Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mounting EZPass under trunk vent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zhu-

custom title
Oct 24, 2018
NJ
Has anyone tried mounting their EZPass under the vent or grill in the trunk? I usually take mine out and hold it while going through tolls because I don't like it on the windshield. Would be great if it can be mounted in a hidden area.

I mounted mine on the windshield behind the mirror so I can't see it from the drivers seat. Mine fails to register just often enough that it would be a pain if I had to get out of the car and into the trunk to get it to hand to the attendant to enter manually.

• Funny
Reactions: davedavedave
I mounted mine on the windshield behind the mirror so I can't see it from the drivers seat. Mine fails to register just often enough that it would be a pain if I had to get out of the car and into the trunk to get it to hand to the attendant to enter manually.

When there's traffic around the tolls? Usually on a clear road I drive through 30mph+ and barely get to see the status sign. I use mine only a few times a month so I don't mind the hassle of manually holding it but it has never not worked in the 10 years I've had it through the windshield. Only missed once when I tried keeping it in my center console to see if it can be detected (did not). I'm sure you can call them for a free replacement.

I'll try to do some experimenting with mounting it in the rear and see if it's detected if nobody has tried yet.

I hate anything on windshield too.

So I put in the rear window/sunroof. Only a rear passenger would ever see it.
I don't think it would be reliable under that grill.

EZ-Pass location

Thanks for the link.

Yeah especially in a super minimalist interior, anything on the windshield sticks out way too much to me. I might just have to continue holding mine on the occasional toll roads.

It might work in the rear center console compartment (arm rest).
I don't think the lid has metal in it. The grill is metal.
Someone in that thread I linked put it behind the front bumper cover.

I'd hate to have to hold it every time. If I had to do it daily it would be pain. And if rarely needed I'd surely forget.

It might work in the rear center console compartment (arm rest).
I don't think the lid has metal in it. The grill is metal.
Someone in that thread I linked put it behind the front bumper cover.

I'd hate to have to hold it every time. If I had to do it daily it would be pain. And if rarely needed I'd surely forget.

I'll do a few experiments when I receive my car in two weeks and report back.

Yeah if I was using daily I would definitely need to mount it. I pass through tolls two or four times max per month so at the moment it's a worthwhile trade-off. Been doing it for several years now so I'm used to reaching for it when tolls are approaching.

When there's traffic around the tolls? Usually on a clear road I drive through 30mph+ and barely get to see the status sign. I use mine only a few times a month so I don't mind the hassle of manually holding it but it has never not worked in the 10 years I've had it through the windshield. Only missed once when I tried keeping it in my center console to see if it can be detected (did not). I'm sure you can call them for a free replacement.

I'll try to do some experimenting with mounting it in the rear and see if it's detected if nobody has tried yet.

On my route to work I have to use the toll booths, not the ones you can drive through at speed. Once every 3 months or so it fails to read my transponder and I have to hand to the person manning the booth (after I wait five minutes for them to notice traffic backing up behind me) and they enter it manually. I'd say I get stuck behind someone else for the same or related reason once a month.

I don’t know the power of the EZPass transponders but I have had a perfect track record with my IPass in the glove box.

Aside from the minimalist manual, screen cleaner, J1772 adapter, a small screwdriver and pressure gauge, there’s nothing else in my glove box so ymmv.

• Helpful
Reactions: spacemnspiff
Has anyone tried mounting their EZPass under the vent or grill in the trunk? I usually take mine out and hold it while going through tolls because I don't like it on the windshield. Would be great if it can be mounted in a hidden area.

In the trunk? Its supposed to be on the front of the car.

Anyway...I wrapped mine in carbon fiber. and it almost disappears sitting on the drivers side front speaker.

Sun Pass (FL) stick on xponder ( $5 ) mounts on windshield just to right of camera pod and you can barely see it from the drivers seat. What's all the concern?

Looks like crap from the outside and passenger seat.

It’s also a pain when cleaning windshield.

Less crap on the windshield the better.

I’d remove the inspection sticker if I could.

Reactions: butlermd
I got this and mounted it to the right of the camera array, at the top of the windshield. I can't see it from the drivers side, and it's pretty subdued from the exterior. It's even less noticeable due to the factory tint at the top of the windshield. I didn't want to mount anything with adhesive so this was a good compromise, especially because it hides the ugly white. Never fails to register at the tolls.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G2T6O30/

The EZPass here in Texas is required to be placed on the windshield permanently. It has an adhesive backing that once attached to the windshield will be destroyed if you try to remove it. They don't like you moving it to different vehicles, one tag/one vehicle.

The EZPass here in Texas is required to be placed on the windshield permanently. It has an adhesive backing that once attached to the windshield will be destroyed if you try to remove it. They don't like you moving it to different vehicles, one tag/one vehicle.

Interesting, you can share the same EZPass here in NJ as long as it's the same vehicle class (sedan, suv, van, etc.).

The windshield mounted devices are passive RFID devices with no battery or attention required. When you pass under a toll structure, radio energy from the "reader" or "interrogator" illuminates the device. The devices use this energy as a power source to activate a small transmitter within them which then transmits an identifying data burst back to the "interrogator". That's why they're mounted on the windshields. They probably work at highway speed despite signs requesting 25 mph when going through former toll gates. Sometimes the RFID "interrogators" are on an unmarked overhead structure with a bunch of small boxes mounted along them to cover all the lanes. This is a far simpler system than the battery powered ones. In Florida the devices are $5 at many retail stores and you just register their number in your online account.