Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music blaring when entering car first time from overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading on various areas about this. One thing that's really bugging me to the core. I leave for work early in the morning and everyday I open my door and music starts blaring when I know for a fact that I paused it before I left the vehicle...

Is there any fix or setting for this that I haven't found yet?

I've had that happen too. You could turn the volume down before you exit your car, and also send feedback to [email protected]. They need to have the paused setting saved when the driver exits the vehicle.

Just did that thank you. I really have a lot of feedback on the Model S Refresh I just got. Really love the car but a lot of little things missing that could make the car really the best period. Things like better lighting in the trunk standard, place to put your sun glasses, cup holders on the door, USB ports on the rear console, AUX port, standard trunk parcel automatic lift, etc.

When I open the door to enter, the music is quite a bit quieter than when I exited previously. Sometime between entering and starting the car, the music resumes at the previously set volume, so you get a little bit of warning before it blasts you, and you can quickly turn it down too before the blast. Does this not happen in your car?

When I open the door to enter, the music is quite a bit quieter than when I exited previously. Sometime between entering and starting the car, the music resumes at the previously set volume, so you get a little bit of warning before it blasts you, and you can quickly turn it down too before the blast. Does this not happen in your car?

Mine seems to default to about a volume setting 5 when I enter the car. My typical routine is to enter the garage, walk along side the passenger side of the car to the trunk, open trunk to put lunch box and laptop bag in, close the trunk, unplug the car and enter car via driver door.

I also noticed I did a software upgrade yesterday morning and the music was at an 8 when it started updating at 3:00am. I had to run out to the car and turn down the volume real quick.

• Funny
Reactions: Austin Powers
I also noticed I did a software upgrade yesterday morning and the music was at an 8 when it started updating at 3:00am. I had to run out to the car and turn down the volume real quick.

LOL. That's ridiculous...

I've noticed inconsistent behavior, which I will investigate further. I had the radio on (Slacker) and paused via the console when I pulled up to get take out for lunch. I was inside for maybe 10 minutes. Came out, got in the car, radio was still paused. I left if off for the short drive home... Ate lunch, was home for about 30-40 minutes and then left to go to an appointment. When I got in the car the radio was back on.

I'm wondering if the car maintains its state for some period of time, like a laptop. That is, all systems remain as is but go to standby. Then, after some additional amount of time, the car goes into sleep or hibernate. Upon wake from the deeper sleep or hibernate, certain function's states are reset.

I agree that it should maintain state. (on or off) Or better yet, there should be a user-selected setting to maintain state or to turn off or turn on at some user-set volume setting. Volume 5 in the late afternoon is a lot louder than 5 first thing in the morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeadEnd
We park our car in a garage, and the garage staff leave the key in the car when it's parked in one of their secure areas. It's a busy place, and when we leave the car for a few days mid-week, they often have to shuffle it around several times a day to get other cars out.

The interaction of those two facts with this infuriating bug (music unpauses when car wakes up) killed one 12V battery for us already and looks to be on its way to killing another. It is just plain stupid that the user's clearly expressed intent (to pause the music) is ignored when the car wakes up.

I've repeatedly reported the bug to Tesla via the voice command "bug report"; I wish they'd do something about it. Between reporting this, with no response or fix, and reporting autopilot problems, I have pretty much concluded that the "bug report" voice command does nothing. Very frustrating.

I have always expressed displeasure with the radio coming-on automatically. The only reason I can think of for this is to mitigate the discovery of creaks and rattles. If the radio is on, you don't hear those things and that's less customers visiting the service center. It drives me nuts that the radio has to come-on automatically as soon as you open the door. If they MUST keep this feature, why not wait at least until your butt is in the seat? This way, at least you can turn it down quickly.

I'm not sure the volume to zero trick works with Slacker. I know it works with FM but you have to remember to turn it down every time you exit the car.

I have always expressed displeasure with the radio coming-on automatically. The only reason I can think of for this is to mitigate the discovery of creaks and rattles. If the radio is on, you don't hear those things and that's less customers visiting the service center. It drives me nuts that the radio has to come-on automatically as soon as you open the door. If they MUST keep this feature, why not wait at least until your butt is in the seat? This way, at least you can turn it down quickly.

I'm not sure the volume to zero trick works with Slacker. I know it works with FM but you have to remember to turn it down every time you exit the car.

The volume trick does work for slacker but STILL...i see it playing when I come in. I actually submitted a feedback ticket and the service center called me. When he called he says "...it's a firmware problem that will take the engineers a lot of time to fix. Not saying they won't fix it. Just saying they will fix it when they get around to it. For now just turn down the volume everyday...".

The fact that it's been reported so many times and it hasn't gotten fixed is just horrible customer service.

The "volume zero trick" also doesn't prevent the entertainment system from powering up and burning a bunch of charge from the 12V as it "plays" through your entire MP3 album (or library, depending how you have it set!) even though no sound comes out of the speakers.

I get it that this area is not a development priority for Tesla right now, but a bug this obvious should not persist so long.

Reactions: BEEZR
Yes it totally bugs me. For some reason some car manufacturers seem to think there's no need for an OFF button - like people always listen to the radio or something. Very annoying. I've complained to Tesla about it before but nada.

It always happens if you're on Slacker radio. If you put it on AM/FM it usually doesn't happen.

My solution is to turn the volume off. LOL it will go ahead and play Slacker tunes, but you can't hear them. If I happen to notice it wasting bandwidth I will stop it.

Reactions: gavine