Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple 14-50 on one run

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont have my tesla yet but am thinking about the changing installation. Due to the layout of my driveway, garage and timing of when I get home vs my wife, sometimes I park outside and sometimes in the garage. Think of it like the equivalent of a single car garage. I want to be able to charge every night as recommended. I would likely need to run the line from the front of the house, past where I would park outside, and then into the garage. I'm thinking of maybe putting a weather protected 14-50 in line outside and then either another 14-50 or a HWPC inside the garage at the end of the line. I would only use one or the other. Would this setup make sense?

No. Your proposed setup does not make sense. Each 14-50 outlet needs to be on a separate circuit, regardless of your intentions on how you think they will be used.

Attention prospective Tesla owners:
Do not cheap out on installing your home charging solution, whether it's a NEMA 14-50 outlet or a Wall Connector.

For details, see the info and links on this page:
Home charging installation

Reactions: KJD
I dont have my tesla yet but am thinking about the changing installation. Due to the layout of my driveway, garage and timing of when I get home vs my wife, sometimes I park outside and sometimes in the garage. Think of it like the equivalent of a single car garage. I want to be able to charge every night as recommended. I would likely need to run the line from the front of the house, past where I would park outside, and then into the garage. I'm thinking of maybe putting a weather protected 14-50 in line outside and then either another 14-50 or a HWPC inside the garage at the end of the line. I would only use one or the other. Would this setup make sense?

If you want to share one run, it is safer to install multiple new HPWCs and Daisy Chain them according to how that is designed.

This will provide you with the ability to provide the best and safest available power to each Tesla charging at the same time.

I don't think they understand that you will be using one or the other outlet, not both.

Still, I don't think you can have two 14-50 outlets on one circuit.

How about putting the outlet near the garage door, and if you are the second car home, then back in and plug in? Run the cable under the garage door -- shouldn't be a problem.

Or mount the 24' Wall Connector near the garage door and run that cable under the door.

If you want to share one run, it is safer to install multiple new HPWCs and Daisy Chain them according to how that is designed.

This will provide you with the ability to provide the best and safest available power to each Tesla charging at the same time.
This is a common misconception from reading a part of the manual... you can't 'daisy chain' the HPWC's. You can run a circuit for them, and split off power with splices/taps and run the wires to each one (of a max of four). The only 'daisy chain' is the separate data cable that goes from 1 to 2, then from 2 to 3, and from 3 to 4 (if you have more than 2 units).

To summarize, the power lines do NOT enter and leave one HPWC.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Here is an idea:

- Run a single 14-50R inside the garage
- Run an extension to outside with a 14-50P to 14-50R (weatherproofed box can be used to house the receptacle)
- Unplug extension when charging inside
- Plug it in when outside setup is needed

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lithivm
I don't think they understand that you will be using one or the other outlet, not both.

Still, I don't think you can have two 14-50 outlets on one circuit.

How about putting the outlet near the garage door, and if you are the second car home, then back in and plug in? Run the cable under the garage door -- shouldn't be a problem.

Or mount the 24' Wall Connector near the garage door and run that cable under the door.

Thanks this sounds good.

Thanks for everyone's input! Great community!

Reactions: KJD
There is actually an allowance in NEC to have multiple high power outlets on one circuit if the intent is to only use one at a time. The common use case for this is a shop that has a high power welder or something that may need to be moved around to different places. You could install 2 or 3 of the 10-50 outlets on separate walls because that welder is only going to be plugged into one place. I don't know if I could find the reference where that is in the NEC right now, but I have seen it. So yes, this 14-50 plan for your car parking in two different places should be all right, but don't try to finagle that using both if you get a second electric car.