanside, can we do a call or something so I can hatch out some options with you and set up a day to get some things done. I would need to come up in the morning and have it done the same day if that's possible.

Prior Experience:

I started off with UP moderate springs eventually switching over to the MPP coilovers. When I first purchased my car, I realized that I wanted to lower the wheel gap and hopefully get some improved handling. The Model Y Performance is a big car. Although it does handle fairly well from the factory, it wasn’t making me happy. I’ve been in the tuner car scene for years ranging from VWs, Honda’s, BMW’s, and Audi’s. I always either had spring and shock combos or coilovers. Well from my initial impressions with the springs, I realized that the stock shocks simply were not built to really handle just having springs. I drove across the country with the stock shock and spring combo and it couldn’t handle bumps and would hit the bump stops constantly. My wife also complained about how bouncy the car was.

Another issue I had with the springs was although I torqued them to spec, I would get a popping sound from the front strut mounts. I also would get clicking and tapping sounds coming from the rear as well. With the added bounciness of the car, I started having random creaks that were never there before.

MPP Comfort Coilover Experience:

I eventually decided to make the investment of purchasing the MPP comfort coilovers. I was comparing both MPP and Unplugged Performance. What I didn’t like about the UP coilovers is that I had no idea who makes them. With MPP, they are made by KW but to MPP specs. I have had KW coilovers in the past and have always had great experiences.

Installation was fairly straight forward. MPP provides instructions on their website and being able to adjust the coilovers on and off the car was very easy.

I had my coilovers set on the most conservative settings for dampening and rebound. Knowing that my car is a daily driver and I have to cart a wife around, it only made sense. Immediately, the car was way more comfortable than when I was on factory suspension and when I was on UP springs. With everything installed to spec, I noticed immediately that the random sounds I had when I was on springs disappeared as well.

I also tested the ride on some speed bumps and noticed that the coilovers would not bottom out either. High speed cornering was also vastly improved, even with the conservative suspension settings. My friend and I were smiling the entire way around high way on ramps and quick corners.

What I loved about these coilovers was the ability to go low. I have always driven low cars and in order to get the stance that I wanted, I set the coilover height almost maxing out the drop. Even with the low ride height, the car still was comfortable and rode very well.

Wife Review:

She much prefers the ride quality of the MPP over stock and when I had UP springs. On the conservative settings, it rides much smoother.

If you’re considering going either springs or coilovers, the MPP Comfort coilovers should really be at the top of your list. I learned the hard way of going cheap on lowering the car at first. Do it right the first time and get the proper set up.
What’s does this cost?