Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Plaid vs Taycan vs EQS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like I mentioned above, I agree you that I have been a bit dramatic about the range and that I should rather focus on the charging speed than 30-40 miles difference in range...

On the topic of the range: You charge to 90% and won't go below 20% to pamper your battery. That's 30% you should avoid using. Then if you have bad winters you can get hit by up to 30% loss (worst case scenario, rain/slush, below freezing temp, short drives, headwind, heater on, etc.) So, thinking you have 100% of the advertised range is a mistake.

Reactions: paratrooper
The thing about road trips is to relax and enjoy the drive. If we need to get anywhere in a hurry - I'd rather fly. So for us, the MS has more than enough range to get to the overnight destination charge without worrying about charging on the way. In the UK and Europe, this means we can stop at a nice restaurant or pub rather than boring franchises at public chargers.

So that eliminates the Taycan, but not the rest. Besides, despite the rear wheel steering, more rubber and suspension set-up - the fact is the Taycan still transitions like the behemoth that it is. The additional weight going towards better isolation from NVH doesn't help. The reviews have had a new phrase since Porsche invented the "sports SUV" which applies here - it handles well... for its weight.

Going to test drive a 2020 Taycan Turbo in my area. It says the range is 300 miles at 100% charge. Now that my buyback is approved, have to decide if I’m going to roll the dice with another MSP and possibly get another vibrating car, or get something else like a Taycan

Attachments

• 72264332989__F52D9142-EF8C-404A-8C3B-9B49EC8F4DBB.jpeg
    72264332989__F52D9142-EF8C-404A-8C3B-9B49EC8F4DBB.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 28
Going to test drive a 2020 Taycan Turbo in my area. It says the range is 300 miles at 100% charge. Now that my buyback is approved, have to decide if I’m going to roll the dice with another MSP and possibly get another vibrating car, or get something else like a Taycan
I would stay away from 2020 Taycans. Lot of problems with the first year. I had one and it spent 20% of the time I owned it in the service. Hard pass!

Something unrelated to a PCM update? The dealership that’s Selling it CPO has been servicing it. Has 8k miles. Can find out if had any issues
On mine I had PCM update issue where they bricked it and had to wait weeks for replacement, AC broke, and bunch of other small issues. There are also reports of HV battery problems and more. You can read about it on taycanforum.

Here is one for you though: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-vibration.3042/
🤣

For 94k i don’t think you’ll do better than the model S. I certainly wouldn’t buy a 4 year old porsche ev that’s known to have problems. I’d order a new one precisely to my spec knowing its going to be much more expensive.

I wouldn’t pay the $190k this Taycan Turbo was stickered at. It is CPO with 2.5 years of warranty left. Worth a look and drive. Only 8k miles. You say the 2020 Taycan had issues, Tesla is buying back my 2023 Model S for 80 mph vibrations they can’t fix after 7 service visits 😂 Doesn’t even count the speaker rattle I had to have fixed, subwoofer that wasn’t working since delivery i had to have swapped out, rear seat rattle, and piece of lint that was under my hood paint I had to have fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Having owned two Model Ss across close to 8 years now, and having put ~110000 miles on them, my view is that range anxiety is not a function of just range - it is a function of two variables - the available functional range and the ubiquity of the charging infrastructure.

If your car has ~350 miles of functional range and the ability to charge quickly from a widespread and reliable charging network, there's no fundamental range anxiety anymore. Furthermore, the extent of the charging infrastructure lowers the marginal importance of range beyond a point.

Multiply your average speed by the time between pit stops to get a more realistic idea. For us thats about 60-70mph x every ~4hrs, so that's under 300mi still, but crucially fits in just perfectly on the 20-90% charging range you want to be in, and what charges the fastest .

The SC network has been effectively bulletproof in terms of reliability and was spaced our well enough way back in 2016 to enable NorCal-SoCal trips easily way back then. It takes zero planning now.

So, having driven a Tesla for quite some time, the real world use considerations are more important than some EPA number. I didn't consider anything other than a Tesla just because the SC network is such a force multiplier for general usability.

Reactions: Propofoln
How long did the buyback take? I still need to request one by the end of the year. I wonder if a lease changes the timeframe on that.

One of my local centers was like oh Vibration issues are eligible for a buyback which seems like BS to me

I think it’s worth another try with the Model S but you have to be prepared for anything from a great vehicle to one worse than your current lemon.
This is exactly the same issue I’m facing. If I go down the buyback path, what’s next? Do I go back to a MYP or get another Plaid?

Not interested in a CCS car. I drive too much to deal with electrify America.

I know the MYP won’t have any issues, but the refresh is around the corner. Ugh

I’ve probably been overly harsh about my model S but even with it’s faults it’s the best car I’ve owned. And the sole reason i bought it was for the performance. So there’s nothing on the market that can replace it even almost 3 years after the plaid came out.

Reactions: teko