Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any rhyme or reason on inventory pricing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for a MY7 LR in blue with a tow hitch and the normal wheels and white interior.

A few days ago I saw some in inventory that were close to $3K off. Now those ones are basically no discount and the ones with black interiors and upgraded rims (both of which I don't want) are close to $4K off. Is there any rhyme or reason? Wondering if I should forget about the white interior and standard wheels and just pull the trigger on one of the black interior/upgraded wheels ones or if I should push my luck a little for the one I want to come back down?

I also have a Cybertruck reservation discount I'd kinda like to use but that expires the 31st I believe. And I imagine these discounts mostly go away after the first of the year anyway?

Last edited:
No rhyme or reason. When we ordered my wife’s Model Y earlier this year, we were seeing identical configurations in inventory, all new (not demo), at different prices, at the same time. Our sales advisor confirmed that the prices were inconsistent and unpredictable.

Federal tax rebate on most of these cars will end on 12/31 so if that's important to you, don't wait to pull the trigger.

There is a reason for how they do pricing but it's not something they're sharing outside of the company.

interestingly yours & mine choice looks the same-I'm looking to trade in my 2020MY and been checking the inventory. Each day I unbuckle my configuration a bit b/c Colorado is very generous in EV incentive-the inventories get gobble up fast. But I'm patient and will get more aggressive from Dec. 20th-good luck to you!

interestingly yours & mine choice looks the same-I'm looking to trade in my 2020MY and been checking the inventory. Each day I unbuckle my configuration a bit b/c Colorado is very generous in EV incentive-the inventories get gobble up fast. But I'm patient and will get more aggressive from Dec. 20th-good luck to you!
The ones available for immediate delivery seem to have the larger discount compared to ones in-transit. Not sure if the ones available for immediate delivery are declined VIN or just sitting on the lot. Some say New Vehicle, 50 mi odometer. Others just say New vehicle.

I doubt its just randomized. Instead its likely following an algorithm attempting to optimize return on investment. I also doubt there is simple guidance you can use to your benefit except to know what option combinations are acceptable to you and how much you are willing to pay. Buy when it hits your strike price.