Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after about 100+ miles I can say with certainty: the driving experience is completely transformed. As mentioned in my previous post, one of the first things I noticed was the absorption of road imperfections. While that is still a huge enjoyable improvement, I'm now enamored by the confidence in handling. I find myself pushing the Y more than I ever did on the MYP springs.

Currently it's set to the MPP recommended settings (which is 75% towards the soft end). This setting and the ride height (-1" from MYP height) is perfect for my driving style and family needs.

View attachment 637333 View attachment 637334

I loved the drop look.

What’s the exact measurements on the coil overs itself to get the 1 inch drop lower than stock? How many clicks from full stiff?

I loved the drop look.

What’s the exact measurements on the coil overs itself to get the 1 inch drop lower than stock? How many clicks from full stiff?

Unfortunately I don't know the exact measurements on the coilovers. When I brought my car in for the installed I requested 1" drop from current height. If it helps, the hub-fender distance is 385mm front/rear

MPP Initial settings:
- Front 12/12 (compression/rebound clicks open from full stiff)
- Rear 10/8 (compression/rebound clicks open from full stiff)

Reactions: buddalun and DennyL
So after about 100+ miles I can say with certainty: the driving experience is completely transformed. As mentioned in my previous post, one of the first things I noticed was the absorption of road imperfections. While that is still a huge enjoyable improvement, I'm now enamored by the confidence in handling. I find myself pushing the Y more than I ever did on the MYP springs.

Currently it's set to the MPP recommended settings (which is 75% towards the soft end). This setting and the ride height (-1" from MYP height) is perfect for my driving style and family needs.

View attachment 637333 View attachment 637334

That looks great! 1” drop is what I’m after as well on the MYP. How’s the clearance in and out of driveways, parking lots, etc?

Unfortunately I don't know the exact measurements on the coilovers. When I brought my car in for the installed I requested 1" drop from current height. If it helps, the hub-fender distance is 385mm front/rear

MPP Initial settings:
- Front 12/12 (compression/rebound clicks open from full stiff)
- Rear 10/8 (compression/rebound clicks open from full stiff)

I’ll chime in since I did my own coilover install and have a pretty good handle on the settings. Hub fender distance of 385mm is a 1.5in drop and the maximum drop that MPP recommends.

From MPPs website the stock hub fender distance in the PUP is 422mm and MPPs suspension describes:

• Height adjustable from 10mm above the OE Performance Y ride height to factory ride height down to 40mm lower.

MPP Comfort Adjustable Recommended Hub-Fender Distance:

Front: 385mm – 430mm
Rear: 385mm – 430mm

A 40mm drop is 1.5 in
@richoki , it’s possible your PUP was already a bit lower and the shop did as requested and gave you a 1 inch drop.

I’m just relaying the numbers posted by MPP.

4729A656-FE73-4691-855A-1D570A73D9FD.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DennyL and richoki
I’ll chime in since I did my own coilover install and have a pretty good handle on the settings. Hub fender distance of 385mm is a 1.5in drop and the maximum drop that the MPP coilovers have.

From MPPs website the stock hub fender distance in the PUP is 422mm and MPPs suspension describes:

• Height adjustable from 10mm above the OE Performance Y ride height to factory ride height down to 40mm lower.

MPP Comfort Adjustable Recommended Hub-Fender Distance:

Front: 385mm – 430mm
Rear: 385mm – 430mm

A 40mm drop is 1.5 in
@richoki , it’s possible your PUP was already a bit lower and the shop did as requested and gave you a 1 inch drop.

I’m just relaying the numbers posted by MPP.

View attachment 637464

Thank you for clearing this up! I think you’re right about the possibility of it being a little lower from the start. I’ll double check the hub-fender distance tomorrow

That looks great! 1” drop is what I’m after as well on the MYP. How’s the clearance in and out of driveways, parking lots, etc?

Thank you! So far no issues both driveways and parking lots. I should note that since I’ve had my Y I’ve always entered and exited at a slight slant.

Not the best example, but no problems with my driveway on the left.

DCC1229B-5CB6-444D-9374-B1C1BD3DB691.jpeg

When you installed the MPP’s, did you have the vehicle corner balanced? Does MPP feel that would be necessary for a road car?

I doubt you will notice the difference of corner balancing the car when street driving, so I wouldn't consider it necessary unless you are going to be driving on the track! You will often end up with each corner of the car being a slightly different height after corner balancing, so if your goal is perfect symmetry, this won't be great for you either :D

A follow-up to my adjustment notes from #71 .. doing this for the 3rd time (now trying 12/12 all-around.. iterating until it's perfect)

I just realized that the windshield washer filler (driver's front rebound adjustment) is designed to be twisted on the pipe coupling (give it an upwards pull to get you more work space and it will turn).. less chance of losing the KW adjustment tool!

Oh and wear thin all-purpose/gardening gloves (or latex/nitrile gloves), you'll be using your fingertips to adjust and need some tactile feedback to feel the clicks, and the bottom compression settings can really make your fingers sore and peel skin

DSC09862 1.jpg
DSC09860 1.jpg

How long after install are you guys waiting to get alignment? Also, with adjusting ride height after said alignment, how much range of up/down can you do without having to realign? Would tire wear be negligible with +/- 1/2” up/down? I have a LR AWD and would be setting it up at the Performance ride height, maybe 1/2” lower. Thanks

How long after install are you guys waiting to get alignment? Also, with adjusting ride height after said alignment, how much range of up/down can you do without having to realign? Would tire wear be negligible with +/- 1/2” up/down? I have a LR AWD and would be setting it up at the Performance ride height, maybe 1/2” lower. Thanks

If you're really paranoid easiest way to kinda avoid the issue is just set it initially to stock height, drive around for like 500-1000miles and let the springs settle. Then adjust to height and do an alignment.

I'd do an alignment regardless of how much height has changed especially since stock Tesla alignment can already be off.

Not paranoid, I just know suspensions tend to settle after installation. Also, having adjustable ride height, is just that, adjustable to figure out what you like better. Thus the question how much adjustment from initial setup would the hive mind recommend another alignment. It would be a real pain to get one for every change one tries in ride height. Would rather not give alignment shop $100 for every time I make adjustments, and don’t want to eat through tires either. I know there will need to be an alignment at initial setup.