Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mt. Washington Auto Road in a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be at the KOA in twin mountain NH Friday and Saturday night pitching a tent between RV's at a 50 amp site. Already spoke to them about having a couple cars. Another option for those that need a charge pre or post the climb. Likely room for another car if you want to share a site, pm me.

I am planning a trip from Montreal to Ocean City with my Model S and was looking for some accommodation for the return trip.
I found that Lake Morey Resort has a 14-50 plug available on Recargo.
I just called to confirm. It might be of interest for those coming from/going back to the south after the ascent ... Either overnight or just for a long lunch ...

I will be joining you guys for the outing, arriving on the friday night at Twin Mountain KAO camping and staying there the saturday night also.

Last edited:
I mentioned an RV service center before. Here is the info:

Hill's RV in Center Conway, NH has 3 50 amp outlets outside their shop. I spoke to the owner's wife, Sharon, and she showed me the outlets. She was receptive to the possibility of people charging up there on Saturday in preparation for the trip. I told her we'd call ahead if anyone wanted to take advantage of that. Here is their contact info:

Hill's RV
Rt. 302, 738 Eastman Rd
Center Conway, NH 03813
(603) 356-4111
Hill's Rv's North Conway, NH An Award Winning Winnebago Dealer [email protected]
Craig Hill is the owner, Sharon Hill, his wife, is the one I spoke with at the beginning of July.

Also, I finalized the assent time with the auto road liaison. We will be departing the base at 7:00 PM and will be at the summit until 8:30 when we will begin the decent. The sunset at the peak will be at 8:08 PM, so even if the weather is cloudy (as normal), it should still be quite a sight.

If you want to listen to the guided tour on the way up or the way down, you'll need to download the MP3s. You can find them here:
http://mt-washington.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/MtWashingtonAutoRoad-GoingUp.mp3
http://mt-washington.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/MtWashingtonAutoRoad-GoingDown.mp3

Please make sure you have done your RSVP on the meetup site ( Mt. Washington Auto Road climb - New England Tesla Motors Club (Boston, MA) - Meetup ), and feel free to bring either cash, check to me, or you can PM me for a paypal address. I made the reservation in my name, so unless it is a problem for anyone, I'll just take care of the charge and recoup from people.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

CHARGING NEAR MOUNT WASHINGTON MT WASHINGTON
Drove from Boston suburbs to Pinkham Notch (Mt Washington) this morning, then around north through Goreham, down to Twin Mountain, over to 91, down through Hanover, to a small lake just North of Sunapee, where I tap away now on the laptop.

That's 330 miles. 178 to Pinkham Notch, 148 around the Northern route.
Left with 260, arrived Mt Washington with 67 left.
Charged at three places, in part for the fun of it, and to help out all for this trip Aug 3rd:

Nissan Dealer in Berlin, just Northwest of Goreham charged at 30A = 16mph. Ate lunch in car. Good times. Uselessly slow, industrial area, but they were very nice. Charged 45 min. Outlet MAY BE AVAILABLE 24/7 - not sure. Edit: yes it is - per Peter K's excellent write up at top of this thread. Is on right side of the main building, just after the service entrance.

Heading a few miles EAST of Goreham on Route 2 the are White Birches and Timberland Campgrounds:
White Birches has 50A outlets but all were taken.
Dave at Timberlands very helpful - we agreed on $10 for 4 hours on a 50A circuit = 26 miles/hour. I charged an hour and left as that was the only 50A and an RV came to stay the night. Dave offered to refund me, I said please put it toward the next Tesla that arrives, so go collect on that :)

Found a nice little place in Twin Mountain, Tarry Ho! Campground, has (I believe) five 50A outlets; a simple place with some narrow but more-private -than typical sites by the river..but the 50A sites are not on the river. Charged there 2.5 hours, we had agreed on $10 minimum for up to four hours (based on same rates posted for charging ar RV sites on Plug Share). Nice folks. There are some cabins there with private baths. Suspect that one could charge at the 50A site and stay over in a cabin or river-site. Impressively, the very kind woman there knew a lot about Tesla - Nicola, not the car...

The key point is that both Timberland and Tarry Ho have agreed, moving forward, to let us charge there for the $10 minimum, up to 4 hours, at 50A. Gave full Tesla Time Tours and was appreciated. They will all be happy to see you. Call ahead!

I hope to be there but really uncertain. And, yes, I was tempted to whisp up the auto-road today but held off. Will drive no wine before its time...something like that.

Oh, I arrived here with 12 miles range. Means I wasted more than 20 minutes charging...Ha!

Peter K - super story, pictures, explanations - bravo on being the first Tesla to Peak Washington. Possibly the first all-electric car.

Last edited:
Peter K - super story, pictures, explanations - bravo on being the first Tesla to Peak Washington. Possibly the first all-electric car.

Thanks. Probably the first Model S, possibly the first Tesla, but definitely not the first EV. A guy from Quebec drove a Focus EV up last summer, which was documented in a newspaper article. Given the limited charging options up north, I think getting there from Montreal in a Focus EV is an accomplishment in itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. Probably the first Model S, possibly the first Tesla, but definitely not the first EV. A guy from Quebec drove a Focus EV up last summer, which was documented in a newspaper article. Given the limited charging options up north, I think getting there from Montreal in a Focus EV is an accomplishment in itself.

Sylastro is the guy, is now a member here at TMC, having bought a Model S, back in march. He has put 26000 Km on it already ...

Here is his first annual maintenace story : BILAN avec ma TESLA MODEL S: 26 000 KM (4 mois) | Roulez Electrique

You can find his trip report on his blog, if you feel like practicing french...

I just reserved a cabin at the Tarry Ho! Campground. I made a reservation online and got a call back within 10 or 20 minutes. Very easy.

I just did the same :) we'll be camp mates. I'm not sure if I'll have a guest, but I'll be there.
talked to the nice lady about places to eat diner as well, seems there is a Chinese Buffet, a Pizza/Sub place, a Japanese place, a fancier place called "Town & Country", seem like plenty of places to have diner before/after the climb.

DEinspanjer, I'll just bring cash, as I'm not sure if it will be just me, or me + 1 guest, so $25 or $50 is what I'll get you in cash :)

Last edited:
New England Teslafanatics,

Well done. This is great. Trying to rally and be there. ironically, I will be at the Mt Washington Auto Road tomorrow, Sunday, but just driving by, not up. Is there any info or anything I can check on in person or anyone I can speak to in person to be of help? Please let me know, call or text my cell if you have it, else, PM me so I'll see it in my email as I won't be checking in here tomorrow.

Bravo to those who made the reservation, planned the trip, and rallied the troops.

Please please summarize exact meeting places, exact time and place of departure (meeting "at the autoroad" itself might be difficult - think there is a parking lot across the street, for example - hmmm I should check on that tomorrow...). And an early or late dinner together anyone? And if soon-to-be Model S owners want to come up a hitch a ride, chime in.

Could someone please double triple check on exactly how to engage the emergency brake? I think it is by pressing and holding the silver end of the "gear shifter" that we usually use for putting the car in Park, but this needs checking.

Verizon is strong in Gorham, weak at Pinkham Notch, variable near the Autoroad - bet better up high though!
ATT 3g Touchscreen was useless for much of my time up there last week...

What else?

Good thing you're not doing this on Saturday August 17th otherwise you would be passed by all the bicycles during the annual Mt. Washington Auto Road Bicycle Hillclimb:biggrin:

http://www.tinmountain.org/?page_id=1200

"Known as The Toughest Hillclimb in the World TM , this 7.6-mile uphill race to the summit of the highest peak in the northeastern United States"

Last edited:
Please please summarize exact meeting places, exact time and place of departure (meeting "at the autoroad" itself might be difficult - think there is a parking lot across the street, for example - hmmm I should check on that tomorrow...). And an early or late dinner together anyone? And if soon-to-be Model S owners want to come up a hitch a ride, chime in.
We will meet in the gravel parking lot that is on the same side as the auto road. there are two entrances to the lot, one right off of the main auto road entrance, and one a little further down the highway.

We need to all be at the parking lot by 7, because that is when they will start the process of getting the group through the gate. Once we are through the gate, we will stop for a bit to make any final preparations, they will give us some driving tips, and then we will start the drive at 7:30 with two carriage vans bracketing us.

I'll be across the street at the lodge between 6 and 6:30 to take care of payment and such.

Could someone please double triple check on exactly how to engage the emergency brake? I think it is by pressing and holding the silver end of the "gear shifter" that we usually use for putting the car in Park, but this needs checking.

I didn't have a chance to check into forced engagement of the emergency break, but the experience of both Peter and myself when driving the road is that the Model S is actually significantly safer than a typical car. Neither of us had to even touch the brakes more than a few times during the entire decent. The regenerative braking keeps you at a nice safe speed throughout most of the decent. On most parts, you actually have to keep your foot very gently on the accelerator to prevent the regenerative braking from slowing you down too much.

I didn't have a chance to check into forced engagement of the emergency break, but the experience of both Peter and myself when driving the road is that the Model S is actually significantly safer than a typical car. Neither of us had to even touch the brakes more than a few times during the entire decent. The regenerative braking keeps you at a nice safe speed throughout most of the decent. On most parts, you actually have to keep your foot very gently on the accelerator to prevent the regenerative braking from slowing you down too much.

I agree - no need to worry about emergency brake, and you do often need to push the go pedal lightly to reduce the regen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2