Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Plaid 19" Tire replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Digging through the threads, I couldn't find something that directly covered what I am looking for.

I drive ~30k a year, mostly highway, and I figure my tires won't make it much more than a year, but I could be wrong. That said, I have the 19" tires and I wanted to know what the general consensus is for MS Plaid 19" tire replacement. I of course would like the dream: no loss in performance, high speed capability, decent tread life, and the ability to handle the winters of Colorado.

What do you recommend?

I live in Northern California and traverse the Sierras in the Winter.
I bought a set of Summer 19's that someone took off when new to get custom wheels and tires.
I loaded some great Nokian full Winter tires on those wheels. It gave me a second set of Summer Pirelli's.
Americas Tire Swaps for free since I purchased the "Tire Certificate" when I bought the Nokians. Found some TPMS Bluetooth on this forum.

Tires—Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 EV

255/45 R 19 104T XL
max load 2000 lb, up to 118 mph

285/40 R 19 107T XL
max load 2150 lb, up to 118 mph

• Helpful
Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
If I had to deal with Colorado winter on one set of tires, I'd probably opt for the Michelin CrossClimate2. If I had a Plaid though, I'd have two sets of tires. Even my 2019 MSP will blink the traction control light on launch, even in warm temperatures using Firehawk Indy 500 summer tires. Traction at low speeds was even worse with the A/S 3+ (which were still pretty good tires) and the car was slower.

• Helpful
Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
I live in Northern California and traverse the Sierras in the Winter.
I bought a set of Summer 19's that someone took off when new to get custom wheels and tires.
I loaded some great Nokian full Winter tires on those wheels. It gave me a second set of Summer Pirelli's.
Americas Tire Swaps for free since I purchased the "Tire Certificate" when I bought the Nokians. Found some TPMS Bluetooth on this forum.

Tires—Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 EV

255/45 R 19 104T XL
max load 2000 lb, up to 118 mph

285/40 R 19 107T XL
max load 2150 lb, up to 118 mph
I was thinking about Nokian for winter tires, I was really trying to avoid swapping out tires all year, but that may be a necessity.

Fortunately, I am not taking the Plaid on any mountain trails, so I don't need anything heavy duty, and if the weather is bad I will just work from home. That said, having the second set would be nice in case I find myself in adverse weather unplanned.

Thank you for the input everyone!