Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS P85D wheel spacers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys hope to get some help. Long story short I purchased after market wheels and put on 19s all around but with 30mm offset. My fault for not checking. Just found out OEM is 40mm. I'm getting rubbing only on reverse and turning. To combat this I figured spacers is the way to go.

Being the offset is 30mm and I like the way I've seen the OEM 21s posted here with 25mm/20mm spacers would that mean I need to get 35mm/30mm because of my 30mm offset?

Adding spacers will make the wheel stick out more. The opposite of what you want to do.

Hmm so maybe spacers won't help then? What's causing the rubbing for me, going from 8.0" width to 8.5" width or going from 40mm offset to 30mm?

Check out https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...2=45&wheel_size=19&wheel_width=8-5&offset2=30 and enter different wheel sizes and offsets to see how it affects one another.

Hmm so maybe spacers won't help then? What's causing the rubbing for me, going from 8.0" width to 8.5" width or going from 40mm offset to 30mm?
Both. As others have stated, adding spacers prob won’t help you. Depending on how bad you’re rubbing, you may be able to heat the liner up and push on it to buy yourself a few precious millimeters. Or just not go full lock when reversing and live with the slight rubbing.

I believe the offset on the FRONT wheels is +30 or 35 mm for all of the OEM wheels. IIRC, the rears are +40 to clear the strut tower.

So, with that said, if you're rubbing on the outer side of the wheel well when reversing, spacers would make things worse, because you're making the "swing" of the wheel wider when you turn. As in, the edge of the tire is even farther from the hub.

I have 22's on my car and experienced rubbing when I reverse at full lock as well. I found that the tire was catching the little plastic fins on the front of the wheel well in reverse, causing the rubbing noise.

From a mechanical standpoint, this is a minor deal, but the noise is irritating. So, my plan is to grab an X-Acto Knife and just cut out the little fins that the tire rubs against. The fins aren't structural, and a few cut out won't be missed. That will eliminate the tire catching on the liner, which will stop the rubbing noise in reverse.

H5kP4dZ.jpg

So, after aaaaall of that, the main reason that folks get spacers for Teslas is that the factory wheels sit about 20mm inbore in the wheel well, which makes it look like it skips leg day. It's purely cosmetic. If you like the "flush" look of wheels that sit right at the edge of the fenders (I certainly do), then spacers will fix that. If you don't care, then don't get spacers.

The only trouble with spacers is that they 1) MUST be hubcentric, or you'll get vibrations, and 2) will significantly exaserbate any existing vibrations you already have. Just something to consider. I used to have 20mm spacers on my OEM 21" turbines, but had issues with vibrations and took them off. Now I have aftermarket 22s with the proper offset to look good.

1.jpg

For my setup, 255/40/20 8.5x20 et24, heat gun didn't help much. So I dremeled the slats back and now they no longer catch on the tread blocks.
Keep an eye on the back half of the wheel well. The tires rub there too.

This is after 5k miles.

IMG_20200102_141243494 copy.jpg
IMG_20200102_142326774 copy.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: krsgio
I believe the offset on the FRONT wheels is +30 or 35 mm for all of the OEM wheels. IIRC, the rears are +40 to clear the strut tower.

So, with that said, if you're rubbing on the outer side of the wheel well when reversing, spacers would make things worse, because you're making the "swing" of the wheel wider when you turn. As in, the edge of the tire is even farther from the hub.

I have 22's on my car and experienced rubbing when I reverse at full lock as well. I found that the tire was catching the little plastic fins on the front of the wheel well in reverse, causing the rubbing noise.

From a mechanical standpoint, this is a minor deal, but the noise is irritating. So, my plan is to grab an X-Acto Knife and just cut out the little fins that the tire rubs against. The fins aren't structural, and a few cut out won't be missed. That will eliminate the tire catching on the liner, which will stop the rubbing noise in reverse.

H5kP4dZ.jpg

So, after aaaaall of that, the main reason that folks get spacers for Teslas is that the factory wheels sit about 20mm inbore in the wheel well, which makes it look like it skips leg day. It's purely cosmetic. If you like the "flush" look of wheels that sit right at the edge of the fenders (I certainly do), then spacers will fix that. If you don't care, then don't get spacers.

The only trouble with spacers is that they 1) MUST be hubcentric, or you'll get vibrations, and 2) will significantly exaserbate any existing vibrations you already have. Just something to consider. I used to have 20mm spacers on my OEM 21" turbines, but had issues with vibrations and took them off. Now I have aftermarket 22s with the proper offset to look good.

View attachment 496502

thanks for the info. I’ve tried the heat gun also but doesn’t help. I talked to the shop I got the wheels from and they have in house machining; so we’re planning to shave down the hub some to go from 30mm to 38mm on the offset. this should almost solve the problem for sure since oem is 40mm

Resolved the problem today following the Russell method. Turns out I didn't need to cut out the whole fin out, just shave it down a bit. I don't have a "real" dremel, so......I used my dog's rotary nail trimmer. The wheel liner is super soft rubber, so it came off with no problem. I then cleaned up the edges with an X-Acto knife and a bit of sandpaper.

I shaved off about 1/4" from about 5 of the fins, and now no more rubbing, period! Structural integrity of the fender liner is fine, and there's no loss of functionality.

K0PE0dy.jpg

Last edited:

H5kP4dZ.jpg

View attachment 496502

If you get the right spacers/adapters they are fine. If you get adapters they come with studs and will change the offset. The problem with spacers is that you need to make sure it has a extended center bore or 5mm is the largest you can use. That’s what will cause vibration and could bend you studs since the rim isn’t fully mounted on the center bore. I run both spacers and adapters on all my rims. No issues

H5kP4dZ.jpg

View attachment 496502

What's the offset on your 22s?

I have to imagine you rub like crazy in the front. I had my last set of wheels set flush with the fender (factory turbines @ + 30, add a 20mm spacer), and it started rubbing at 1/4 turn of the front wheel and got worse from there.

Actually doesn’t rub at all surprisingly. It’s because my rims are deep dish. Meaning they have a large lip which is the style I actually like more but that style faded and now most rims have no or hardly any lip. The rears don’t even need spacers. Neither rub at all. I will be adding larger spacers not adapters cuz I am going to be adding fender flares and want the rims flush with them. I like the flush look much more than it sitting inside. It also makes your car look lower when it’s flush. However it can end up bottoming out a lot easier since you don’t get all the extra space under the wheel well.

It does rub if I use adapters cuz it throws off the offset.

You can see it actually still sits slightly inside compared to the rears
E2F75A2A-53A0-44A8-8B72-6293664429F4.jpeg
17B321CA-22B4-479F-A1BC-BFE1DFD17934.jpeg
358EF411-E5C3-4A0C-A7B6-BA7AF2A9F97C.jpeg
FA497843-3BD9-464F-8429-D61D0D871955.jpeg

Attachments

• 88D746AE-8E7D-4DFD-8997-6A4F772DAA3A.jpeg
    88D746AE-8E7D-4DFD-8997-6A4F772DAA3A.jpeg
    483.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 1E67A9A0-90A3-4A9E-A4BE-A1881E1754F3.jpeg
    1E67A9A0-90A3-4A9E-A4BE-A1881E1754F3.jpeg
    376.2 KB · Views: 83