Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music Streaming (Slacker) on Standard Connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

E90alex

Mar 20, 2022
Seattle, WA
I was under the impression that Tesla's music streaming service (Slacker aka LivexLive aka LiveOne) would still work on Standard Connectivity if using wifi? Is that not true?

My Premium Connectivity trial expired today and I tried wifi tethering but the Streaming service is not accessible anymore at all. It just gives me a login screen with no option to use the Tesla's built in account. After rebooting the infotainment get this screen with some login credentials pre-populated but it doesn't work. And the next time I open that screen the username and password fields are empty.

IMG_1468.jpeg

I was under the impression that Tesla's music streaming service (Slacker aka LivexLive aka LiveOne) would still work on Standard Connectivity if using wifi? Is that not true?

My Premium Connectivity trial expired today and I tried wifi tethering but the Streaming service is not accessible anymore at all. It just gives me a login screen with no option to use the Tesla's built in account. After rebooting the infotainment get this screen with some login credentials pre-populated but it doesn't work. And the next time I open that screen the username and password fields are empty.

View attachment 841822

Teslas website says that streaming media requires premium connectivity:

====================================================

What music & media are available with Standard Connectivity?
Standard Connectivity offers Bluetooth® pairing, FM radio, Sirius XM capability in North America (for XM-enabled and configured vehicles) and playback from a USB drive.

Premium Connectivity is required for in-car streaming music & media over cellular.

A paid subscription to third-party streaming services is required to access music and media streaming for both Standard and Premium Connectivity.

Connectivity Packages​

Connectivity PackagesStandardPremium
Navigation
Live Traffic Visualization-
Sentry Mode - View Live Camera-
Satellite-View Maps-
Video Streaming*⁺-
Caraoke*-
Music Streaming*⁺-
Internet Browser*-
Features subject to change and may vary based on hardware configuration
* Currently available over Wi-Fi for Standard Connectivity
*⁺ A paid subscription to streaming services is required to access music and media streaming

===================================

Note that it also (teslas website) says that standard connectivity is only good for 8 years from vehicle in service date, which was not the case when I took delivery of my vehicle.

Nevertheless, standard connectivity looks like it doesnt include that streaming service over wifi.

... Is that not true...
Yes, it is true. See:

"Can I get Premium Connectivity features by using a mobile hotspot?
Some features that are available with Standard Connectivity over Wi-Fi such as video streaming, Caraoke and the internet browser may also be accessed over mobile hotspots, subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier."

It is time for Service Center.

Yes, it is true. See:

"Can I get Premium Connectivity features by using a mobile hotspot?
Some features that are available with Standard Connectivity over Wi-Fi such as video streaming, Caraoke and the internet browser may also be accessed over mobile hotspots, subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier."

No, music streaming is no longer included in Standard Connectivity even with WiFi. What you posted says video streaming, Caraoke, and the browser will work over WiFi, but not music streaming. See also the Connectivity Packages table posted earlier.

The service center is likely going to refer to the stated information above, and tell the OP that streaming music requires premium connectivity. That doesnt contradict what you posted from the tesla site, which says "video streaming, internet browser, caraoke" (but nothing about music streaming).

I’m out the end of the month. What else have you noticed changed? E.g. Naviagation, voice commands? I really hate subscription services and do everything I can to bypass them.
Without a payment, only 3 features don't work even when connected to a signal like wi-fi or hotspot:

Live Traffic Visualization
Sentry Mode - View Live Camera
Satellite-View Maps

I've heard that without payment, these features still work when connected to a signal like wi-fi or hotspot:

Voice Commands
Video Streaming
Caraoke
Music Streaming
Internet Browser

This thread is the first time I heard Music Streaming is not working, but as @E90alex reported above, his still works.

Without a payment, only 3 features don't work even when connected to a signal like wi-fi or hotspot:

Live Traffic Visualization
Sentry Mode - View Live Camera
Satellite-View Maps

I've heard that without payment, these features still work when connected to a signal like wi-fi or hotspot:

Voice Commands
Video Streaming
Caraoke
Music Streaming
Internet Browser

This thread is the first time I heard Music Streaming is not working, but as @E90alex reported above, his still works.
It used to be true that you could stream music over WiFi with Standard Connectivity, but apparently Tesla changed that recently. The new behavior is clearly documented in the Connectivity support article (Connectivity), an excerpt of which was posted above by @jjrandorin. The fact that it might still be working for some people doesn't mean it will continue to work.

...It used to be true...
That sounds like the policy had changed because when I last looked at the old policy from last year, it did mention wi-fi music streaming was allowable:

"What music & media are available with Standard Connectivity?
Standard Connectivity offers Bluetooth® pairing, FM radio, Sirius XM capability in North America (for XM-enabled and configured cars), playback from a USB drive and music and media streaming over Wi-Fi."

2sytJvq.jpg

That sounds like the policy had changed because when I last looked at the old policy from last year, it did mention wi-fi music streaming was allowable:

"What music & media are available with Standard Connectivity?
Standard Connectivity offers Bluetooth® pairing, FM radio, Sirius XM capability in North America (for XM-enabled and configured cars), playback from a USB drive and music and media streaming over Wi-Fi."

2sytJvq.jpg

But OP has a 2022 vehicle, and this would not be the first time that some policy or other is changed, and impacts people "going forward".

I don’t know if it really works though cause I still have premium connectivity for a while

Will see how that goes for me, likely will pay for it monthly (no annual plans in Canada)

What the screen doesn’t show is sentry mode live view that should only exist with premium unless you can actually view with hotspot…anyone test that out?

Boy to have voice commands dependent on connectivity seems really bad. It’s the only thing I think we’ll really miss. Having to connect via hotspot is not right for general fuctions like vocally changing heat or defrost settings. Sure you can do it manually but things are sometimes buried and not nearly as easy as voice. I have been told by others on TMC that voice is not a cloud based feature but I’m rural and notice the difference in town and out in the country.

Guess I’ll find out when my connectivity iruns out the 27th of this month. I’ll update after I see what’s really going on.