Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Asks About A Texas Gigafactory: Is It For You, Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can easily buy a Tesla in Texas and there are more and more of them on the streets. I ordered my M3 online and picked it up at the Tesla service center in north Houston. Incidentally, in Houston, we now have two Tesla service centers and a separate showroom.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Putting cybertruck production in TX is genius! As others have said he can use it as leverage for direct sales but even if the law isn't changed right away he still benefits by going ahead with the factory. Once the baddest trucks in the world are TX made, sales in TX will accelerate which in turn will further help with the tough image for other southern States. And if the sales ban isn't removed prior to production it will have to be removed after production starts. No way the best truck in the world is produced in TX but the legislature doesn't let Texans buy it to protect dealers, they would look like clowns.

Reactions: TechOps
In the off chance it would help, I just composed and sent letters to my TX representatives supporting Tesla, expressing my displeasure about restrictions on my ability to buy or service Tesla in TX, and my expectation that they will support a Tesla factory if it's proposed. And also noting that I'm an active voter and will watch any legislation on these issues and express my opinions to my friends and family as well. Figured it can't hurt to express the support.

I wish, but I had my hopes dashed for the battery factory that went to Nevada - and I can't blame Tesla, only Texas legislature for not allowing Tesla to sell directly in Texas. Feels like same thing over again...
Well, you guys did get Boca Chica. I grew up in TX and went to UT so I have affinity towards it but they need to change that law now. It’s so in-Conservative anyway.

I love this idea myself. When you think of Texas, you think of the heart of truck country. Just because Tesla can't SELL in Texas doesn't mean they can't build them and distribute from Texas. Further, building a giga in Texas could be just the kind of bargaining chip Tesla needs to get the state to allow them to sell there. Further FURTHER, the mass exodus of California residents leaving the state are moving toooo... TEXAS!
This makes sense on so many different levels.

side note: GM Australia closing down Holden by 2021. Cheap factories?? any good? Perhaps CyberTruck & batteries.
Australia has all the raw materials for Lithium Ion - sadly a very corrupt government.
Batteries could be a fine replacement for coal exports - But Aussie government keeps adding subsidies for coal.
Wind & Solar abundant.

Is there enough right hand drive CyberTruck market to ship from Australia ?? Would Aussie government actually encourage Tesla ??
Probably way down on the list of possible Tesla projects (unless some Aussie talks to Elon about a business plan.

Hopefully the feedback from these replies makes it back to Elon and are considered, because I believe a better choice would be Quebec in Canada. Reasons: 1) abundant and inexpensive hydro electricity (green). 2) talented workforce ripe for the picking with Bombardier breaking up. Lots of the technical and engineering brains that Elon rightly surrounds himself with. 3) a loyal truck buying market in the province AND the country. 4) a great opportunity to give a royal middle finger to Doug Ford over his blatant attempt to screw Tesla the minute he formed government in Ontario. 5)Easy worldwide shipping on the nearby St-Lawrence seaway. 6) Instant accumulation of technical expertise in rail and aircraft design which can be used for Hyperloop as well as Tesla products and innovative approaches. 7) foothold in another stable country with great resources. 8) I might get to take delivery of MY Cybertruck a little sooner. Ok, maybe the last one is an itty bit self serving, but the others are already pretty good reasons with huge upsides for Tesla success. Minions! get this up to Elon right away!

• Love
Reactions: Brando