TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

MS v Floods

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by J1mbo, Jan 10, 2014.

1. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

OK, so I was driving through yet another flooded road on the way into work this morning when I started to wonder how the MS would cope.

The water was pretty deep by the curb, probably deep enough to be splashed into the air intake at the bottom of the MS grill. I've read a few threads on here where people have killed the battery by getting it wet... wondering how deep the water would have to be before it becomes a problem?

2. Zextraterrestrial

I have heard ~6" is all you should attempt and expect to be ok.. slowly though. I think there are water sensors that detect 'submersion' and disconnect the HV battery

3. smil3193

smil3193 Owner (S85)

If you have smart suspension you can raise it up a bit when driving slowly through water.

4. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Can water get into the pack from the front air dam?

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The pack is sealed, so that's not a problem. There are water sensors that will shut the car off if the water gets too high. Last year there were one or two cars that activated the water sensor when there was no need to do so. My understanding is that they are now less sensitive. The problem isn't the pack, it's the electronics outside the pack.

6. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

you should really re-consider the urgence to get to work when having to ford water with a £70k car

7. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

No work, no car ;)

I'm sure the car is able to deal with more typical rainy situations but things are a bit extreme here at the moment with lots of overflowing drains and surface water hiding nasty potholes.

On a more general note, we have quite a few fords (not the car brand) like this - sometimes in the middle of nowhere with long detours to avoid them.

Check out www.wetroads.co.uk for more examples.

Be good to get some specific guidance on this from Tesla.