Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Refresh/Removed Front Plate/E-ZPass & Sunpass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched through a ton of threads on this, but I can't find consensus. I called both Sunpass (Florida) and E-ZPass (NY), who both said I needed a front plate mounted transponder. That would be fine, if it weren't for the fact that I don't have a front plate and have removed the bracket.

Suggestions on where to put a front-license plate transponder when you don't have a front plate? A solution that involves velcro would be great, as I could then swap the two transponders when I was in CT vs. FL. Thanks.

I've searched through a ton of threads on this, but I can't find consensus. I called both Sunpass (Florida) and E-ZPass (NY), who both said I needed a front plate mounted transponder. That would be fine, if it weren't for the fact that I don't have a front plate and have removed the bracket.

Suggestions on where to put a front-license plate transponder when you don't have a front plate? A solution that involves velcro would be great, as I could then swap the two transponders when I was in CT vs. FL. Thanks.
My MS60 hasn't been delivered yet, but my conversations with my DS and with the SunPass folks suggest that the only solutions for the new design are:
1. Use a permanent SunPass sticker RFID transponder (which is, by far, the most common version now) and block with a steel plate that SunPass provides if you're somewhere like the I-95 Express Lanes (which are exempt from tolls for EVs).

2. Use a suction-cup SunPass (which you can still find at Publix or buy online) and use the special baggie they provide to "hide" it from the SunPass system on exempt roads.

You'll get the steel plate or the baggie when you register your EV with South Florida Commuter Services, which you can't do until after you've gone in person to a DMV office to get your HOV/Low-Emission sticker.

In either case, the nosecone/front plate work-arounds aren't needed anymore because the redesigned front windshield doesn't block RFID. So if you prefer the "regular" SunPasses, you're in luck with the new model. If you wanted to completely hide it, you're out of luck.

Because there are so few of us (relative to all other cars), I still find that the folks at SunPass don't give 100 percent consistent answers on this, and even the guidance from Tesla employees seems to be a little shaky. Make sure you're monitoring your SunPass use through their website until you feel comfortable that it's correctly logging your tolls.

My MS60 hasn't been delivered yet, but my conversations with my DS and with the SunPass folks suggest that the only solutions for the new design are:
1. Use a permanent SunPass sticker RFID transponder (which is, by far, the most common version now) and block with a steel plate that SunPass provides if you're somewhere like the I-95 Express Lanes (which are exempt from tolls for EVs).

2. Use a suction-cup SunPass (which you can still find at Publix or buy online) and use the special baggie they provide to "hide" it from the SunPass system on exempt roads.

You'll get the steel plate or the baggie when you register your EV with South Florida Commuter Services, which you can't do until after you've gone in person to a DMV office to get your HOV/Low-Emission sticker.

In either case, the nosecone/front plate work-arounds aren't needed anymore because the redesigned front windshield doesn't block RFID. So if you prefer the "regular" SunPasses, you're in luck with the new model. If you wanted to completely hide it, you're out of luck.

Because there are so few of us (relative to all other cars), I still find that the folks at SunPass don't give 100 percent consistent answers on this, and even the guidance from Tesla employees seems to be a little shaky. Make sure you're monitoring your SunPass use through their website until you feel comfortable that it's correctly logging your tolls.
Super helpful, thanks. What was new to me is that "the redesigned windshield won't block RFID." Where did you hear that? If that's the case, I'm fine, I'll use suction cups and swap between Sunpass and E-ZPass as i need to....

Super helpful, thanks. What was new to me is that "the redesigned windshield won't block RFID." Where did you hear that? If that's the case, I'm fine, I'll use suction cups and swap between Sunpass and E-ZPass as i need to....

I had a 2013 P85 with the plate transponder hidden under the nose one. On my new P100D I have been using a suction cup mounted version directly under the camera/radar box behind the rear view mirror. It works just fine there.

Reactions: arosenbe
I use NJ Easy Pass from inside the windshield (December 2016 refresh MS) and it works fine. I keep it in the glove box and place it on the dash only when passing through the toll station (I don't use toll roads frequently).

I've searched through a ton of threads on this, but I can't find consensus. I called both Sunpass (Florida) and E-ZPass (NY), who both said I needed a front plate mounted transponder.

I have a 2016 Model S. I live in NY. I have an internally mounted NY EZ-Pass. It works 100% of the time. Here's how: Mount the EZ-Pass HORIZONTALLY but UPSIDE DOWN, tight against the rear view mirror housing about and inch down from the top of the glass.

The reason for this is the black area next to your rear view mirror will allow the signals to pass through the windshield HOWEVER the transponder is on the right side of the EZ-Pass. If you mount the EZ-Pass right side up, the transponder falls outside of this black section. Hence, you must mount it upside down. The reason for mounting it horizontally, NOT vertically is that the receiver expects the signal to be oriented in a certain way and putting it vertically screws that up (or so I've read).

I have a 2016 Model S. I live in NY. I have an internally mounted NY EZ-Pass. It works 100% of the time. Here's how: Mount the EZ-Pass HORIZONTALLY but UPSIDE DOWN, tight against the rear view mirror housing about and inch down from the top of the glass.

The reason for this is the black area next to your rear view mirror will allow the signals to pass through the windshield HOWEVER the transponder is on the right side of the EZ-Pass. If you mount the EZ-Pass right side up, the transponder falls outside of this black section. Hence, you must mount it upside down. The reason for mounting it horizontally, NOT vertically is that the receiver expects the signal to be oriented in a certain way and putting it vertically screws that up (or so I've read).

My understanding is that the MS manufactured before fall 2016 required this kind of acrobatics... there was a smallish rectangle of windshield that was "clear" for RFID signals. But the folks at my Tesla shop said it will now work anywhere on windshield. Again, I can't personally vouch for this, but I really grilled them about it because my community is gated and doesn't offer an alternative to RFID tags. They assured me that it would work anywhere it would work on any other car (i.e. any clear part of the windshield).

I'll try to remember to report back when my car is delivered next month.

Interesting, but I don't actually have a black area on my windshield. It's entirely clear, even near the cameras. AP2 thing maybe?

HI JFoxNY.......could you please post a photo of your EZ pass mount? I have one of the new NJ EZ passes that is compact and thicker on one side. It was mounted vertically on my 17' MS and did not work on the northbound Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Thank you!

HI JFoxNY.......could you please post a photo of your EZ pass mount? I have one of the new NJ EZ passes that is compact and thicker on one side. It was mounted vertically on my 17' MS and did not work on the northbound Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Thank you!

I’ve found that my NJ EZpass doesn’t work when mounted vertically. It must be mounted horizontally. I have mine mounted horizontally next to the AP2 cameras and it works every time. I go through EZpass 6 times each day on my commute and it hasn’t failed once.

6/2017 MS 75D.
Ez pass on the right of the camera and dashcam below it.
Never had a problem.
Hope it helps.

Attachments

• AA901E7F-ED27-4D4E-B721-49620317C599.jpeg
    AA901E7F-ED27-4D4E-B721-49620317C599.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 187
I posted this in the last (or the one before the last) EZ-Pass thread.

In my 2017 AP2 MS there is no special space for the EZ-Pass anymore. An internal EZ-Pass worked just fine at all MA tolls (overhead gantries) and *most* NY tolls. It was just fine traveling downstate (near NYC).

However, several upstate NY Thruway toll booths didn't read it at all. Every time it didn't read it, NY charged us a toll for the full length of the Thruway (about $18). We had to send a physical letter to gets the charges reversed, which they did.

We've since switched to an external transponder to avoid this hassle in the future. By the time we traveled down to VA we had the external, so I don't know if other toll booths had issues like those in upstate NY.