Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Lift Kit Install Instructions, Range Discussion & Driving Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn't aware that anyone is keeping tire sizes a secret, but at least I can share with you what we run on our Model Y during the winter:

We are running 19x8.5+38 with 245/55R19 tires.
I wonder if @Tipk99 got away with 245/60 R19 because his offset was +35. when it's down to the last millimeter it could be tire shape, inflation, the phase of the moon, etc

I wasn't aware that anyone is keeping tire sizes a secret, but at least I can share with you what we run on our Model Y during the winter:

We are running 19x8.5+38 with 245/55R19 tires. This is the absolute tallest tire you can use as it can just barely touch the wheel well at full steering lock. Pay attention to the overall diameter when selecting tires for your Performance, it is the main restriction! These are 29.6" tall.

View attachment 701262

If you want the exact wheels: Tire Rack Link
This is a beauty, one question:
What pressure would you have the tires at in an assumed "everyday driving"? Is it much lower than the norminal 42psi (which many adjust to 40 for comfort on the default 19" tires?). Asking if it goes below the TPMS 'nag' line.

This is a beauty, one question:
What pressure would you have the tires at in an assumed "everyday driving"? Is it much lower than the norminal 42psi (which many adjust to 40 for comfort on the default 19" tires?). Asking if it goes below the TPMS 'nag' line.
We tend to run higher than "normal Tesla pressures" because for some reason we are obsessed with getting the best efficiency possible. This isn't for everyone because the ride gets harsh when you get close to 50psi!

We are running 19x8.5+38 with 245/55R19 tires. This is the absolute tallest tire you can use as it can just barely touch the wheel well at full steering lock. Pay attention to the overall diameter when selecting tires for your Performance, it is the main restriction! These are 29.6" tall.

View attachment 701262

does this mess with the speedometer or are you keeping the original tire OD?

does this mess with the speedometer or are you keeping the original tire OD?
This tire size would change the speedometer reading, see below, but it's about 5 mph at highway speeds.
I'm planning on using my old Model 3 wheels with 245/60R18's which will be a similar diameter to the 19's that MPP is using. I've done a bit of research on the subject and the change in speedometer will, unfortunately, not be the only change. Because the overall diameter is larger, the car will not think that it went as far as it actually does. With the larger size tires, every 100 miles traveled the car will think it's only traveled about 94.6 miles. This will affect the overall odometer reading and Wh/mi calculations that many of us give too much attention. So in Wh/mi, I'm expecting the following: On a 100 mile trip where I would normally average about 250 wh/mi the car would now report about 264 Wh/mi.

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 9.33.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 9.33.56 AM.png

View attachment 701262

Why did you select the wheel size you selected? Any advantage to the width or offset versus matching the OEM sizes? I am looking to do a similar build with your lift.

This tire size would change the speedometer reading, see below, but it's about 5 mph at highway speeds.
I'm planning on using my old Model 3 wheels with 245/60R18's which will be a similar diameter to the 19's that MPP is using. I've done a bit of research on the subject and the change in speedometer will, unfortunately, not be the only change. Because the overall diameter is larger, the car will not think that it went as far as it actually does. With the larger size tires, every 100 miles traveled the car will think it's only traveled about 94.6 miles. This will affect the overall odometer reading and Wh/mi calculations that many of us give too much attention. So in Wh/mi, I'm expecting the following: On a 100 mile trip where I would normally average about 250 wh/mi the car would now report about 264 Wh/mi.

View attachment 717701
View attachment 717702
i wish tesla would give an 18" wheel option on the Y.. i dont have a spare set of model 3 wheels around haha...

i was thinking of doing the 235/55 r18 like some others have done on this forum which supposedly give even better wh/mi with the skinnier tire not to mention probably better in the snow around here

Why did you select the wheel size you selected? Any advantage to the width or offset versus matching the OEM sizes? I am looking to do a similar build with your lift.
At least for me, I wanted something that 1) fit the car (thus 18 or larger) would max the sidewall (thus small as possible wheel: 18, and maximize radius of tire) while preventing any mechanical problems (rubbing, bad camber, etc), while using the MPP lift kit.

Wh/mi readings offsets for me were a known tradeoff. too soon to tell but on a recent 250 mile mountain trip I got pretty much the same efficiency as before, and the battery estimates etc were right on spot (it said at the start of the trip we’d get home with 8%, got there with 7%)
I did not consider aesthetics of further poke/ smaller offset.
Unsprung weight had to be equal or better.
Tire had to be slightly wider than wheel to protect from curb rash.(this came down to the specific model of tire)
Width had to be almost same preferably wider.

The 245/60 18 was the outcome of a local tire shop that had a customer that basically told them to keep trying all things possible to increase lift, diameter and geometry on his/her dime.
Fortunately I did not have to pay for that exploration myself.
I did consider using the 18 Aeros from our 3 but all the swapping was going to be more costly in the end.

Reactions: bolo1g2
At least for me, I wanted something that 1) fit the car (thus 18 or larger) would max the sidewall (thus small as possible wheel: 18, and maximize radius of tire) while preventing any mechanical problems (rubbing, bad camber, etc), while using the MPP lift kit.

Wh/mi readings offsets for me were a known tradeoff. too soon to tell but on a recent 250 mile mountain trip I got pretty much the same efficiency as before, and the battery estimates etc were right on spot (it said at the start of the trip we’d get home with 8%, got there with 7%)
I did not consider aesthetics of further poke/ smaller offset.
Unsprung weight had to be equal or better.
Tire had to be slightly wider than wheel to protect from curb rash.(this came down to the specific model of tire)
Width had to be almost same preferably wider.

The 245/60 18 was the outcome of a local tire shop that had a customer that basically told them to keep trying all things possible to increase lift, diameter and geometry on his/her dime.
Fortunately I did not have to pay for that exploration myself.
I did consider using the 18 Aeros from our 3 but all the swapping was going to be more costly in the end.
I might have missed it somewhere in here, but did you have to buy tpms? If so , did you get them from Tesla?

I might have missed it somewhere in here, but did you have to buy tpms? If so , did you get them from Tesla?
Yes do you need TPMS and yes you need to order it from Tesla because Model Y uses a special Bluetooth protocol (cant recall whether it is proprietary or just uncommon). I took mine from the previous wheel because 2021 supply chain.

• Helpful
Reactions: paramer
I am assuming the 750kg rating on 2021 AeroV2s is not enough for the 7pass TMY's with Tow Package with a GVWR of 5712 lb? Does anyone know what the minimum load rating for wheels is necessary for the 5712 GVWR?
Yes there is a great thread (thought I linked it) with detailed analysis of load per axle and the envelope it covers. There were nice load graphs and I learned a lot about stuff that as an engineer I appreciate but never cared much about in the past because I’ve never cared to mod cars wheels etc before TBH.

Yes there is a great thread (thought I linked it) with detailed analysis of load per axle and the envelope it covers. There were nice load graphs and I learned a lot about stuff that as an engineer I appreciate but never cared much about in the past because I’ve never cared to mod cars wheels etc before TBH.
I did see the link which sent me down my own little rabbit hole. This is what I gathered:
255/45R19 104XL on 19x9.5ET45 840kg/1850# Load Rating has the highest Load Capacity.
255/40R20 101XL on 20x9.5ET45 750kg/1650# Load Rating has the lowest Load Capacity.
275/35R21 103XL (rears) on 20x10.5ET48 840kg/1850# Load Rating has the Load Capacity reduced solely due to the lower Load Capacity of the tires.

I highlighted the text in orange that I have not found to be confirmed, just educated estimates which seem accurate. Is any of the above an inaccurate summary?

SnipIts from the Owners Manual below for some relevant data:

1634738279903.png

1634738805431.png

That makes me think about @Tipk99's 245/60R18 109XL (29.6") on Black Rhino Mozamibuqe in 18x8.5 ET35 1020kg/2250# Load Rating at 25 pounds wheel weight (not bad) that may have inadvertently also helped resolve the 2 limiting factors on the Load Capacity issues on the Wheel/Tire combo that plays a factor on the Model Y's Factory Wheel/Tire options.

Reactions: EchoDelta
I did see the link which sent me down my own little rabbit hole. This is what I gathered:
255/45R19 104XL on 19x9.5ET45 840kg/1850# Load Rating has the highest Load Capacity.
255/40R20 101XL on 20x9.5ET45 750kg/1650# Load Rating has the lowest Load Capacity.
275/35R21 103XL (rears) on 20x10.5ET48 840kg/1850# Load Rating has the Load Capacity reduced solely due to the lower Load Capacity of the tires.

I highlighted the text in orange that I have not found to be confirmed, just educated estimates which seem accurate. Is any of the above an inaccurate summary?

SnipIts from the Owners Manual below for some relevant data:

View attachment 723568
View attachment 723570

That makes me think about @Tipk99's 245/60R18 109XL (29.6") on Black Rhino Mozamibuqe in 18x8.5 ET35 1020kg/2250# Load Rating at 25 pounds wheel weight (not bad) that may have inadvertently also helped resolve the 2 limiting factors on the Load Capacity issues on the Wheel/Tire combo that plays a factor on the Model Y's Factory Wheel/Tire options.
I also swapped in the Black Rhino Mozs.

Other options remaining after discarding dozens were TsW Ascent, Bardo , Bristol , fifteen52 tarmac , and Black Rhino Morocco and Kruger (ymmv, these may have characteristics that don’t make them suitable) . Between the 5x114.3 , 18x8.5, offset, weight rating, weight and build, trustworthy brand, and avoiding odd aesthetics it felt like looking for needles in a haystack. I also went down a little hole 🙈

FWIW, after chatting with the shop that made @Tipk99 setup, I’d give some credit and I wouldn’t necessarily call it “inadvertently” or “coincidentally”. They were very conversant in the weight and load factors of the Y. At least they sounded like that to me! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Attachments

• AC0F8744-489E-4576-A648-1069C715A29E.jpeg
    AC0F8744-489E-4576-A648-1069C715A29E.jpeg
    641 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
I also swapped in the Black Rhino Mozs.

Other options remaining after discarding dozens were TsW Ascent, Bardo , Bristol , fifteen52 tarmac , and Black Rhino Morocco and Kruger (ymmv, these may have characteristics that don’t make them suitable) . Between the 5x114.3 , 18x8.5, offset, weight rating, weight and build, trustworthy brand, and avoiding odd aesthetics it felt like looking for needles in a haystack. I also went down a little hole 🙈

FWIW, after chatting with the shop that made @Tipk99 setup, I’d give some credit and I wouldn’t necessarily call it “inadvertently” or “coincidentally”. They were very conversant in the weight and load factors of the Y. At least they sounded like that to me! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Did you also go with 245/60R18s (29.6") or 235/65R18s (30"). I've seen some claim that 235/65R18s are fine because the narrower tire clears the upper knuckle. better. I really would love the 235/65R18s but I am curious where they might rub.

Did you also go with 245/60R18s (29.6") or 235/65R18s (30"). I've seen some claim that 235/65R18s are fine because the narrower tire clears the upper knuckle. better. I really would love the 235/65R18s but I am curious where they might rub.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I went for the 245/60
Narrower and risk rubs to get an extra cm clearance? Meh. But I’m a utilitarian and short of extra time- if minmaxing is your thing go for it! Enjoy the journey-