Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just when I was going to order MPP coilovers I noticed the price increased on the entire coilover line. Anyone know if they run deals during the holidays? I may just wait...Don't get me wrong the MPP is a quality product but knowing it was 100-150 less just a few days ago is kinda swaying my decision to adjustable FXP line from redwood when compared to non adjustable comforts from MPP.

Yeah, we hate to do it :(

Unfortunately, our pricing went up significantly on the coilovers, and we have no choice but to increase the prices. Some kits went up more than others as well, so it's not totally linear.

On the parts which we machine in-house, we've been able to keep the prices almost entirely unchanged even through the ridiculous inflation that has occurred over the last few years, eating the increased cost of aluminum. We're trying our best to not increase prices, especially as the economy is finally cooling off a little bit.

As far as sales, we don't have anything planned at the moment, but historically we've had sales only on Black Friday, and rarely around tax return season. And as you'll keenly observe, It is currently tax return season! However, we don't have any sales planned at the moment, so I can't promise one way or another if we'll have one.

We use a lot of metal (of various grades) in my company. And, I mean a lot… millions of tons annually if you can believe it. So, I completely understand the need to adjust prices in this market. You still have my full support.

Of course, I would also not be upset if you decide to have a tax season sale soon. I’m in the market for a set of adjustable front control arms to address the excessive negative camber that resulted from installing your comfort adjustable coilovers... which I love by the way. The inside corners of my front tires are wearing out quick!! 🙃 😁

We use a lot of metal (of various grades) in my company. And, I mean a lot… millions of tons annually if you can believe it. So, I completely understand the need to adjust prices in this market. You still have my full support.

Of course, I would also not be upset if you decide to have a tax season sale soon. I’m in the market for a set of adjustable front control arms to address the excessive negative camber that resulted from installing your comfort adjustable coilovers... which I love by the way. The inside corners of my front tires are wearing out quick!! 🙃 😁
You don't have excessive camber. You have a toe issue. The alignment you got after the install caused it.

You don't have excessive camber. You have a toe issue. The alignment you got after the install caused it.
I don’t think so. If I recall correctly, my front toe was close to neutral the last time my vehicle was in the alignment shop.
So, pretty sure my problem is excessive negative camber. Of course, I’m no suspension expert, so am open to other possibilities…

A general question for suspension/alignment gurus: When toe is neutral and your front tires show accelerated wear on the inside corners, does this 100% mean you have too much negative camber?

Below are some photos of my front tire. In the first photo, the right side is the inside surface.
Last two photos show the inside and outside corners, respectively, so you can see the difference in wear…

And, apologies in advance for sort of hijacking this thread with my alignment problem.

IMG_6872.jpeg

IMG_6873.jpeg

IMG_6874.jpeg

Last edited:
The amount of camber increase from just lowering your car is not much. I'd bet your between 1-1.5 deg. And ideally, you should have about .05 deg toe in. Any amount of toe out will accellerate tire wear.
There are some of us running closer to 3deg without increased tire wear.

The amount of camber increase from just lowering your car is not much. I'd bet your between 1-1.5 deg. And ideally, you should have about .05 deg toe in. Any amount of toe out will accellerate tire wear.
There are some of us running closer to 3deg without increased tire wear.
Thanks. I’m taking my vehicle to the alignment shop tomorrow to get current numbers, so I know exactly what I have and how to correctly address it. I had previously resigned myself to needing/buying adjustable control arms, but perhaps that may not be necessary. We shall see…

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
Negative camber will wear the inside of your tire more as the tire is basically slightly tilted with the top of the tire towards the inside of the car and the bottom slightly further outward. However, incorrect toe alignment would cause it to wear much faster. Your upcoming alignment will tell us what is actually going on. However, on other cars I have run more negative camber and tended to wear my tires pretty evenly because I like to push them around turns which is then harder on the outside of the tire. The amount of negative camber you are talk about is relatively minor, which is why I also suspect more is out of alignment. It is also not that uncommon, especially if your roads are maintained like the ones around me.

Thanks, Clover. And now for the moment we (OK, just I) have been waiting for… alignment readings from today.

First photo shows camber & toe for the fronts.
Second photo shows camber & toe for the rears.

Based on these numbers, does anyone still feel that adding front adjustable control arms would NOT be necessary?
The alignment shop said front control arms are definitely needed in my case. The MPP control arms I’m thinking about ordering allow up to 3 degrees of adjustment with the supplied shims. What say you, homies?!

IMG_6961.jpeg

IMG_6960.jpeg

I believe the recommended drop is 16mm. Did you go lower than that?

No, I specifically remember going with MPP’s recommended height settings. However, after the initially settling in period, I did make very slight height adjustments to a few locations, to balance everything out and get a more consistent/exact height measurement from ground to fender well, at all four locations.

I can’t figure out why there is such a big difference in camber between the left and right on the front … and of course, why the left front has such a high negative value.

You have positive camber on the front right corner while lowered? Did you hit a curb w/o knowing or something?
Can you post a pic of the front right? It should be visible with a naked eye. I suspect some BS alignment numbers.
Get a cheap toe checking kit, a simple magnetic camber gauge you can stick on your brake rotor, find a level parking spot and skip going to these shops for measurements.

And your tire wear definitely looks like toe wear. Camber wear looks like the right pic here.
Toe-and-Camber-Wear.png

You have positive camber on the front right corner while lowered? Did you hit a curb w/o knowing or something?
Can you post a pic of the front right? It should be visible with a naked eye. I suspect some BS alignment numbers.
Get a cheap toe checking kit, a simple magnetic camber gauge you can stick on your brake rotor, find a level parking spot and skip going to these shops for measurements.

And your tire wear definitely looks like toe wear. Camber wear looks like the right pic here.
Toe-and-Camber-Wear.png

Thanks for chiming in. Definitely have not run over any pot-holes or hit anything. The roads/surfaces I always drive on are pristine/smooth, and I never take any hard corners. My driving habits/style are quite conservative. Only exception is I like to do hard/fast straight line accelerations from a stop light. :cool:

Anyway, yeah, I’m starting to doubt these readings I got yesterday (& posted above). Will have to invest in some type of DIY gauge/kit and/or take my vehicle to another more experienced alignment shop…

Here is a photo of the front right tire.

IMG_6962.jpeg

Last edited:
That appears to be the left front tire though. Regardless, that doesn't look like +1.8 OR -3.3 degrees of camber. Maybe -1.5.
Also, nice garage floor coating. Any clue which one? I'm looking to redo my garage floors.

Oops. Below is a photo of the right front.
So, given all the info so far, perhaps the following is more likely:
1. I got some bad readings yesterday from the alignment shop (results posted above).
2. Most likely, it is front toe being off that has caused my excessive tire wear
3. I won’t need adjustable front control arms after all

As for my garage floors, I had the epoxy coating done professionally by Granite Garage Floors Richmond about 4 years ago. The color pattern is “Platinum Silver Metallic” flake blend (1/4” size flakes). It’s a truly gorgeous finish, especially in person.

IMG_6966.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: dsgerbc
Also sorry to hijack this thread - but (both) my front tires have also worn out in a strange way. The inside tread is totally gone, but the the outside shoulder wear indicator has yet to be activated (its still not worn in). Rear tires are all wearing evenly. I was due for a rotation currently at 47k miles (I'm aware the tires lasted there rated mileage warranty - 45k, but they still didn't wear evenly). My one concern is would a camber adjustment also be required when an alignment is done? Or would a toe adjustment be enough? I read that only toe is adjustable when doing alignments (i.e. the camber adjustment screws are more complicated to reach under the hood).

IMG_7638.jpg