Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mr on-route battery warming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has the MR received the on-route battery warming yet? Can anyone confirm?

I first read your title “Mr on-route battery warming” as “Mister on-route...”, and then thought “heh, maybe a typo and “my on-route...”.

Might catch more flies with “Mid-range” or “MR” in the title, but if you have the latest software and are near a SC you can try it and see if the green notification pops up.

Not sure exactly what “near” is but under 20km should do it.

I first read your title “Mr on-route battery warming” as “Mister on-route...”, and then thought “heh, maybe a typo and “my on-route...”.

Might catch more flies with “Mid-range” or “MR” in the title, but if you have the latest software and are near a SC you can try it and see if the green notification pops up.

Not sure exactly what “near” is but under 20km should do it.

TK, will change the title

Won't it be like at least 4 months before it really matters?

On-route battery warm up helps at any V2 supercharger (which are mostly (almost all?) upgraded to 150kW now).

If you are saying wait til fall ... sure, it will help MORE when it’s cooler ambient temps, but not much more if you were already driving anyways since the battery warms up from driving and the on-route feature just dials in the temp closer to ideal ahead of time to avoid waiting for that process to happen when plugged in at the SC.

Went to an LA Fitness this morning and parked next to a SC (no charging). When I got in to leave it wanted to Precondition.:D

Also when I went on a trip about a week ago I was close to the Savannah SC and had the same message. Noticed that when I hit the accelerator it seemed to be much less responsive. Makes sense but does Preconditioning noticeably reduce power available to the motors?

IMG_0697.jpg

Went to an LA Fitness this morning and parked next to a SC (no charging). When I got in to leave it wanted to Precondition.:D

Also when I went on a trip about a week ago I was close to the Savannah SC and had the same message. Noticed that when I hit the accelerator it seemed to be much less responsive. Makes sense but does Preconditioning noticeably reduce power available to the motors?

View attachment 424687

What type of 3 do you have?

Yes, I’ve seen it on my Mr, I mean MR... :)

I’ve seen it display right away when routing to a supercharger and sometimes it doesn’t. My theory is that when it displayed right away the battery was cool and needed to warmup. When it didn’t display I thought the battery was already warm because the car was sitting in the sun. My car is on 2019.20.4.2

The reason I posted is because I got it and was just parked by a SC and not needing or getting a charge and only 10 miles from my house.

Ya, I found that fact interesting, but you were likely asked for clarification to see if you were also answering OP’s question or not which is a fair point :)

So, on your trip when you saw it come on, were you driving close to the SC with no nav dest set, or another dest set? Or stopped? I wonder if it tries to help you out “intelligently” if you didn’t set the nav dest, but if you have a different dest it figures “nah, he’s not gonna supercharge”.

....So, on your trip when you saw it come on, were you driving close to the SC with no nav dest set, or another dest set? Or stopped? I wonder if it tries to help you out “intelligently” if you didn’t set the nav dest, but if you have a different dest it figures “nah, he’s not gonna supercharge”.

I had 3 SC stops with Navigation on and using AutoPilot on the Interstate and it came on about 3 or 4 miles prior (1st pic) to the SC exit 2 times but NOT at all one time. As stated earlier the 2ed time it came on I tried 'punching' it a little and it felt WAY less responsive.

Also oddly the time it DIDN'T come on I got 147kW/601 MPH or charging speed (2ed pic).

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

I had 3 SC stops with Navigation on and using AutoPilot on the Interstate and it came on about 3 or 4 miles prior (1st pic) to the SC exit 2 times but NOT at all one time. As stated earlier the 2ed time it came on I tried 'punching' it a little and it felt WAY less responsive.

Also oddly the time it DIDN'T come on I got 147kW/601 MPH or charging speed (2ed pic).

Ok so when said earlier the same message came on “close to Savannah SC” you were being routed there by nav, right?

I’m going to be driving near a SC later today, I will keep an eye out for preconditioning. I’m thinking it won’t turn on unless the SC is in nav, OR you are stopped literally right next to it, otherwise people driving by one daily would be wasting power all the time :)

In your case of parking near one, I guess set nav to home before parking to avoid it preconditioning at all?

Ok so when said earlier the same message came on “close to Savannah SC” you were being routed there by nav, right?

I’m going to be driving near a SC later today, I will keep an eye out for preconditioning. I’m thinking it won’t turn on unless the SC is in nav, OR you are stopped literally right next to it, otherwise people driving by one daily would be wasting power all the time :)

In your case of parking near one, I guess set nav to home before parking to avoid it preconditioning at all?
Yes I had Navigation on while heading to Savannah SC (shows this in pic above).

Today I had Navigation on heading to Atlantic Station (LA Fitness and SC) and it did NOT come on even as I drove up to and parked next to the SC Station. Got back in car after workout and hit HOME/Navigation and it came up Preconditioning but of course not the SC listed as a stop in Navigation, nor should it since I had 75% and was only 10 miles from home.

So Yes, the Mid-Range now has preconditioning for supercharging.as of update 2019.20.4.2. Couple things dictate when it will turn on.
1) you have set navigation to go to a SC
2) depends on what your current SOC is.

I'm not sure what the cut off is but if SOC is below a certain percentage then it doesn't need the conditioning or if you've been driving an extended amount of time. I was at SC 3 times today the 1st time SOC was less than 40% and no conditioning. 2nd time I was still above 40% and got the conditioning message. 3rd time I was still above 40% but had been driving much longer than the previous 2 stops and there was no conditioning.