Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Front Rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't know where to post this so it gets its own thread; finally installed the BBK (front rotors) on my previously Stealth Performance 3 (I wanted to wait till after Tesla corrected a minor alignment adjustment cause they were gonna do it for free)

Not having a lift is less than fun but not really difficult. Just a couple pics, I started pretty late in the day and after cleaning up and all, it was kinda dark out... Yes... I had my calipers painted because I wanted to... ;)

Everything off, brake tied up with wire tires

oldOff.jpeg

old bits, garage is a mess - those parts now safely stowed out of the way

parts.jpeg

initial tighten, car still up in the air - 129 lb/ft torque still seems pretty high to me but that's what I found everyone saying ( full tighten didn't happen till car on the ground)

nearly.jpeg

Weird flash effect at the rotor/caliper upper corner... there's nothing wrong there, it was just a weird phone camera flash thing

dark out.jpeg

Drove a mile or 3 to bed things in (didn't yet put the MPP pads on, but I will after some time... doing my own baby comparo there)

I think the brakes feel stronger but it could be in my mind... there's no increase in pressure but there's a bit larger sweep so maybe there's that increase of brake torque to the radius increase? MPP folks will set me straight no doubt

I do like the look of them too..

cheers

@FrunkingFast I didn't observe anything that concerned me, the rims are 'early' 19 EOM - before they tweaked them for performance winter use *i think*

I think you were referring to this, for the Performance cars w/OEM big brakes

"NOTE: The P3D is known to have an extremely thin rotor hat. Our rotor is approximately 4mm thicker than the OEM rotor, so this will move your wheel outwards by 4mm. Using this rotor also removes the issue of the hub “step” that is often an issue for aftermarket wheel fitment!"

My car is essentially the AWD w/software unlock (and maybe somebody tested the motors more ..)

Rotors are supposed to be lighter. Did you notice any improvement in range?

Not yet, no big trips. Once I had an Audi A4 that I put Audi A8 front rotors on and they were heavier and you could feel it.. I *think* I may feel a difference here but it's 4lbs a wheel so maybe not..

Rear rotors arrived today, hopefully a weekend install coming depending on how cold and stormer it ends up around here..

Reactions: MountainPass
Car still filthy (rain everywhere :) )

But rear rotors on - don't forget to put the car in tow mode before you disconnect the parking brake power line.. not a biggie but a time waste when you forget

The MPP site has a picture compressing in the rear caliper piston with tried and true clamp and such but I happen to have real brake tools :) Either works of course..

My tools, there's only a zillion brands

brakeTools.png

Towing mode retracts the piston almost all the way needed, needs a tad more and to have piston lined up so the pip on the brake pad slide into the slot on the piston (yes the paint job didn't get the way back of the caliper but it works for me...

brakeToolInAction.jpeg

old vs new - reused the set screw on the new one fwiw

oemVsNew.jpeg

dirty car, cool rotors

rear2.jpeg

closeup

rear.jpeg

Also put in 2 missing liner plastic pins... my car feels better just knowing I did that..

From MPP site, fronts:
  • Lightweight, 3.41lbs lighter each
Rear doesn't have as much detail
  • Significant weight reduction from the factory rotors.
So no I didn't weigh them myself.. Carrying the boxes with old vs new, you can tell there is a difference but w/o MPP to confirm I couldn't say how much in back
I will update the website!

MPP Rear Rotor: 13.09lb

OEM Rear Rotor: 16.88lb