Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Raven, Half crippled after multiple 2019.16.3 upgrade failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery 3 days ago of my MS, Long range, Full self driving option, etc.
Got a message for an upgrade 1 day after I've got the car.
It failed that evening and I have noticed that I do not have "Autopilot on Navigate" and no "Summon" options.
Weirdly enough, the car DID show that 2019.16.3 is installed. The folks in the service center claims it was a "partial upgrade"...

Talking with the service center the morning after, they have pushed another upgrade and I've got a notification. Asked to initiate an upgrade which was failed 15min after starting the upgrade (Screen showed "Starting Upgrade" and after 15min showed "failed upgrade").

Went to the service center that afternoon as they suspected that the download to the car might be the reason; they have forced the payload via a laptop connected to the car. Asked me to upgrade later and had the same failed scenario.

Now I have my Raven with:
  • No Autopilot on Navigate
  • No Summon options
  • Car stopped recognize lanes and any other cars around it while driving on highways
  • Headlights are on all the time when in Auto mode, even in the middle of a sunny day. Can only turn them off by specifically press the off option on the main screen. This will come up again the next time I start the car
  • Same with fog lights...
A surprisingly bad experience for a $100k car in the first few days.
Scheduled to bring it in on Monday (another lost workday...)

Did anyone experience issues with the 2019.16.3 ver? Any recommendations?

Sounds like a HW3 upgrade failure. This is kind of typical for when Tesla pushes out new hardware — the software takes some time to iron out. In the meantime early adopters do tend to experience more software issues like this though Tesla rarely takes longer than a week to resolve it.

Note that most people would rather have the newer hardware and live through this phase than be the owner of currently stable but soon to feel abandoned hardware.

MCU2 was crashy at first. HW2.5 had delayed updates and some software update failures too. Yet if you ask anyone today, the vast majority would hate to still have MCU1 or HW2.0.

Thanks,
It is indeed an amazing car. Its just the first weekend with this new "Toy" and thought to enjoy it with all its features :) I will wait for the service center to (hopefully) re-install the FW and get it all up and running...

What is all that "Raven" stuff ? What does it mean ?

Raven is the updated Model X and S with new suspension and new front motor and some other minor stuff. They are more efficient and have therefore a longer range. "Raven" was the internal code name at Tesla for these changes and people started using that term on the forums as well

If I were you, I'd be very disappointed and I'd seriously be considering returning the car.

It's within the first week, and stuff isn't working ... clear breach of sales contract. Any lawyer would pick up the case if they wanted to go that way...

Don't get caught up in worrying about software versions, that's Tesla's business. Your car just doesn't work and that's as much as you should be concerned about software.

Give it back to Tesla and ask for your money back.

Or ask for a car that works as promised "right now".