Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple system failure / Wiring Harness Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the thing to bear in mind here, is that this issue doesn't look like it's strictly an issue with the windscreen seal, it's more related to the positioning of a none-water-tight plug that apparently has now been moved slightly and made water-resistant.
If there were larger issues related to the seal, we'd see this issue on the US and other EU LHD cars.
It would be good if there were some images of what has actually changed, as Tesla may not issue a recall and some people may want to protect themselves a little better than pushing at a windscreen seal, as this may only buy time (or at least check if their car has the fix already or is potentially going to fail at some point).
Indeed, but a seal should seal and not allow water to pass, at least not significantly. For me, simply replacing with a waterproof connector isn't curing the root cause. Yes it makes sense to do that but the primary issue is sealing that isn't working very well.

I actually haven't had the electrical failure yet but given the extent of the leak, it probably won't be long and hence why it's going in.

Totally agree that it's worth checking - easy enough to do and could prevent a big problem on the road later on. Just need to get Milton Keynes SC to speak with me now :(

Reactions: JS77
but it's not going to only be the RHD cars where this seal isn't fitted well, it'll be all cars. So it's likely that a large number of model 3's have water leaking past this "seal" and it isn't an issue. It's very unlikely to be 100% so it should be designed to allow water to flow down without damaging anything.

but it's not going to only be the RHD cars where this seal isn't fitted well, it'll be all cars. So it's likely that a large number of model 3's have water leaking past this "seal" and it isn't an issue. It's very unlikely to be 100% so it should be designed to allow water to flow down without damaging anything.
Windscreen cowl is RHD and LHD specific. See parts catalog.

Well, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a seal and if you have a look in the compartment, it seems pretty clear that water isn't meant to be in there. It may miss components or land on kit that's been waterproofed, but longer term issues, e.g. rust, still remain. There are drain ducts at end of the cowl where water is supposed to go, not pi$$ through the seal. It's clearly an issue and hopefully Tesla will sort it. If they just intend to replace the loom and still let water in, I won't be accepting that unless they provide some sort of insurance against any future issues. New cars shouldn't leak o_O

It might be a RHD only problem and it's possible people haven't noticed the water ingress yet either because of the water-resistance of their cable, or because it hasn't had a chance to go wrong yet.

There has been other evidence pointing towards torrential rain being a bit of a phenomenon to the Tesla folks out in California... a boot lid that drops standing water into the boot, composite material on the undertray that falls apart when going through puddles, the aforementioned non water-resistant electical cabling. These problems seem to be being fixed when they appear to be significant, but even so...

It's a RHD specific issue because of the trim design AND where the connector for the steering loom is situated. Both add up to it being a problem.

The connectors used in that location weren't meant to be vulnerable to water. No car uses waterproof connectors everywhere and on the LHD version the position of the wipers and trim obviously doesn't allow water to get down to that area of the loom.

It's an oversight, but it's being dealt with.

Last edited:
What does that mean? A recall? A new part? Do you have some insight here?
The replacement loom piece that they are retrofitting to the early cars is a component they are currently fitting to cars being manufactured (so in theory they have "fixed" the issue).
I'm not aware of any changes to the cowling, which while it is RHD specific I can't believe it's not effectively identical to the LHD in the way it fits and is fitted. Maybe this just needs a "make sure you are correctly fitting the cowling" memo.
My personal opinion is that this should be a recall for the early cars, but others disagree. If clipping the cowling back in place properly and drying the plug off was good enough, then why would they swap the loom out.

Reactions: navt
What does that mean? A recall? A new part? Do you have some insight here?
It's all in this thread I think.

Cars have been modified at the factory for some time now. Any cars already here which are affected to the point where errors are thrown and the owner books a service call will get the new harness. Software has been changed so that water ingress doesn't disable safety systems. Everyone else should check the trim is seated properly and probably won't be affected.

When my M3P had the problem a couple of weeks ago the safety systems were disabled (Emergency breaking, stability control, etc and I think I even saw something about airbags), so I don't think the s/w fix was in 2020.4.1

Also, the notes detailing the work done for the repair say that they only cleaned up the electrical terminals and repositioned the cables rather than replaced with a new harness. They said the existing terminals were still in good condition so did not require replacement. SO, they are not necessarily replacing UK wiring harness with a new, more watertight one.

When my M3P had the problem a couple of weeks ago the safety systems were disabled (Emergency breaking, stability control, etc and I think I even saw something about airbags), so I don't think the s/w fix was in 2020.4.1

Also, the notes detailing the work done for the repair say that they only cleaned up the electrical terminals and repositioned the cables rather than replaced with a new harness. They said the existing terminals were still in good condition so did not require replacement. SO, they are not necessarily replacing UK wiring harness with a new, more watertight one.

Agreed. Mine was also on latest software when it came up with all the faults. I didn't get any documentation from the SC after the repair detailing what was done.

Cars have been modified at the factory for some time now. Any cars already here which are affected to the point where errors are thrown and the owner books a service call will get the new harness. Software has been changed so that water ingress doesn't disable safety systems. Everyone else should check the trim is seated properly and probably won't be affected.
Anecdotal at best. Between 424xxx and 463xxx, over 11,000 RHD (source: Model 3 VINs (@Model3VINs) | Twitter). Granted not all destined to the U.K. Like others, running the latest software. This is my invoice. No replacement of harness.

Concern: Water ingress water loom 22/01/20

Carried out wiring repair to the wiring harness and connectors and a modification to allow the water to escape. Updated
the firmware and confirmed the vehicle is now as designed.

Correction: General Diagnosis

Correction: Disconnect 12V Power

Correction: Underhood Storage Unit (Remove & Replace)

Correction: Harness Connector - Repair (Does Not Include Access Labor)

Correction: Firmware Update - Repair

Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive

Anecdotal at best. Between 424xxx and 463xxx, over 11,000 RHD (source: Model 3 VINs (@Model3VINs) | Twitter). Granted not all destined to the U.K. Like others, running the latest software. This is my invoice. No replacement of harness.

Concern: Water ingress water loom 22/01/20

Carried out wiring repair to the wiring harness and connectors and a modification to allow the water to escape. Updated
the firmware and confirmed the vehicle is now as designed.

Correction: General Diagnosis

Correction: Disconnect 12V Power

Correction: Underhood Storage Unit (Remove & Replace)

Correction: Harness Connector - Repair (Does Not Include Access Labor)

Correction: Firmware Update - Repair

Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive
I take it from this that they didn't resolve how water is getting in? "Modification to allow water to escape" - doesn't sound ideal to me. I can see where the water is pouring in to mine and hopefully they are planning to fix it rather than "modify". No reply from the SC yet.

Here's the description of the rectification to my car ... interestingly there's no mention of the water aspect.
Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 11.13.03.png

• Informative
Reactions: navt
Here's the description of the rectification to my car ... interestingly there's no mention of the water aspect.
View attachment 515653
I'm not sure they're actually curing the root cause i.e. the leak. I've politely requested they address the leak on mine and will advise what they say - assuming I ever manage to get through to the SC that is. I'd much prefer that water doesn't flood in, even if it comes out at bottom of the car. If you get chance, try pouring a jug of water down your screen with the frunk inspection panel removed and take a look under the cowl seal or place some kitchen towel there

I agree. If this isn’t happening on LHD cars, and the presumption is that it isn’t because it doesn’t seem to be reported over there, then it’s a design fault.

I also don’t want water pouring in even if there is a drain hole.

I noticed windscreen cowl not sitting correctly on collection 6/11. It was rectified 11/12 but this included windscreen replacement. Systems failure 22/1. Repaired 4/2. No fault since despite recent heavy downpour. Car is warrantied so I don't really mind how they repaired it. They have confirmed operating as designed so any future liability will be on them (my inconvenience though). This is why I suggest getting SC to address any delivery defects rather than DIY. That way it is on record.

Reactions: Roy W. and Boggle