Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor MPP Model 3 Build Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those will stick out quite a bit in front. Might want to try +35. There is enough clearance for +35 in that size.
My choices were +20, +30, or +40, we'll see if it works. I'll post pics when installed, so far at 19x9 +30 it looks like I have some room to work with.
There is enough clearance for +40 (the stock offset) in that size too. 9.5" +39mm already sticks out a bit:
IMG_2414.jpg

Do your Coilovers have the ability to raise the vehicle at all? I'm starting to like the idea of a Rally model 3. I'd imagine camber would have to be corrected as well unless stock setup has this much adjustment capability.

Safari Model 3! Could be pretty badass. How tough is that under tray? Do the batteries have any cushioning or isolation? From what I've seen no. Just spitballing.

Do your Coilovers have the ability to raise the vehicle at all? I'm starting to like the idea of a Rally model 3. I'd imagine camber would have to be corrected as well unless stock setup has this much adjustment capability.

Safari Model 3! Could be pretty badass. How tough is that under tray? Do the batteries have any cushioning or isolation? From what I've seen no. Just spitballing.

The coilovers - no. Custom lift kit's we have made? Yes! The undertray is tough but I wouldn't go trying to 50/50 grind a highway divider like a skateboarder!

20180914_105801-1024x576.jpg

Reactions: Carrera and Dave EV
That orientation is pretty common actually. My old Subaru used a very similar looking bushing. A bushing orientated that way resists forces on the wheel in the front to back direction of the car and it's very capable of flexing as the member moves up and down through the suspension travel.

A bushing orientated that way resists forces on the wheel in the front to back direction of the car

I think it actually does the opposite, it is free to rotate about the vertical axis which means it likely doesn't see much load during acceleration or braking. It definitely might flex/rotate enough, but it still seems odd and i'm wondering why they chose this design in the first place. Where's Mike Kojima when you need him...

I think we might be mis-understanding each other. I tried to draw in paint (Very poorly) what I was tying to say.

The red arrow represents a force such as braking or acceleration (forward or backwards). That force results in a torque on the front member. The rear member only exists to counteract that. that bushing would be experiencing forces along the arrow I drew.

I also think their choice might also be due to their other choice of using multiple ball joints, which I didn't think was very common. I wonder what the advantage in that is.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-10_12-19-16.png
    upload_2018-12-10_12-19-16.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: kbecks13
The red arrow represents a force such as braking or acceleration (forward or backwards). That force results in a torque on the front member. The rear member only exists to counteract that. that bushing would be experiencing forces along the arrow I drew.

Hmm i see it this way - the red arrow would be a force from braking acting on the wheel and then the forward arm (the straight one) would see a rotational moment and the back arm (the curved one) would see a compression force, but NO moment since it rotates in the same plane as the braking load I think we're saying the same thing haha?

Either way, i dont see why they chose this over the more traditional style.

upload_2018-12-10_14-8-8.png

Alright answered my own questions with some reading and here to get this back on topic!

Seems this suspension design is fairly common and in fact is used on the 350z, which i think @MountainPass knows a little about since they have one of those too.

Sounds like we are likely to have problems with the compression arm bushing (#1 in pic above) prematurely wearing if we lower the car and i'm curious if anyone's talked to someone like SPL for a better bushing. Same thing for the bushings in the transverse link (#2) where it attaches to frame and coilover.

Also it sounds like you could make a nice upper control arm with adjustable camber and caster if we really wanted to get fancy ;)

Alright answered my own questions with some reading and here to get this back on topic!

Seems this suspension design is fairly common and in fact is used on the 350z, which i think @MountainPass knows a little about since they have one of those too.

Sounds like we are likely to have problems with the compression arm bushing (#1 in pic above) prematurely wearing if we lower the car and i'm curious if anyone's talked to someone like SPL for a better bushing. Same thing for the bushings in the transverse link (#2) where it attaches to frame and coilover.

Also it sounds like you could make a nice upper control arm with adjustable camber and caster if we really wanted to get fancy ;)

That is a very common wear item on most cars, usually requiring the replacement of the entire arm. I have used polyurethane replacements for that bushing before, but was unhappy with the associated NVH. On our Z we have a solid metal version, something like a rod end. This would wear out very quickly if it was used on the road, as it is completely open to dirt, sand and salt. We would love to replace that bushing but the options are certainly limited. Sasha has strongly expressed that he will not use polyurethane bushings anywhere on the car when I have suggested it!

We really like the composite upper control arm, and all the times I have aligned cars with adjustable upper control arms it was a pain in the butt!

Reactions: kbecks13