Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor MPP Model 3 Build Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To save time for others: I went to the MPP website and they have a password protected item called a party box (no relation to F1 party mode I’m sure ;). It’s for RWD only and it looks like a device that plugs into various connectors in a model 3. I will go out on a limb and guess it is their highly anticipated traction control and stability control system.

I want to be first on the list to purchase one used when someone want to sell it. (I claim to be frugal, not cheap).

For now. They are still developing/testing the AWD/P-AWD variants.
My frown continues, unabated! I want my bean feast, I want it now! --stomps foot-- The sale price is pretty close to my hoped for range, and there it is within sight. ;)

Of course working out and verifying on dual motors is a tougher job to get right. And I'll get over it, if I don't miss the sale price. Just had expected they'd have it sorted during the time it was taking to work out the parts sourcing. In hindsight though I guess they can't get much track time in right now. :oops:

If the extra development time ended up including how to coax the supercan to preemptively cool the drivetrain that would definitely turn my frown upside down! :D That doesn't seem to be something that the RWD particularly needs. The P+ neither. But between those it has more use.

Well yesterday was the day. We were one of the first to receive an M3 at the International Centre in Toronto - yesterday was the first day of deliveries there! There have been a few delivered at normal service centers, but the big push is happening now over the next month or so.

View attachment 305365

The car is incredible. The build quality has improved so much compared to the early test car we had in California. The main difference I noticed was the interior noise. We removed a number of panels to add our Motec datalogger and there is insulation all over the place that was not there on the early build cars. It really feels like a BMW/Audi inside now.

View attachment 305362

Yesterday we took the car straight from the delivery centre to the dyno, and ran the motor at 80% SOC. We tried a few tricks to get it to run on the dyno, but ultimately it was unplugging a front wheel speed sensor that allowed it to work. Here's a link to the entire delivery experience and dyno from yesterday:

View attachment 305364

And here is the dyno graph. Not enough torque to max out our dyno like Blue Lightning :) A decent bit of power for such a sedan for sure. Far more power than it is rated at!

View attachment 305361

And then today we installed our Motec M150 data analysis system and performed a number of baseline efficiency tests, put the car on the scales and we also charged it up to 100% and did some 0-60 acceleration tests. I'll post more detailed results shortly but here are the numbers of interest:

Weight: 3800lbs
0-60: 5.03 seconds with 12" rollout (it sounds like the power has been reduced from earlier firmware versions)

And then we installed our coilovers! I'm off to be a design judge at a FSAE (Formula SAE, these are university built racecars) competition tomorrow, where I'll be judging the electric builds. There were some really impressive builds last year and I'm interested to see what these bright minds have come up with this year.

Sunday we'll be flushing the brake fluid with some racing fluid, corner balancing and fine tuning the ride height, aligning the car and installing some of our suspension arms.

The Advan wheels are on the way and are looking like a Monday delivery, tires are ordered, the first production big brake upgrade components will hopefully arrive on Wednesday and the GridLife entry has been confirmed! We leave on Thursday for Michigan with both cars.

View attachment 305363
So... you plan on doing another dyno run after the 5% power bump we are supposed to get?
Kind of an awesome company that can just push a software update and BAM your car now stops better and BAM your car is now faster

Reactions: dgaultiere
This is all I could find from the Tesla site

"We’re also excited to announce that we’re implementing a number of firmware upgrades for both new and existing customers. These upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles, increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles".

@MP3Mike must be referring to a tweet or some other news I am not aware of on the timing of the release.