Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music choices without premium connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why anyone who can afford a Tesla wouldn't continue to subscribe to premium connectivity. It's just reimbursing Tesla for the monthly charge for 4g lte data, just like you would with any other 4g lte service. Why cripple the entertainment features over such a nominal charge?
I don't understand why tesla just can't give us apple or android play.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
But thats not how "premium" works in the car space. Putting aside for the moment whether a tesla model 3 or Y is "premium", BMW / Audi / Porsche etc would usually be considered at least "entry level luxury" by most, and they dont give you hardly anything.

BMW charged extra for backup cameras until they were FORCED BY LAW to include them. Porsche is legendary on their option list, along with its cost. Audi connect costs like $500 for 18 months or something, and none of those let you stream netflix or youtube video on your screen, even for those costs.

Now, before you jump on me, I am not in the camp that says everyone needs to pay for this if they dont find any value there. I find value in being able to not fumble around with hot spot connections, etc, but everyones value system is different.

What I AM saying though, is that I find a lot of people seem to think that "I paid a lot for this premium product" means its supposed to "come with everything" and thats not generally how any premium products (in virtually any space) are. Even things like Appliances, Wolf / Viking ranges cost 5 times as much as regular ones, but its not like they give you everything connected to them for free with them.

Just select USB as the music source in the same way you’d select the radio or Spotify. If it’s not in your list, you might need to go to audio settings and turn it on. You then get a fairly simple display but you can select folder, artist, album etc.

It supports mp3 and flac, I haven’t tried any other formats.
I followed your advice and plugged a ssd drive in the glove box but there is not a usb option available on the music sources. My Y was made 07/22 and maybe a change has been made.

I followed your advice and plugged a ssd drive in the glove box but there is not a usb option available on the music sources. My Y was made 07/22 and maybe a change has been made.
That’s odd. I’ve a MY albeit a little older, and it has it. I’ve just checked my car and there’s no option under audio sources, but it’s there

C136D610-7399-40C9-A827-3A6366794809.jpeg

E877B982-5EA3-4866-B170-93ECD33462AC.jpeg