Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainBike with front wheel on fits in the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally figured out how to fit my medium frame mountain bike without removing the front wheel (and moving up the front seats). The trick was to open the rear left door. I backed in the bike at angle and laid down the bike chain up. Twist the handle bars and front wheel towards the car. Walk of to the rear left door and pull on the rear wheel until the left end of the handle bar slips underneath the lip of the hatch seal (otherwise the hatch won't close). Then you close the door and the hatch. Takes about 10-15 seconds once you have it down. You have to then open the door again to remove the bike as the handlebar gets wedged underneath the lip. This actually keeps the bike solid in place. Pretty stoked as I don't have to rely on the hitch carrier. More aero, theft protection (I can leave the car) and easier to park at the Supercharger. I imagine this would work with larger frames if you move the seats up. Road bikes should be non-issue with their narrow bars. Extra wide bars maybe an issue, my are 760 mm I believe.
bike Y.jpg

I was waiting for someone to figure it out!! How many dings and scratches did you get while figuring it out? How many do you still get every time you do this? I get my Model Y next week...I don't want to scratch my new car! I am surprised you didn't put up a full pet cover to protect the inside of the car!!!
Trunk Car Pet Special Mat for Tesla Model Y 2020-2022

You should put up a video :)

Also, why don't you take the front wheel off? It's not that hard :)

IMG-5831.jpg

Not sure why I didn't think of this before. Opening the trunk well stores the front wheel. That allows for bigger bike placement. The top of steerer can scratch the wall a bit, so putting some cloth over would be wise. This is a SPOT SS hardail medium frame.

Last edited:
IMG-5834.jpg

Wife's bike - Julianna Wilder TR small frame has flat pedals and a long handlebars 800 mm. I had remove the second panel to accommodate the bike.

My goal is to avoid using the hitch bike carrier for a few reasons.
1. To improve aerodynamics. I lose about 10-15% in efficiency while that bike is on the carrier in the rear.
2. When the bike is inside the car with tinted window it's completely invisible to the outside. I can safely park the car and go to the store or leave it at work parking lot.
3. This is the most secure way to carry a bike - hitch carrier can get lose and fall off, bike can come lose if the tires looses pressure, etc.
4. In some parking lot bikers are not allow to stage their riding (SEDONA)... so not having a hitch carrier makes you less detectable.
5. I don't have to install and uninstall the hitch. It only takes me about 15-20 seconds to remove the well panel and protective cover and put the bike in. About the same time to remove the bike and replace well panel and protective cover.

Downsides of this is obviously is that your passenger capacity is reduced to only 2 and risk of scratching the walls and introducing dirt and grime in to the inside of the car. My car has about 50K and on it and it has some wear and tear, so I don't mind that much.

Removing the front wheel on the newer bikes' thru-axles, requires use of a tool and proper torque. That just adds more time and it's really unnecessary.

I am pretty sure this would work on larger frames and bigger tires as I still had room behind the seats. The biggest limitation seems to be the width of the bars.

Reactions: teca01
Hello CyberB, I totally agree on the whole bike inside the vehicle rationale.

Have you tried fitting your mtb upright in the Y?

IMHO removing the front wheel beats lifting and placing the whole bike inside in on its side; it should go rear wheel first, with the fork in the well, then securing it with cord straps etc.

Cheers