Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple Faults

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happened after.8 software update and wrongly attributed to that. Tesla virtual service couldn’t fix it and passed it on to service center team. I’m still awaiting them to get back.

The problem was, no autopilot, backup camera black screen, map screen frozen. What is the likely cause? Will it be a ranger visit.

MYLR

Happened after.8 software update and wrongly attributed to that. Tesla virtual service couldn’t fix it and passed it on to service center team. I’m still awaiting them to get back.

The problem was, no autopilot, backup camera black screen, map screen frozen. What is the likely cause? Will it be a ranger visit.

MYLR
Need more information:
- How often does this happen?
- Was it there before the .8 update?
- Does it go away with two button reset?
- Time of the day it happens?
- Anything related to charging? or connectivity issues?
- Does this happen while driving or start of the journey?
- If you have a video of that that would also help.

Upvote 0
Need more information:
- How often does this happen?
- Was it there before the .8 update?
- Does it go away with two button reset?
- Time of the day it happens?
- Anything related to charging? or connectivity issues?
- Does this happen while driving or start of the journey?
- If you have a video of that that would also help.
It’s permanent.
Wasn’t there before .8
Does not go away with two button reset

Upvote 0
I had exactly this. Originally diagnosed as a air lock in the cooling line to the main CPU for autopilot. System was purged at the MK service centre. When I got home it happened again so turned around and headed the 5 minutes back there. Ended up being a full computer replacement was needed which took a few days to order in and fit. Mine did not fix with a 2 button reset, I lost GPS location, all cameras meaning that things like wipers, light and dimming the screen, all had to be done manually.
This also occurred after a system update, unsure if that put more stress on the CPU causing the fault or if it's a side effect of update.

Upvote 0
I had this last month. It cleared itself overnight, but the blank rear camera came back a couple of times. Tesla replaced the camera and its wiring loom. It might have fixed it, but with something intermittent you can never tell.
There were camera issues like This a few years ago and the cause was that some peripheral items were booting up too slowly so were not available at the time that the OS boot up was complete so it did not recognise that they existed. This started to happen after a software update and was later fixed by one.
Not saying this is related just a bit of background

Upvote 0
Will it be a ranger visit.

It’s permanent.
Wasn’t there before .8
Does not go away with two button reset
Given what you have said it is not a ranger visit. Describe this in detail when you raise a service request. Looks like full replacement of the processor not sure whether you have the Ryzon or intel? Also take a video or photo and attach that with it. If it is there always they would probably investigate bit more thoroughly rather than something that comes and goes.

Upvote 0
I am waiting for Tesla Service to respond.
I was just trying to pre empt a ranger visit as this doesn’t look like that can be fixed on your door step. If you add more information and pictures they normally triage and then upgrade to a service centre visit. Otherwise it will be a waste of time for a ranger to come and then put it back for a service centre visit.

Upvote 0
The “parts” arrive at the service center today. They haven’t said what the parts are. I’m booked in to Stratford on Avon on Monday. I didn’t know there was a service centre there, I usually use Bristol or Cardiff.

I will have to drive myself there using paper maps. The horror.

Upvote 0
’m booked in to Stratford on Avon on Monday. I didn’t know there was a service centre there, I usually use Bristol or Cardiff.
You still can go on to the App and change the place - the original booking happened at Stratford on Avon because of the first availability of slots. But good to message them and check where the parts are going to be and whether you can book into Bristol on a different date and the parts will be sent to them.

Tesla is flexible with these things. But you have to make contact with them to discuss options.

Upvote 0
Given what you have said it is not a ranger visit. Describe this in detail when you raise a service request. Looks like full replacement of the processor not sure whether you have the Ryzon or intel? Also take a video or photo and attach that with it. If it is there always they would probably investigate bit more thoroughly rather than something that comes and goes.
Mine was one of the dual auto pilot computers, if either fail it causes this issue. It only detected the failure when trying to activate sentry mode, whilst driving it didn't care that it had failed and didn't log any user viewable error. Service tech said it had generated thousands of errors in the logs though showing an overheat.

Upvote 0
Mine was one of the dual auto pilot computers, if either fail it causes this issue.
Yes, Elon mentioned about the FSD computers dual SoC in X before as a fail safe but not sure the OP has FSD.

Elon: “Tesla FSD computer’s dual SoCs function like twin engines on planes — they each run different neural nets, so we do get full use of 144 TOPS, but there are enough nets running on each to allow the car to drive to safety if one SoC (or engine in this analogy) fails.

Upvote 0
HW3 redundancy has long ago been scrapped due to needing the extra resources from both SoC’s that are standard on HW3.
In my opinion, a redundant system needs to be actually redundant, as in two totally independent fully functional platforms -- not a dual-socket motherboard. A low power situation or overheating system could fault both at the same time, may be that is what happened to @a1psx.

But what Elon mentioned in 2020 was that the 2 SoCs are two separate processing units. They could still be on one board but it really matters that they don’t share as much as possible. And they function like a symphony - I am just quoting his own word.

Upvote 0