Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-coat red should be called multi-color red

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine still looks great almost 2 years after delivery (though I did have it OptiCoated...huge difference).

Tell me about Opti-Coat, please? What was the "huge difference" that you noticed?

I see online that it is some sort of polymer after-market coating that is supposed to protect the paint. Claims permanent and never needs re-doing, yet warranty is 5 years.

Local dealer quoted an astronomical $850 to do it and said it is so expensive because he has to prep and prime before applying, but when pressed, he could not or would not explain what he means by primer. I spent 20+ years in the paint industry and my understanding of primer is not something transparent.

Thanks

Thanks for posting beautiful pics. Now that you are 1 1/2 years on with the car, can you share with us how difficult it is to keep it looking good?

My first choice was silver, since that is one of the most forgiving colors for hiding dust and road dirt, and it looks very nice, but the multi-coat red looks absolutely stunning.

Mine is almost two years old and it looks better than new, and I've done nothing more having it washed every week and detailed every 4 months or so. Keeping the car clean and the paint surface free of dirt and contaminants is probably more important than the specific chemistry in the polish, wax, "space age" coatings, and the like that one might use. I continue to use the Glare products that I chose from my early tests.

IMG_0152.JPG

Does multicolor red have a noticeable metallic flake to it at all? I really love the way metallic flake catches the light. I don’t really see any metallic in the pictures, but I know that pictures don’t do it justice....
Multi-coat Red is what we old guys used to call "candy apple red" back in the 60s. It is a metallic base coat with semi-transparent red over it, allowing the metallic to show through. It takes great skill during painting to manage the film thickness of red in order to keep the final color even.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa and d-bone