Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Movies while you recharge? MP4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use my phone or iPad for this. My complaint is that the BT audio is delayed and out of sync with the video. This isn't something Tesla can fix, but apple can. They can introduce a slider to allow you to delay the video. I think android might have this feature, but I'm not sure.

You are all a resourceful group...but there's zero technical, business, legal, or financial reason that this can't be implemented for all cars.

-Allow it only in park for the obvious reasons
-Add a video app that can use the USB port (for hard drive/jump drive video sources) or bluetooth support. (Streaming might be possible, although Tesla might want to limit bandwidth.
-Support major video formats...MKV, etc.
-Have a "list" of files (just like the audio app shows lists of artists/songs/etc. so that we can load up a hard drive with videos for use in the car.
-Support a slider for the video timeline...all the usual bells and whistles.
-The video would probably just use one half of the screen due to aspect ratio, but other half could be used for video/audio controls, scrubbing, chapter selection, language/subtitle (for those formats that support it, etc.).
-UI design should of course be dark except for the video to not distract when watching at night
-App should remember when you finish a video, and remember where you left off so that it's easy to resume at the next convenient time.
-Of course it would use the car's audio system for playback.

This would be awesome for watching videos while Supercharging, waiting to pick someone up at the airport, etc. Just awesome. I'm kinda shocked it hasn't been implemented yet. It's not super-difficult to do, and we've already been waiting several years for it. Instead the resources are spent on trying to predict when to preheat the car, thinking that it can learn your schedule? <Facepalm>.

Anyway, one other thing they'd have to do is add support for the NTFS file system. The currently supported FAT32 system only supports 4 GB file sizes I believe...so if you rip a DVD/Blu-Ray for playback in the car, the file might be too big for playback in the system.

This is a no-brainer and should be done before a lot of the other silly features that most people realize just don't work reliably (like trying to predict your schedule).

Good answer, thank you.

You are all a resourceful group...but there's zero technical, business, legal, or financial reason that this can't be implemented for all cars.

-Allow it only in park for the obvious reasons
-Add a video app that can use the USB port (for hard drive/jump drive video sources) or bluetooth support. (Streaming might be possible, although Tesla might want to limit bandwidth.
-Support major video formats...MKV, etc.
-Have a "list" of files (just like the audio app shows lists of artists/songs/etc. so that we can load up a hard drive with videos for use in the car.
-Support a slider for the video timeline...all the usual bells and whistles.
-The video would probably just use one half of the screen due to aspect ratio, but other half could be used for video/audio controls, scrubbing, chapter selection, language/subtitle (for those formats that support it, etc.).
-UI design should of course be dark except for the video to not distract when watching at night
-App should remember when you finish a video, and remember where you left off so that it's easy to resume at the next convenient time.
-Of course it would use the car's audio system for playback.

This would be awesome for watching videos while Supercharging, waiting to pick someone up at the airport, etc. Just awesome. I'm kinda shocked it hasn't been implemented yet. It's not super-difficult to do, and we've already been waiting several years for it. Instead the resources are spent on trying to predict when to preheat the car, thinking that it can learn your schedule? <Facepalm>.

Anyway, one other thing they'd have to do is add support for the NTFS file system. The currently supported FAT32 system only supports 4 GB file sizes I believe...so if you rip a DVD/Blu-Ray for playback in the car, the file might be too big for playback in the system.

This is a no-brainer and should be done before a lot of the other silly features that most people realize just don't work reliably (like trying to predict your schedule).

Great finally some decent support. Why should I have to carry and worry about an iPad when this car is an iPad on wheels?

- - - Updated - - -

Great finally some decent support. Why should I have to carry and worry about an iPad when this car is an iPad on wheels?

Brings to mind yet another missing item... Internal hard drive (Solid State of course) at least 512G. For now my thumb drive with my music is sticking out into the only storage (tray) area and gets knocked about often.

- - - Updated - - -

Brings to mind yet another missing item... Internal hard drive (Solid State of course) at least 512G. For now my thumb drive with my music is sticking out into the only storage (tray) area and gets knocked about often.

Easily fixable. Buy one of these:

Amazon.com: Generic USB 3.0 Vertical Male to Female Adapter Left Angle and Right Angle Adapter: Computers Accessories