Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS LR Config Change / price increase dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of you may have seen some of my older comments regarding this dilemma of mine.

I currently have a MS LR Black / White / 21s reservation that has a newly updated EDD of Nov 23- Dec 13th. Pre $10k increase as well.

I am having a change of heart and no longer want the white interior. This is a deal breaker for me. As we all know, if I change the config to black interior the price will Increase +10k. With hat being said, does anyone think there is any possibility of obtaining the config that I want (black/black) without the price increase I.e. EOQ push for Q4 or Q4, or any other possibility that I may be able to sneak by? If there is almost no possibility of this I should probably change the reservation to black so I can get a more accurate EDD and get the correct VIN match whenever that may be.

Another option would be to purchase a reservation from someone on TMC. I have found a few that I could purchase (and possibly sell mine).

My current thought process is to wait for EOQ push to see if maybe some black interiors are available and maybe they allow me to take that without the price increase. If this isn’t realistic than I am better off with the options I mentioned above (changing config or purchasing a new reservation)

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts and suggestions are.

Thanks in advance!

• Disagree
Reactions: doubleshot
The contract you signed with Tesla forbids trading orders with other people, or buying another person's purchase contract. Tesla could cancel both your old order and your new order. In any event, changing the name on the purchase contract you agreed to will be a change, and result in the price increase on the original car you are trying to avoid. Otherwise, you would have to buy the old car, title it and pay taxes, and then transfer the car as a used car to another buyer, unless Tesla agrees to the change, which I doubt. That would also be a waste of time and money. Do what you want. Maybe it will work out for you. I'd just change the order if that is what you want.

Two schools of thought:
1) Save your money! The white is awesome. You'll get used to almost anything and learn to enjoy its benefits.
2) This is an expensive luxury product and you should get exactly what you want. As long as you can afford it, don't settle.

When I was younger, I was probably in camp #2. These days (I'm nearly 50), I'm solidly in camp #1. Cars are just objects, and cosmetics are just appearances. They don't really matter that much. You'll be getting a terrific vehicle and you'll probably enjoy it no matter what.

The contract you signed with Tesla forbids trading orders with other people, or buying another person's purchase contract. Tesla could cancel both your old order and your new order. In any event, changing the name on the purchase contract you agreed to will be a change, and result in the price increase on the original car you are trying to avoid. Otherwise, you would have to buy the old car, title it and pay taxes, and then transfer the car as a used car to another buyer, unless Tesla agrees to the change, which I doubt. That would also be a waste of time and money. Do what you want. Maybe it will work out for you. I'd just change the order if that is what you want.
Totally understand where you are coming from in terms of “official policies” but most of those you mentioned are extremes and not enforced. Config change absolutely.

Name / title information change very unlikely as I just did that with my Model Y reservation successfully with someone across the country. Nonetheless, I do appreciate your thoughts and input and will absolutely keep that in mind.

• Disagree
Two schools of thought:
1) Save your money! The white is awesome. You'll get used to almost anything and learn to enjoy its benefits.
2) This is an expensive luxury product and you should get exactly what you want. As long as you can afford it, don't settle.

When I was younger, I was probably in camp #2. These days (I'm nearly 50), I'm solidly in camp #1. Cars are just objects, and cosmetics are just appearances. They don't really matter that much. You'll be getting a terrific vehicle and you'll probably enjoy it no matter what.
Thanks for the feedback! I do agree with your school of thoughts although, I know myself and if I am not 100% committed and happy with my purchase I won’t be happy with the vehicle. With that being said, I am looking to get the black interior. Just trying to decide if I can somehow get lucky and get it without the price increase.

Doesn’t sound like EOQ push 3 or 4 would result in achieving my goal.

Totally understand where you are coming from in terms of “official policies” but most of those you mentioned are extremes and not enforced. Config change absolutely.

Name / title information change very unlikely as I just did that with my Model Y reservation successfully with someone across the country. Nonetheless, I do appreciate your thoughts and input and will absolutely keep that in mind.
All they can do is cancel affected contracts, which they probably won't do if they can move the car quickly, particularly at the end of a quarter. Price increases and change fees, I am not so sure they will voluntarily omit those.

Reactions: mikey_bs
All they can do is cancel affected contracts, which they probably won't do if they can move the car quickly, particularly at the end of a quarter. Price increases and change fees, I am not so sure they will voluntarily omit those.
Totally agree. I think it’s a very long shot regarding prices… just wondering if anyone out there has any suggestion that I’m unaware of. Probably wishful thinking.

That’s horrible, you can’t change color option without price increase, you called and they confirmed this?
It is in writing by Tesla about changes and price increases, as well as potential delays of the delivery, as the delivery date gets reset. I doubt if anyone at the local Tesla store can modify the prices that appear on the order and their computer screen when the order is changed. They have not the power to do this.

Two schools of thought:

Like your philosophy. I am in the same camp #2. I would go with the white interior unless $10K does not matter to you financially.

You're the dude that already took someone else's reservation to get around a new order price. Now complaining it's not what you want. Shoulda picked a better order to jump your place in line. Sorry not sorry.

Edit: that even further traded another reservation for a Model X you didn't really want either. Seems you have too much choice anxiety lol

You're the dude that already took someone else's reservation to get around a new order price. Now complaining it's not what you want. Shoulda picked a better order to jump your place in line. Sorry not sorry.

Edit: that even further traded another reservation for a Model X you didn't really want either. Seems you have too much choice anxiety lol
I still have my Model X reservation that I reserved. Please get your facts right before you come at me.

Nobody asked you to feel sorry for me. If I can find a way to get my build at the right price that’s my choice and I’ll utilize my resources to do so.

Sounds like you’re salty about something….not quite sure what…. Feel free to add another edit: sorry was wrong. 🤫🤣

• Disagree