Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Lift Kit Install Instructions, Range Discussion & Driving Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here, mpp lift kit and adjustable camber arms. same shop as mentioned earlier in the thread (Kirkland tire pros). Toe arms was not recommended by them. They also did alignment. I Kept default wheels and tires for now until I have more free time, but definitely would like more sidewall. Will go up into the cascades this week we’ll see how it goes- I have 1.5 h of driving on rutted and pitted roads and a small river fording to ahead.
Im so excited to hear that I don't HAVE to live with the low clearance for the Y. Live in the boonies and paraglide, so on crappy roads alot. Just assumed I would have to keep the 4runner to deal with rutted launch roads. I'd love to see side view of what you've done and hear maybe a range for the cost?

I'm in Washington state too. One of the first mods I'm considering is the MPP lift and camber arms. To the other Washington state MYLR owners, where did you do your install and what do you think of the change? I do a lot of camping in the summers, mostly on DNR land, so no real aggressive off roading, but enough dust and dirt to think I need a little more lift. I'm also interested in wheel and tire setups. Anyone have specifics there?

Reactions: PNWLeccy
I'm in Washington state too. One of the first mods I'm considering is the MPP lift and camber arms. To the other Washington state MYLR owners, where did you do your install and what do you think of the change? I do a lot of camping in the summers, mostly on DNR land, so no real aggressive off roading, but enough dust and dirt to think I need a little more lift. I'm also interested in wheel and tire setups. Anyone have specifics there?
similar stuff here. Some dirt road and mud in the farm, and spent more than 10 hours on bad service roads and fording rivers this summer to get to remote trails. Would have not attempted without the lift and now I feel ok not using our old trusty crv anymore.

I did the swap with Aaron from Kirkland Tire Pros. 10/10. They know Tesla cars and you don’t have to be explaining the basics (lift pucks! Etc)

I am very happy with the lift kit - no noticeable change in range but I’m not one to do scientific tests, others do that pretty well on this forum.

I will eventually change the tire/wheel too. When I get some time to. Following the ancestral wisdom in this thread, I’ll probably swap in our Model 3 18” aero wheels onto the MY, put bigger tires for more sidewalks; and put the Gemini on the M3. Other folks like getting custom wheels, I get a sense of coziness choosing a wheel that Tesla provides and has the right specs (including gvwr according to other threads). Can share some numbers when I get onto a better device.

Grateful to @Tipk99 above in the thread for pathfinding for all of us.

Reactions: bolo1g2 and paramer
similar stuff here. Some dirt road and mud in the farm, and spent more than 10 hours on bad service roads and fording rivers this summer to get to remote trails. Would have not attempted without the lift and now I feel ok not using our old trusty crv anymore.

I did the swap with Aaron from Kirkland Tire Pros. 10/10. They know Tesla cars and you don’t have to be explaining the basics (lift pucks! Etc)

I am very happy with the lift kit - no noticeable change in range but I’m not one to do scientific tests, others do that pretty well on this forum.

I will eventually change the tire/wheel too. When I get some time to. Following the ancestral wisdom in this thread, I’ll probably swap in our Model 3 18” aero wheels onto the MY, put bigger tires for more sidewalks; and put the Gemini on the M3. Other folks like getting custom wheels, I get a sense of coziness choosing a wheel that Tesla provides and has the right specs (including gvwr according to other threads). Can share some numbers when I get onto a better device.

Grateful to @Tipk99 above in the thread for pathfinding for all of us.
Thanks for the info. How much clearance do you have now?

Here's a summary of things I know for the interested folks, (YMMV, caveat emptor, this is not advice, disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer.)

Model Y default all season Gemini Wheels:
19x8.5 +45mm (5x114.3) , Tires: 255/45 R19

Biggest size to be shown in this forum to work with MPP Lift Kit from @Tipk99 with Black Rhino Mozambique wheels:
18x8.5 +35mm, Tires 245/60 R18. (Compare with gemini default)
- Used with winter tires: Conti Vikingcontact 7s

This is similar to M3 Aero 18s , so a similar setup to use with the with MPP Lift Kit but aeros instead of custom:
18x8.5 +40mm, Tires 245/60 R18 wheels: (Compare with gemini default)
(Haven't tried myself. Fits well for MYAWD according to many videos online, MYP needs more work but lol idc)
  • FAQ re. wheel weight ratings of Aeros: (Source thread) and fantastic work (charts! data!) by @Zoomit
    • Aeros 18 before 2020 ish have 700kg which is IMO ok for all but the most extreme Model Y loads, and before considering safety margins. It shows on the back of the wheel (See post with pic by @RoBoRaT )
    • Aeros 18 after 2021 have 750kg which covers all the Model Y weight distributions possible within the 5302 GVWR envelope.
Finally, for the folks that have the oppty to swap the Geminis 19 and the M3 Aero 18 wheels (not with tires!), here are the tires you'd put on a Gemini 19 to fit well on a M3 AWD:
- For Model 3, putting on Gemini 19: Tire 235/40 R19

You'll need the right BLE TPMS for MY

And... for the accessory crazed who has issues with the stock aero covers or cover-less looks, here's yet another thing you can throw your money at: Orbital 18" covers (which was bootstrapped in kickstarter)

(will post pics separately, attachments glitching out)

MPP Lift Kit Installed
Front:
1629832726120.jpeg

and back w adjustable camber arms: Stuff is covered with fine dirt, it is not paint peeling off!
1629832849044.jpeg

I also got the MPP front skid plate because I have hit boulders crossing rivers before and sounded cool

Thanks to @MountainPass - great product (so far 😬),pros and super prompt communication.

Reactions: MountainPass
MPP Lift Kit Installed
Front:
View attachment 700902

and back w adjustable camber arms: Stuff is covered with fine dirt, it is not paint peeling off!
View attachment 700903

I also got the MPP front skid plate because I have hit boulders crossing rivers before and sounded cool

Thanks to @MountainPass - great product (so far 😬),pros and super prompt communication.
Looks like you're also located in Seattle- how's the ride quality with the lift kit on these horrible patched and pothole'd roads? Any real difference?

Looks like you're also located in Seattle- how's the ride quality with the lift kit on these horrible patched and pothole'd roads? Any real difference?

Note: I did not install coilovers or new shocks - just the lift kit and camber arms. Your shocks, wheels and tires remain the same.Driving over a "lightly serrated" street for example (eg parts of I5 going north where the trucks have broken the pavement in this wavelet pattern) will feel the same even if the car floor is set up higher.

The car is noticeably higher. In everyday driving I have less anxiety approaching odd driveways or curbs or humps with large attack angles. The car is higher but feels as solid, responsive, etc as always in a good way (I drive in Sport steering, standard acceleration (no Accel Boost)). There is one pothole on 405N HOV that autopilot will hit reliably and reproducibly and it causes me curse the same I did before. #science.

Driving in super bad quality service roads (where 15 mph is too fast) I never hit the suspension "cap" (a lift kit does not increase suspension travel)

@MountainPass and others can comment about the Comfort Adjustable Coilovers in conjunction w the kit.

TL;DR: would recommend to a friend if they have the need and $

Reactions: carlrbrugger
Note: I did not install coilovers or new shocks - just the lift kit and camber arms. Your shocks, wheels and tires remain the same.Driving over a "lightly serrated" street for example (eg parts of I5 going north where the trucks have broken the pavement in this wavelet pattern) will feel the same even if the car floor is set up higher.

The car is noticeably higher. In everyday driving I have less anxiety approaching odd driveways or curbs or humps with large attack angles. The car is higher but feels as solid, responsive, etc as always in a good way (I drive in Sport steering, standard acceleration (no Accel Boost)). There is one pothole on 405N HOV that autopilot will hit reliably and reproducibly and it causes me curse the same I did before. #science.

Driving in super bad quality service roads (where 15 mph is too fast) I never hit the suspension "cap" (a lift kit does not increase suspension travel)

@MountainPass and others can comment about the Comfort Adjustable Coilovers in conjunction w the kit.

TL;DR: would recommend to a friend if they have the need and $
Thanks for the review. I understand the difference between the lift kit spacer vs a coilover setup with increased suspension travel and have been trying to decide which to get. I know that I need/want the increased ground clearance for skiing and driving up forest roads which both can achieve. I was also looking at this UPP option Dirt And Snow Coilover Kit For Tesla Model Y but haven't seen any reviews yet.

I'd like to improve the ride quality if possible as my current Model 3 is a bit harsh on these crappy roads.

Thanks for the review. I understand the difference between the lift kit spacer vs a coilover setup with increased suspension travel and have been trying to decide which to get. I know that I need/want the increased ground clearance for skiing and driving up forest roads which both can achieve. I was also looking at this UPP option Dirt And Snow Coilover Kit For Tesla Model Y but haven't seen any reviews yet.

I'd like to improve the ride quality if possible as my current Model 3 is a bit harsh on these crappy roads.
The UPP one is unlikely (IMO) to be available before end of year., and I'm sure it will be good, at a different price tier. Source: I had originally placed a preorder, but they can speak for themselves.

With the Model Y, the lift kit was awesome and I wouldn't hesitate to go in the snow. Tires with more sidewall are possible in the Y going from 19 to 18. - not sure about the 3. If you have 19 going to 18 may be an improvement.

Having driven the Y around with the MPP kit I really just want a _a lot_ more sidewall and _tad_ more height. Achieving the height only with a taller suspension wouldn't cut it for me, as the speed limiter / concern for me now is hitting sharp angled rocks and potholes with such a low profile, less about bottoming out. With the 18 and 245/60 one goes from 115 mm to 157mm sidewall - a 30% improvement. I'm sure impact is non-linear.

Last edited:
The UPP one is unlikely (IMO) to be available before end of year., and I'm sure it will be good, at a different price tier. Source: I had originally placed a preorder, but they can speak for themselves.
I saw when UPP first posted about this suspension almost a year ago on Instagram but it was only available for preorder. When I checked back periodically, it was always unavailable. I assumed it had been delayed and/or never actually released. However, I recently so a post from an installer on FB who had installed this kit recently. It was the first time I had seen a report of this kit installed on a non-UPP car.

Did you cancel your preorder due to the long delays? I was waiting to see reviews before I considered ordering.

The lift kit is definitely a nice option at 1/5 the price but having some adjustability and better ride quality would be awesome.

I saw when UPP first posted about this suspension almost a year ago on Instagram but it was only available for preorder. When I checked back periodically, it was always unavailable. I assumed it had been delayed and/or never actually released. However, I recently so a post from an installer on FB who had installed this kit recently. It was the first time I had seen a report of this kit installed on a non-UPP car.

Did you cancel your preorder due to the long delays? I was waiting to see reviews before I considered ordering.

The lift kit is definitely a nice option at 1/5 the price but having some adjustability and better ride quality would be awesome.
(kept it for now fwiw)

For myself, the lifting (via blocks or shocks) is a worthwhile first step and good enough for some, but most roi from there for the rugged rides I have is improving the sidewall of tires, not more travel.
I find that model Y ride comfort at 40psi is just fine, maybe I have low standards :)

both solutions requires adjustable camber arms (400) and labor (ymmv approx 600 to 900 inc alignment)

also I don’t care much about looks, but raising model Y even further and keeping the default wheels and tires makes it a bit funky IMO, like it’s on stilts. Here it is with just the MPP lift kit
1629914695340.jpeg

(kept it for now fwiw)

For myself, the lifting (via blocks or shocks) is a worthwhile first step and good enough for some, but most roi from there for the rugged rides I have is improving the sidewall of tires, not more travel.
I find that model Y ride comfort at 40psi is just fine, maybe I have low standards :)

both solutions requires adjustable camber arms (400) and labor (ymmv approx 600 to 900 inc alignment)

also I don’t care much about looks, but raising model Y even further and keeping the default wheels and tires makes it a bit funky IMO, like it’s on stilts. Here it is with just the MPP lift kit View attachment 701240
Yea, I don't have a ton of knowledge of different suspension setups but my Model 3 feels it is always hitting the bump stops on the roads I drive on. The Model Y seemed to have the same issue so I figure increased suspension travel would help alleviate that feeling.

I've seen some people mention adding adjustable camber arms but enough people skip them that I did not think they were necessary. Could you explain why you decided to get them?

Like you, I am most concerned with functionality, but I agree that the wheels look small inside the wheel wells even without the lift. The annoying thing is that the knuckle prevents you from adding bigger tires without adding a spacer which I'm not willing to do. I also am a little worried about messing with the efficiency/distance calculations if you add a larger diameter wheel/tire combo.

Yea, I don't have a ton of knowledge of different suspension setups but my Model 3 feels it is always hitting the bump stops on the roads I drive on. The Model Y seemed to have the same issue so I figure increased suspension travel would help alleviate that feeling.

I've seen some people mention adding adjustable camber arms but enough people skip them that I did not think they were necessary. Could you explain why you decided to get them?

Like you, I am most concerned with functionality, but I agree that the wheels look small inside the wheel wells even without the lift. The annoying thing is that the knuckle prevents you from adding bigger tires without adding a spacer which I'm not willing to do. I also am a little worried about messing with the efficiency/distance calculations if you add a larger diameter wheel/tire combo.
I had similar concerns
1) Fixing camber via adjustable camber arms was reco'd to me by 3 folks (and not all of them make more money by doing so ;) ) - a car wonk friend, MPP itself, and the suspension+tire shop. Once I took a minute to understand the topic and geometry involved it seemed a no-brainer. My noob interpretation was that having too much camber would reduce rear traction significantly in turning maneuvers (e.g. tight turns emergency swerve); and would make a weird wear pattern in everyday driving. I also trust Tesla's defaults to contain some goodness for the special weight and power of the car. MPP and others can comment more expertly so please correct me.

2) Bigger tires do fit without spacers under the knuckle, as @Tipk99 and others in the thread have shown. See this link (orange=now, green=new) for his setup and pics of the blue MY above. I'm going for that size too. Unlike online influencers he's been transparent about sizes, lack of rubbing etc. TMC keeps folks honest ;). Also, these larger setups have been installed by the same folks that put in the MPP kit in my car. They know what they're talking about and have already done some "experimentation" in the past to empirically find what works.

3) Being an engineer I also fretted about the efficiency and distance calculations a bit. You can tweak tire sizes in the tool above and see the % off. I decided to take the utilitarian view and plan to enjoy the car more, versus less with more precise data. There's only one trip in many years of driving tesla , in colorado, in a snowstorm, in a 240mi MX 75, where I needed more than 5% precision for more than academic purposes. I find most relevant uses of wh/mi numbers are relative to one's own car. This is one area where all i can offer is speculation but @Tipk99 and others can offer direct experiences.

I wasn't aware that anyone is keeping tire sizes a secret, but at least I can share with you what we run on our Model Y during the winter:

We are running 19x8.5+38 with 245/55R19 tires. This is the absolute tallest tire you can use as it can just barely touch the wheel well at full steering lock. Pay attention to the overall diameter when selecting tires for your Performance, it is the main restriction! These are 29.6" tall.

1629918567118.png

If you want the exact wheels: Tire Rack Link