Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple system failure / Wiring Harness Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 439xxx August delivery also.

I scheduled a service 16th February, they assigned a Mobile Service and havent yet assessed the case. I have rung twice and they will not change to SC, they say wait for the case to be assessed. In the meantime, my power steering now has failed.

Try as I might, I cannot get the seal to fit properly.

I'm 439xxx August delivery also.

I scheduled a service 16th February, they assigned a Mobile Service and havent yet assessed the case. I have rung twice and they will not change to SC, they say wait for the case to be assessed. In the meantime, my power steering now has failed.

Try as I might, I cannot get the seal to fit properly.
Opposite for me. I asked for a ranger as I'm a good way from a service centre but no joy. I'm currently booked into Milton Keynes next week but I'm finding it impossible to contact them to discuss timing etc. I haven't had the errors yet but I do have a monster leak which, like you, I can't fix. It's a pain in the butt to be frank :(

Reactions: benken
Mine fell fowl to this fault tonight, I drove the car this morning in utterly torrential downpour. In fact even with the update on the windscreen wipers- they couldn't move fast enough to clear the water from my screen. Went to get into my car tonight and this happened. Tesla customer service was great. Tesla are collecting the car tomorrow morning.

For the record mine is a M3 PERFORMANCE VIN:502XXX

Reactions: navt
Finally got through to MK SC. They'd logged the car as needing spares ordered but they already had them in stock. However, this got stuck somewhere in their system and my repair status didn't get updated or something like that. Hence the comms black hole.

They've allocated a 3 - 4 hour repair slot starting at 6 am Wednesday (aaaaargh!) so I can wait with the car and drive home. Better this than messing about with a hire car etc.

The guy I spoke with wouldn't be drawn on the full seal repair. He did say that all the service centres had received a "bulletin" but wouldn't be drawn further. From this I take it that they know there is a problem. Check yer seals!

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Good to know, thanks. I’m due to pick up a 6xx VIN at the end of March. Wonder if there will be anything I’ll be able to see visually to verify that it is fixed...

My pickup location hands over cars outside, so I hope it has been sorted by then!

Good to know, thanks. I’m due to pick up a 6xx VIN at the end of March. Wonder if there will be anything I’ll be able to see visually to verify that it is fixed...

My pickup location hands over cars outside, so I hope it has been sorted by then!
I don't think there will be anything visual other than perhaps a misaligned seal. That said mine looks OK other than in a small area and even that's difficult to spot.

I'll be taking a 2 litre bottle of water, lifting the bonnet and inspection cover and pouring it on the screen. If it still pi$$es through it'll be staying at the SC. I intend to tell them this when I hand it over on arrival. They haven't been transparent about what they're proposing to fix so I feel the need to check more carefully than perhaps I would have normally. This recent interaction with service/support has knocked my confidence a bit so hopefully they'll resolve it fully with no further issues

According to the official Facebook owners group the fix for this, communicated to service centres via a bulletin, is waterproofing of the affected cable(s). Doesn’t seem to be any redesigned scuttle panel and/or seal involved.

So basically a “fixed” car may still have water pouring into the front, but it won’t affect the electrics there anymore...

Doesn’t feel good enough to me, especially given how much rain we get over here. How can we be certain all of the water ingress will drain out? I don’t much fancy stagnant water and whatever else might grow there as a result in my car.

According to the official Facebook owners group the fix for this, communicated to service centres via a bulletin, is waterproofing of the affected cable(s). Doesn’t seem to be any redesigned scuttle panel and/or seal involved.

So basically a “fixed” car may still have water pouring into the front, but it won’t affect the electrics there anymore...

Doesn’t feel good enough to me, especially given how much rain we get over here. How can we be certain all of the water ingress will drain out? I don’t much fancy stagnant water and whatever else might grow there as a result in my car.

I would think that most of the cars I've had tend to have some possibility of water running into the engine compartment area from the windscreen zone in some circumstances ... but it then just runs out the bottom down the bulkhead. So long as we can be assured that anything in the path of water dribbles will not be affected, and that it can run out the bottom of the compartment, then all should be well. Unfortunately, so far, we don't seem to have that reassurance.

I would assume the water runs down the channels down the sides of the bonnet, wouldn’t it? Granted you can’t always see where water is going, but from what has been said on here by some it’s not a few drips, it’s a lot of water getting past.

Reactions: Adopado
Well in my book it's supposed to be a seal and it doesn't, at least on my car. It leaks badly, not drips, a full-on stream. So I'll be seeking proper rectification. Can you imagine getting just out of warranty period and the compartment/components are rusting away due to unintended water ingress? If they're happy to document that it won't be a problem in future then fair enough, but I don't see that happening. Shouldn't be happening on any car let alone a £55k one?

Let's see what happens on Wednesday. I may be worrying unduly but it isn't helped by their failure to answer any emails/texts etc.

Well in my book it's supposed to be a seal and it doesn't, at least on my car. It leaks badly, not drips, a full-on stream. So I'll be seeking proper rectification. Can you imagine getting just out of warranty period and the compartment/components are rusting away due to unintended water ingress? If they're happy to document that it won't be a problem in future then fair enough, but I don't see that happening. Shouldn't be happening on any car let alone a £55k one?

Let's see what happens on Wednesday. I may be worrying unduly but it isn't helped by their failure to answer any emails/texts etc.
Please keep us updated.

Will do. Not looking forward to getting up at 3.30am on Wednesday to get to Milton Keynes for 6am but got to be done :( - hopefully no alarms on route and not raining

If the power steering fails don't panic. Obviously the steering becomes very very heavy but so long as the car is moving forward ... in fact the faster the better ... you can turn the wheel without much problem. The only difficult point is moving off from stationary at a T junction (particularly turning left. because of the extra tight circle). You need to use all your strength to get the wheel around whilst moving forward steadily. You will probably not be able to move the wheel at all until the car starts moving so it's a bit scary at first. It's worth thinking about your route, if there are any options, to avoid particularly challenging junctions. Apologies if you know all this!

If the power steering fails don't panic. Obviously the steering becomes very very heavy but so long as the car is moving forward ... in fact the faster the better ... you can turn the wheel without much problem. The only difficult point is moving off from stationary at a T junction (particularly turning left. because of the extra tight circle). You need to use all your strength to get the wheel around whilst moving forward steadily. You will probably not be able to move the wheel at all until the car starts moving so it's a bit scary at first. It's worth thinking about your route, if there are any options, to avoid particularly challenging junctions. Apologies if you know all this!
It had crossed my mind but it's reassuring to know that it's still driveable. I'm a fairly big bloke if I need to wrestle with it, plus it should be a bit quieter at 5am. Fingers crossed it makes it! Cheers