Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mr Musk apparently looking into the customer service in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fully expect not to hear from them tomorrow either, so I'm going to go back. The only way to make any progress whatsoever is face-to-face at this stage. Despite honouring the offer for my trade-in made back in June, 5,000 miles and 3 months later, the value was £2000 lower than webuyanycar.com It's an amount that makes a difference, so I cancelled the Tesla trade-in and my car goes to BCA on Monday. So now I've put myself in the position of needing the bloody car, against my better judgement. I don't want to fritter the extra cash away on hire cars. :(

Reactions: Roy W.
Tesla UK has to have the worse customer service and delivery experience of Tesla worldwide.

I am on my 6th final Invoice (See screenshot). Not entirely sure about all the changes.

I have had a confirmed delivery/collection appointment for tomorrow Thursday 12th September for over a week now.

I received an email today saying my car has not arrived yet due to logistic issues.

"Just to let you know, your Model 3 has not yet arrived with us. We are still waiting on a transporter so I have chased logistics to get an ETA on when to expect it to arrive....It looks like the car is still currently at the compound waiting on a transporter to collect it and bring it to Birmingham...I appreciate your patience, I am doing everything I can to get the right information for you."

They have not cancelled my appointment tomorrow yet but it feels like they are winging up to do so.

I paid £1000 for an advanced reservation in April 2016
I paid £2000 deposit for my order on 7th May 2019
I paid £8000 deposit for the PCP finance to enable me to collect
I have sold my current car and need to relinquish it this Friday (which hasn't been a straightforward process)
I have booked and paid for my train to Birmingham
I have taken the day off work
I am away next week on business
I am now in limbo

I am going to Birmingham tomorrow morning anyway, nothing better to do now. Certainly not going to mope around at home wondering what's going on.

Needless to say, I am even less impressed with this whole experience than I was already. Another friend of mine cancelled their order when I told them what was happening with mine. They were already exasperated. I don't care what anyone says about how good the product is, Tesla needs to sort this s*** out here in the UK. It is damaging their business and is totally unnecessary.

View attachment 453512
I think i speak for us all when I say your thoughts and feelings resonate amongst all of us.
If Tesla sorted out their customer service (get more bodies in to help! It isn't rocket science) just imagine the feeling amongst the various threads on this forum? It would be incredible to witness - amazing car, packed with technology way ahead of its time, delivered by a passionate and responsive team who put the customer at the heart of everything they do.

We can dream...

• Love
Reactions: RjbT3
I fully expect not to hear from them tomorrow either, so I'm going to go back. The only way to make any progress whatsoever is face-to-face at this stage. Despite honouring the offer for my trade-in made back in June, 5,000 miles and 3 months later, the value was £2000 lower than webuyanycar.com It's an amount that makes a difference, so I cancelled the Tesla trade-in and my car goes to BCA on Monday. So now I've put myself in the position of needing the bloody car, against my better judgement. I don't want to fritter the extra cash away on hire cars. :(

If you are flexible, your car maybe be at a different service centre, phone the support line up and find out which one then phone the service centre.

an incredibly frustrating day

TMC is group therapy - I had a wobble and appreciated the support a few weeks back. Glad to hear it made a difference for you.

With Victor Meldrew looking at me whilst I was reading your painful experience the words "I don't believe it!" appeared between every paragraph, I was hoping you did manage to squeeze the phrase in at some point. There is a OFITG special here..

I called the Tesla call centre this morning (01628 450604). Waited about 5 mins. By some quirk of fate, I ended up speaking with the guy who took me for a test drive at Solihull. He told me this:

- He's been moved to help out with the delivery team due to demand
- I'm still awaiting vehicle matching, but he thinks that'll happen on one of the two shipments heading our way later this month (I've got my pinch of salt right here at my desk!)

My guess is that Tesla are throwing everyone they can onto Model 3 delivery at the moment to try to stem the chaos. He's personally a nice guy and is extremely customer-focused, but he's just one wheel in the machine!
Same story as me then. I also let them know I'm flexible for where I can pick up from in reason

Thanks, everybody for the messages of support. It made a big difference during an incredibly frustrating day whilst on a train back home. Still no car and they claim they don't know when it will show up. All the guy on the front desk wanted to do when I arrived was argue and quote their ordering process T&Cs at me. He tried to tell me my confirmed delivery appointment was only an estimate and blabbed on about not providing alternative mobility, that I should have read my emails properly etc. etc.

After a bit of a rant helped by 20+ years logistics and shipping experience, he finally stopped trying to BS me about their logistics partner.

I was offered 2 options.
1. Stay and complete finance for home delivery at an as-yet-unspecified date.
2. Return to Birmingham at an unspecified date once the car is on-site.
Neither is good enough.

I made myself a coffee and settled down to wait until they could tell me precisely where the car is. I explained how I would go about locating a missing shipment. I think he hated my full Meldrew but capitulated and at least appeared to go and find something out.

I went through and finalised all the paperwork while I waited with a very pleasant guy who seemed genuinely apologetic and calmed me down.

They finally assured me the car was on the vessel from Zeebrugge to a port near Hull, cant remember the name. Not a port I'm familiar with anyway. They said it would be there tomorrow or Saturday but wouldn't commit. How can their logistics be so bad, it beggars belief?

They promised to update me later today by phone or email. Of course, they didn't. So they've taken all my money and can't even tell me where the car is or when it will arrive. I don't know about anyone else, but IMO this is woeful customer service on a grand scale. You just can't trust a word they say because they just don't have the procedures, systems, staff experienced in how to handle situations that go wrong. They don't even want to take accountability for their own cock-ups.
I'd be taking this to the watchdog now

somone try calling to book a service or order parts.????

Ordering parts - was a breeze, despite the lack of webshop.

see Here's how to charge with 32A commando in UK

couldn't fault ordering the 32A commando adapter for the UMC, I wrote a bit more of an experience on another thread somewhere.

Emailed tesla parts with my RN and Phone number & address, very helpful chap at Tesla called me back with 30 minutes, took payment over phone, part arrive when stated, TnT tracked.

The silly thing is, they have this information.

The guy my lease company speaks to was able to check some internal system and see exactly where my car was at that very moment.

So it's not even like they can't give a tracking system, they just don't want to.
To who ever has delivery issues, do you have a VIN number or only a Reservation number?

Elon Musk on Twitter

1/ Went to pick up my new@Tesla Model 3 at West Drayton (UK) on Friday.
They phoned me to say it was ready. 3.5 hr train trip later,
I arrive & they say it was a mistake - no car.
Had the order since 2017, so totally gutted.
Customer service needs a boost in the UK@elonmusk
1:21 AM · Sep 5, 2019·Twitter Web App

This must be frustrating!

However, I was surprised that there was no e-mail with a meeting time and date.

Because if you don't show up, or cannot make it (in less than a week) then your car will be re-assigned to someone else.

Last edited:
Same story as me then. I also let them know I'm flexible for where I can pick up from in reason
This has always been my approach - be reasonable and cooperative with the people and they will respond in kind. I've read complaints about my local SC but I have never experienced the problems spotlighted.

I think part of the problem, apart from Tesla being a very young company with some inexperienced staff on the ground, is that many owners have switched from Mercedes, Jaguar and even the likes of Maserati and Porsche. They reason that as the cars are expensive they have bought the right to receive 'bend over backwards' service.

Whether you like it or not, the fact is that Tesla is a disruptor company and its aim is to primarily compete on the design of the cars and what these cars can do. They had to include a high level of service to start with because they were supporting early adopters and selling only a few cars and at a loss.

Now the focus is on volume and making at least some profit.

So it's all a bit of a compromise, especially with the pressure of much larger volumes of cars to deliver now that the M3 is here. Indeed, we were passed by a transporter with a load of Model 3s last Friday on the M25 - most likely heading for my local SC at West Drayton.

Of course I'd love Jaguar showroom service but in the end the deal with Tesla is the car.

I think part of the problem, apart from Tesla being a very young company with some inexperienced staff on the ground, is that many owners have switched from Mercedes, Jaguar and even the likes of Maserati and Porsche. They reason that as the cars are expensive they have bought the right to receive 'bend over backwards' service.

Yes it all comes down to margins, if Tesla wanted to provide top end service then they could but you'd end up with a cost of about 20%+ more per car, you only need to look at the Porsche Taycan's price and imagine how much they are going to be making per car sold, they will probably make more money than the cost of a Tesla especially after considering servicing in the future!

Reactions: Fraank and vitesse
I went into a ICE dealer the other day to look at a car for my son and spent hours discussing payment types, signing IFA papers, discussing with "my manager" regarding the price etc. It is really awful experience in this day in age where you can click and buy stuff on the phone and get it delivered the next day. We walk out not getting any car cos the part exchange was crap and discount was crap. I know the price on carwow it was thousands less.

Months ago, i was at the Jaguar dealer looking at the ipace and the experience was just as bad. Lucky i did not bite cos the sale price now is thousands off list. When i was there, they were selling at list price only. At least with Tesla, the price they advertise is the price EVERYONE pays at the time and no "speak to the manager" sor 30mins nonsense. Sure sometime the price changes but that happens everywhere. Even at John Lewis and Tescos. But the price is what everyone pays and if you dont like it, you go to a different marque.

Months ago, i was at the Jaguar dealer looking at the ipace and the experience was just as bad. Lucky i did not bite cos the sale price now is thousands off list. When i was there, they were selling at list price only. At least with Tesla, the price they advertise is the price EVERYONE pays at the time and no "speak to the manager" sor 30mins nonsense. Sure sometime the price changes but that happens everywhere. Even at John Lewis and Tescos. But the price is what everyone pays and if you dont like it, you go to a different marque.

Yes quite funny that a to of people who have no clue have said to me that I should get a discount if buying from Tesla as every dealer can give a discount, I try to tell them there are no discounts but it falls onto deaf ears as the old thinking of negotiating is still popular at ICE dealers.

I hate to drive a manual car when you consider all the unnecessary 100s gear shifts, clutch pedal and brake manoeuvres vs a Tesla, on each average drive I must make at least 30 more movements vs driving a Tesla...

I went into a ICE dealer the other day to look at a car for my son and spent hours discussing payment types, signing IFA papers, discussing with "my manager" regarding the price etc. It is really awful experience in this day in age where you can click and buy stuff on the phone and get it delivered the next day. We walk out not getting any car cos the part exchange was crap and discount was crap. I know the price on carwow it was thousands less.

I went into the Jag dealer in Poole about a year ago to discuss the Ipace. I wandered around looking at the cars, it was like a ghost-town. I didnt see anyone, no one came out of hiding to speak to me, not even a secretary. So I walked out.
Lucky.....

• Funny

Very true, less than a year ago we managed to get our E Class with a 'discount ' of over 30%! Needless to say this is the correct price for the vehicle but some unfortunate people end up paying way more than they should. Tesla have made purchasing such a delight, they just need to keep working on the bit from ordering to delivery! It is moving in the right direction though I think.

Another tick in the box for Tesla, I am aware that some people love to haggle, but it’s not for me & reminds me of the ‘Life of Brian’ market scene. I honestly believe people buy cars because they haggled a price. If the list price had been the negotiated price the purchase wouldn’t be made.

Worse thing is when people negotiate a deal and are convinced by the monthly figure being low enough and have no idea how much they are actually repaying over the full period!

There are still many uneducated in how Tesla works and think that they are just another dealer/reseller.